Jack Monroe #69 I can see clearly now the make-up’s gone

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
She's talking about roast chickens A LOT for someone who is "90% vegan" :rolleyes:
Don’t be silly. Being vegan is a privilege that poor people can’t have (semi agree) AND you can’t be a ‘food writer’ and be vegan! (Hard disagree). So instead you MUST buy the worst produced cheap ham you can find even when it’s just for yourself on holiday.

now duck off.

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 30
What's she got against olive oil?

It's healthiest oil you can buy, and people in Southern Europe eat it as it is with bread, despite the fact it apparently 'doesn't taste great'. For her to talk about ingredients going 'rancid' is a little rich, considering some of her creations.

And a bottle lasts me ages.

She doesn't really know anything about food. That's the tragedy about the whole thing.
Not to get all up in your niche but I'm quite sure cold pressed rapeseed is even healthier than olive oil. I gave up olive everything after finding out about the cruelty involved towards songbirds when the olives are harvested.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 25
I am a lurker and have been since the first thread, just been blocked by Jackie on Twitter 😮 ps you lot really make me laugh, keep up the good work, I'm going back to my lurking now 🥰

• Heart
Reactions: 19
New suggestion for Twitter bio -

Jack Monroe. Co parent. Nutribullet user. Chaos creator. Triangulator. Former ballerina. Former vegan. Now vegan (90%).

Now follow me or absolutely get fucked.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 39
Although her advice about oil was ridiculou, hat was the incarnation of Jack that she should have stuck with. She was also so much better on camera then. What happened?

I'm sure that all of us here would love to buy you a mountain of those chickens. My mother knew what it was to go to bed starving under a pile of blankets and getting perhaps one meal a day. Her childhood was brutal and yet she revelled in telling us about all the games that she and her siblings and friends played in the backstreets, using whatever they could find to entertain themselves. No-one should have to go hungry today.
There are so many kind people here. Addiction lockdown and unemployment has honestly been the worst combination of bad situations for me, and I can imagine for a lot of people. I ran up huge credit card debts during my alcoholism which were affordable whilst I was still working. Lockdown hit and suddenly half my Uc payment after my rent goes to my credit cards. Entierely is my own doing but this is what brought me to JMs threads. She’s just so bloody disingenuous and insulting to people who are poor but especially to recovering addicts. She has a financial security a lot of us will never know

• Heart
Reactions: 51
Actually, I’m pretty sure you can only have a blue tick if your account is public.
So if she takes it private, her account could very well lose the blue tick.
I wonder if she’s considered that.
Correct, you can't be verified with a blue tick and be private, it's one or the other.... 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 16
If I have to read the word chicken dick again on this thread I think I may dry heave, is this another PR move to make her food feel less repulsive? It may resemble bodily fluid but it’s not... a chicken dick guys!

• Haha
Reactions: 31
I can picture a seance/exorcism type gathering. Rid Cack of these unclean spirits!

Also forgot to mention @Hunty so glad you're back 🤗
Thank you so much, 😁, hope you are doing good? I think if my broken brain remembers rightly you took some time out right around the time I stepped back 🙂

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Exactly. Or she could say that he loves fish pie but it’s a faff to make, especially if you’re not cooking for a crowd.

That response could be copied and pasted from Mumsnet, which is rife with orthorexics, competitive undereating and genuine EDs. I’m not saying there’s anything wrong with you at all, but I think it’s patronising beyond belief to suggest that anyone who believes Jack is thin is too desensitised by fatties to know what a healthy weight looks like.
Do you have any proof that mumsnet is “rife” with EDs or are you just baselessly judging?

It is not patronising. You don’t think 2/3 of the population being overweight - or 90% of people if you go by body fat percentage rather than BMI - has an effect on what is seen as normal? Jack is simply not “thin”. Anyone who thinks otherwise either has skewed judgement or a vendetta against slim women. She is bigger than me and I am not underweight.

I am absolutely sick of the concern trolling, disingenuous hand wringing, insults, accusations and bullying that slim women face, all while pretending that it’s for our own good.

In my opinion accusations of being “too thin” are the exact same insult against appearance as claiming someone is too fat. I would say the same about accusations of eating disorders, if Jack herself hasn’t been Munchausen-ing about EDs.

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 12
There are so many kind people here. Addiction lockdown and unemployment has honestly been the worst combination of bad situations for me, and I can imagine for a lot of people. I ran up huge credit card debts during my alcoholism which were affordable whilst I was still working. Lockdown hit and suddenly half my Uc payment after my rent goes to my credit cards. Entierely is my own doing but this is what brought me to JMs threads. She’s just so bloody disingenuous and insulting to people who are poor but especially to recovering addicts. She has a financial security a lot of us will never know
I 100% recommend Step Change if you haven’t approached them already ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 31
Same ^. I was in a similar position after my marriage broke up (partly due to my alcohol use), and Step Change gave me advice. I ended up in an IVA which may not be the right thing for you but it saved me. Step Change can advise you on suitable options
I hope you can get back on your feet ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 26
Do you have any proof that mumsnet is “rife” with EDs or are you just baselessly judging?

It is not patronising. You don’t think 2/3 of the population being overweight - or 90% of people if you go by body fat percentage rather than BMI - has an effect on what is seen as normal? Jack is simply not “thin”. Anyone who thinks otherwise either has skewed judgement or a vendetta against slim women. She is bigger than me and I am not underweight.

I am absolutely sick of the concern trolling, disingenuous hand wringing, insults, accusations and bullying that slim women face, all while pretending that it’s for our own good.

In my opinion accusations of being “too thin” are the exact same insult against appearance as claiming someone is too fat. I would say the same about accusations of eating disorders, if Jack herself hasn’t been Munchausen-ing about EDs.
Do you hate fat people? I am sick of reading skewed & triggered opinions which are outright offensive.

Vendetta against slim women lol. Ffs.

• Heart
  • Sick
Reactions: 54
am absolutely sick of the concern trolling, disingenuous hand wringing, insults, accusations and bullying that slim women face, all while pretending that it’s for our own good.
It’s a fact that in our current society describing someone as “slim” is nothing like using the word “fat”. You get slim fit on clothing, for example, you don’t get “fat fit”. Fat is always used as a negative slur. Fat bleep, etc. Fat lazy bastard...fat cow. Now try those phrases with slim. Nobody ever says “slim” like that unless they use it towards an overweight person as a jibe.

• Heart
  • Sick
Reactions: 48
Mumsnet hacks. Cheap substitutes for fancy ingredients.

Just in case you're bored 🙃

This is amazing, thanks. I feel like we've been over risotto before, but again: no, Jack. Is this your jollof rice? You also can't really substitute carrot for sweet potato in many dishes. Carrot chips, anyone? How about baked carrot wedges? Just because they're both orange...

Of course olive oil tastes better than sunflower oil, and it doesn't go rancid quickly unless you're leaving it in direct sunlight with the lid off? She also repeats the myth that you can't fry with it. Don't fry with EVOO, fry with light olive oil, it has a high smoke point and millions of people in southern Europe have yet to drop dead from cooking with it. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Beyond that, what tit tips...half boil down to "can't afford X? Buy a cheaper brand of X instead." No tit, Sherlock. Also what happened to her origin story of not knowing how to cook until she became poