Jack Monroe #72 It’s not a government briefing, you don’t need to announce locking down

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Sorry, I'm going to slightly derail this thread a bit because you are way off here. I never suggested that debate should be censored or that he shouldn't have been on the programme. I certainly believe everyone should have a seat at the table but it is undeniable that Farage has slipped into the murky area of both hate speech and total lies (remember that billboard during the referendum?) and the BBC should not be giving that a platform. At the very least it should be challenged at every turn.

He is the fourth most frequent Question Time panellist, coming in ahead of him are Clare Short (MP and Secretary of State), Paddy Ashdown (MP, leader of the Lib Dems) and Roy Hattersley (MP and Deputy leader of the Labour Party). Spot the difference. Whilst Farage was an MEP he was leader of a party with 0 MPs, no manifesto and no donation transparency. Some of his appearances featured no Scottish representation or no Lib Dem representation. Worst of all he was once the only MEP on a panel during the European elections!

The fact is, his voice was elevated like a fog horn above many others who absolutely deserved a place at the table. And it was done by a public broadcaster. That's quite the opposite of freedom of speech in my opinion.
Perhaps, the tv producers have entertained him when his party did not have any parliamentary seats in order to offer the far right wing view. They maybe thought they were being balanced. They also know he is going to clash badly with others and that is the kind of car crash tv they want. I do, however, agree with much of what you say because Farage's lack of donation transparency and manifesto was repugnant (along with his opinions).

Reactions: 7
Has she stopped talking about her work on her sm? The only thing I have been seeing talked about on here is about her personal life. Quite frankly I don't want to know.

I don understand why she talks to much about her personal life on sm. I assume most of her followers just want to follow her work and learn how to make something out or nothing or for very little money.

The things she talks about on there should really he for her friends and families eyes only. Her millions of fans do not need to know especially on her work page. Well I don't think.. I'd never share that much of myself with work colleagues unless they were a really good mate.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Just saw this in a shop window. Published in June 2020. Has Jackie been all up in someone's niche?

1.png

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 56
I am certainly not a Farage lover, but he has been on QT 38 times in 19 years. It works out at an average of 1.8 times a year, less than once every six months. Over exaggeration only serves to invalidate a statement.

It is my opinion that it is a dangerous route to go down to no platform people, it just drives extremists underground and they increase in number unseen. Better to have them out in the open and discuss and argue as to why their opinion is wrong. I am not saying that Farage's views were adequately debated, but who's views were on that programme?

I would liken it to Jackie's Twitter account. Jackie is the master of not allowing dissenting voices. It hasn't stopped us having our opinion of her, in fact it has hardened our view, and we are a growing band of dissenters. However it has had the effect of driving us into our version of undergeound, Tattle.

I think all views should be debated openly, homophobic, misogynistic, racist, the lot. They need to be seen to be argued against and their opinions shown to be wrong.

That was deep since I'm completely knackered after having a sleepless night last night. Here's to a more restful night.
Totally agree with you here. It’s Jack’s arrogance & rudeness that also drives people here. Even a polite question or comment that is reasonable is enough to get you blocked. As stated previously, I bought her vegan book and got piled on by her fans for daring to ask why she dropped it, having made the book money.
Echo chambers don’t work. That’s what’s making her worse, as well as the constant victim playing

• Heart
Reactions: 25
This morning’s tweet fest: if ever this was evidence that she posts shite for likes this is it.

I don’t think I have ever seen anyone (“famous” or otherwise) dump such a random assortment of brain junk in such a short space of time.

Something is definitely up.

ETA. Stop 🛑 trying to get free drinks.

• Haha
Reactions: 24
This. I have a hell of a lot more time without my kid than Jack does and her dad is rather too involved if you ask me, but all the comments of you’re not a single mum make my stomach hurt a bit because I carry the world of her with me alone in my own life and can’t share much with an ex I don’t get on with. I do completely acknowledge that being without the other parent at all is another kettle of fish but hopefully I don’t lay claim to someone else’s struggle just by appreciating my own.

Personally don’t care for commenting on her parenting when there is so much else in the public domain we can comment on plus any dead naming I don’t like either but ‘shan’t’ police the thread!
@GrunkaLunka and @Alansbigplate are always worth listening to on here. I've felt a bit funny about the 'she's not a single mum' posts for a while. I have several friends who would describe themselves as single parents (and so would I) because they are divorced and have the kids most of the time. And I can see that their lives are very different to mine, as my sons' dad and I are happily shacked up and parent together. Yes, he often works very long hours and some weeks I'm with the kids all the time and he's away, but it still is very different, as I have his emotional support all the time, even when he isn't here physically. I get the sense that often separated parents who co-parent very successfully, are still emotionally more alone than those of us who are not. That's a different burden and just because her ex is still involved and by all accounts a good dad doesn't mean she isn't a single mum.

I hate the performative use of her kid's images and anecdotes about him, but I don't think it's fair to make assumptions about her being a tit parent, about how often the kid is with his dad or insinuate that she's going to lose custody.

• Heart
Reactions: 44
She’s a bit of a hypocrite about the booze. Reacting snarkily to a random circular promoting booze. (It wouldn’t have killed her to be polite). But on the other hand she is sufficiently relaxed about the “grey area” to drink kombucha and non-alcoholic beer (both of which contain small amounts of alcohol), when the usual advice for recovering alcoholics is to avoid those products.
Also, insisting that her giving up booze is “well publicised” is another “are you familiar with my body of work?” How pompous. In her head, she’s incredibly famous, rather than just a fading bit-player on the edges of the food-blogging world.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 46
I just need to quickly reply to this off topic. Promise it will be my last on the matter. I dislike Farage as much as most people, but won't let misinformation pass.
Sorry, I'm going to slightly derail this thread a bit because you are way off here.
I am not "way off". You stated that Farage was given a "near weekly platform" on QT, that was clearly an exaggeration that needed to be called out. He has appeared 38 times in 19 years, an average of 1.8 times a year. Once every 6 months, not weekly. I stated that it weakens your argument to exaggerate so wildly. It is something that we complain that R Jackie does, so we should not do the same.

I never suggested that debate should be censored or that he shouldn't have been on the programme. I certainly believe everyone should have a seat at the table but it is undeniable that Farage has slipped into the murky area of both hate speech and total lies (remember that billboard during the referendum?) and the BBC should not be giving that a platform. At the very least it should be challenged at every turn.
Where else can debate be had for the vast majority of the pubic if not on the BBC? By not allowing Farage to be on the BBC (as you are suggesting in this very post) you are not allowing debate and hence you are censoring debate. Whether he was sufficiently challenged is another question, one that I am sure we would both agree. His views were certainly not challenged strongly enough, definitely not "at every turn". I have been a political activist most my life, mainly with LGBT+ politics, and in my early youth the Labour Party. The way we changed peoples attitudes was not by no platforming people, it was by allowing them to speak and challenging those attitudes with the truth. Eventually we won over the vast majority of right thinking people. In the words of Voltaire "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to death your right to say it ".

Jack does not allow us to have our say. I understand that she would disapprove of what we say, but by denying us that right she is living in a false world where other people are ignored. It just drives those dissenting voices underground.

He is the fourth most frequent Question Time panellist, coming in ahead of him are Clare Short (MP and Secretary of State), Paddy Ashdown (MP, leader of the Lib Dems) and Roy Hattersley (MP and Deputy leader of the Labour Party). Spot the difference. Whilst Farage was an MEP he was leader of a party with 0 MPs, no manifesto and no donation transparency. Some of his appearances featured no Scottish representation or no Lib Dem representation. Worst of all he was once the only MEP on a panel during the European elections!
The people you mention were the representatives of their respective parties, he was the sole representative of his party. For a fairer comparison, you should be equating how many times each party was represented on each programme, not the individuals. Like it or not, he had and still does have his supporters, and their voices should be heard and challenged. You will never win over people by ignoring they exist. I am not saying the programme adequately challenged his views, but the programme didn't challenge anyone's views. QT is just a televised slanging match where people are never asked to qualify their stances.

The fact is, his voice was elevated like a fog horn above many others who absolutely deserved a place at the table. And it was done by a public broadcaster. That's quite the opposite of freedom of speech in my opinion.
That is where I disagree completely. He was gaining popularity, if he was not allowed a public platform by a public broadcaster, that would have been censoring debate, something you state that you are against. His views should have been challenged, but it is the job of those in the other parties to call him out. They were at QT every week, they failed at every turn to explain why Farage was so very wrong (mostly because a very large part of the Conservatives agreed with him).

I would genuinely like to debate with Jack in public, and pull apart her many spurious claims. We are denied that because she lives in an echo chamber of her own making. She is no platforming us as a group. Our voices are not being heard and we are growing in strength and numbers. That is what happens when you drive people underground.

I promise never to venture into politics again on this forum.

Administrators.....delete if you think I have strayed too far. I have tried to link it to Jack's behaviour, but if you think it too tenuous a link I SHAN'T be offended if it is deleted. Thankyou

ETA, it is a good job that we have first past the post electoral system. Because, with AV or PR, as the Greens and Liberals want, he would have had a huge number of MPs in Parliament after the 2017 election.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 45
The single mum thing is only an issue because 1. she declined to mention that Dad was involved in the hunger hurts days, this definitely undermines her narrative of those days and probably reflected badly on him. And 2. She deliberately lies and plays the single mum card for sympathy. example "oh poor me i've had no childcare throughout the whole entire lockdown" and the next day on This Morning "oh he's at his Dads". This is where the criticism comes from, because she lies, exaggerates and manipulates.

I wonder if there are any school run mums here...
I literally cannot begin to contemplate how the 'single mum who couldn't afford to feed her child properly and was forced to sell his toys' narrative must have utterly destroyed SB's dad. He must also have family, friends, colleagues, some of whom must have wondered how he let something like that happen. I think it proves what a decent type he must be to not only fly under the radar, but not publicly defend himself as he would have been within his rights to do. He was probably the only good decision she's made in her life.

Her weird obsession with being famous was all about throwing a good person under the bus. She is such an awful human being.

• Heart
Reactions: 30
@GrunkaLunka and @Alansbigplate are always worth listening to on here. I've felt a bit funny about the 'she's not a single mum' posts for a while. I have several friends who would describe themselves as single parents (and so would I) because they are divorced and have the kids most of the time. And I can see that their lives are very different to mine, as my sons' dad and I are happily shacked up and parent together. Yes, he often works very long hours and some weeks I'm with the kids all the time and he's away, but it still is very different, as I have his emotional support all the time, even when he isn't here physically. I get the sense that often separated parents who co-parent very successfully, are still emotionally more alone than those of us who are not. That's a different burden and just because her ex is still involved and by all accounts a good dad doesn't mean she isn't a single mum.

I hate the performative use of her kid's images and anecdotes about him, but I don't think it's fair to make assumptions about her being a tit parent, about how often the kid is with his dad or insinuate that she's going to lose custody.
Thank you so Matt much, Harry. That means a lot coming from you. (Honestly though, thank you that is very kind)

I do agree with all who are saying her origin tale of woe was missing the vitally important fact that her son's father was involved. It didn't suit her narrative and the tragic "more bread and jam" has less of an impact when you know he was going to his Dad's regularly for a proper dinner and he probably would've been more than happy to get a Tesco order in once a week.

What you've said about single parenting is very succinct, there's such a difference between a partner working late/away and the reality that no one else is coming home, ever. There isn't someone you can call to sound off a worry, or make a joint decision with. Every choice you make alone weighs heavy on your mind. And as @Alansbigplate alluded, even if the other parent is involved, it is common that the resident parent is the one consumed by their role.

• Heart
Reactions: 39
Fresh from taking a mass mailing to task, now off for a big daytime sleep with big snores before rising like Bagpuss at 3pm for big chuckles in the garden.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 25
I just need to quickly reply to this off topic. Promise it will be my last on the matter. I dislike Farage as much as most people, but won't let misinformation pass.

I am not "way off". You stated that Farage was given a "near weekly platform" on QT, that was clearly an exaggeration that needed to be called out. He has appeared 38 times in 19 years, an average of 1.8 times a year. Once every 6 months, not weekly. I stated that it weakens your argument to exaggerate so wildly. It is something that we complain that R Jackie does, so we should not do the same.

Where else can debate be had for the vast majority of the pubic if not on the BBC? By not allowing Farage to be on the BBC (as you are suggesting in this very post) you are not allowing debate and hence you are censoring debate. Whether he was sufficiently challenged is another question, one that I am sure we would both agree. His views were certainly not challenged strongly enough, definitely not "at every turn". I have been a political activist most my life, mainly with LGBT+ politics, and in my early youth the Labour Party. The way we changed peoples attitudes was not by no platforming people, it was by allowing them to speak and challenging those attitudes with the truth. Eventually we won over the vast majority of right thinking people. In the words of Voltaire "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to death your right to say it ".

Jack does not allow us to have our say. I understand that she would disapprove of what we say, but by denying us that right she is living in a false world where other people are ignored. It just drives those dissenting voices underground.

The people you mention were the representatives of their respective parties, he was the sole representative of his party. For a fairer comparison, you should be equating how many times each party was represented on each programme, not the individuals. Like it or not, he had and still does have his supporters, and their voices should be heard and challenged. You will never win over people by ignoring they exist. I am not saying the programme adequately challenged his views, but the programme didn't challenge anyone's views. QT is just a televised slanging match where people are never asked to qualify their stances.

That is where I disagree completely. He was gaining popularity, if he was not allowed a public platform by a public broadcaster, that would have been censoring debate, something you state that you are against. His views should have been challenged, but it is the job of those in the other parties to call him out. They were at QT every week, they failed at every turn to explain why Farage was so very wrong (mostly because a very large part of the Conservatives agreed with him).

I would genuinely like to debate with Jack in public, and pull apart her many spurious claims. We are denied that because she lives in an echo chamber of her own making. She is no platforming us as a group. Our voices are not being heard and we are growing in strength and numbers. That is what happens when you drive people underground.

I promise never to venture into politics again on this forum.

Administrators.....delete if you think I have strayed too far. I have tried to link it to Jack's behaviour, but if you think it too tenuous a link I SHAN'T be offended if it is deleted. Thankyou

ETA, it is a good job that we have first past the post electoral system. Because, with AV or PR, as the Greens and Liberals want, he would have had a huge number of MPs in Parliament after the 2017 election.
Thank you again @MancBee for so eloquently putting this all into words.

This post deserves to be read by all. 🙌🙌🙌

(Also big love for the Voltaire quote, I wish more people would understand and embrace this view ♥)

• Heart
Reactions: 20
She's tweeting over a quarter of a million of her closest friends calling her son "an insufferable poseur".

Nice.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 37
Thanks to those for the posts on the single parent thing. Its really eye opening how it's challenging even with a supportive co parent. I guess I agree that Jack has appropriated the experiences of lone parents /single parents on a tight budget in a disingenuous way, but there's still nothing wrong with her using the label single parent as such.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
For a writer and self-proclaimed "scathing essayist", our dear Jackie doesn't half rely on hyperbole to make her point. Every anger is "wild", every rage "white hot", every joy the happiest she's felt "for months", and so on (and on and on and on). I feel this undermines what she says, (though she doesn't need additional help with undermining what she says). This should be of particular concern for the manifesto for change she says she's writing (HOW MANY DAYS LEFT?) - no matter how well intentioned, if it comes across as a GCSE level rant, it will have failed. Gawd bless her editor/fact checkers.
wouldn't a proper writer gather their resources and fact check before they started writing.

• Haha
Reactions: 20
Thank you for taking the time to raise really valid points about single parenthood @Alansbigplate , @Harrybosch & @GrunkaLunka. It's all been noted and I totally understand and appreciate your perspectives. I'll definitely be more careful about that line of criticism in future. Thankyou x

• Heart
Reactions: 43
Thanks to those for the posts on the single parent thing. Its really eye opening how it's challenging even with a supportive co parent. I guess I agree that Jack has appropriated the experiences of lone parents /single parents on a tight budget in a disingenuous way, but there's still nothing wrong with her using the label single parent as such.
I think, as others have said, that much of what she gives as her narrative are of her being completely alone and then people tit on the dad for not being around when he is.

I also don't think it's a problem to question if she's able to parent to the best of her abilities if she's tweeting 24/7, doing a 'chaos' all the time, putting him in positions where he has to check if she's alive. It must be exhausting living in that household. Since March, SB has had his second future step mum leave, had his mum pretend her hair has fallen out, watched his mum do re-decoration/studio projects that came to nothing, had his mum start a pile-on against his favourite author, had a new pet in the house that became the love of his mum's life before it quickly died, then had his mum immediately leave for a holiday in Edinburgh, then just on the eve of him going back to school, he had to deal with his mum's black eye A&E episode. In addition to that, SB is alone in a house with a mum who is either working all hours or sleeping all hours (or most probably tweeting all hours) and is now parading him on twitter trying to tell a story of how lovely it's been to have quality time together over lockdown.

I'm having therapy because of my narc mum. Just because you are housed, clothed and fed and your parents aren't violent or substance abusers etc etc doesn't mean that all is well.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 69
She's tweeting over a quarter of a million of her closest friends calling her son "an insufferable poseur".

Nice.
Seriously?

Considering she’s tweeting to over a quarter of a million people, is it time to start sharing her Twitter posts again for those of us that can’t see?

Reactions: 15
I feel like when she went 'viral' in 2012/3/4 though, she never mentioned the Dad was in the picture/supporting her. If she's doing 6 days though (if that's what she's now saying on Twitter) then fair enough, that's the bulk of parenting and maybe despicable is a bit of a harsh word - I take that back 😂.

I do think it's still not right to lump herself in with single mums who receive no financial support/custody days though.
I do see this point though, it makes it so she just spins things how she wants and it brings relevance to the dad in the picture or not thing. It’s jack who based her entire shtick on not being able to feed her child so that’s where the bottom falls out of her dOnT BrInG HIm iNtO tHiS argument

• Angry
  • Heart
Reactions: 23
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.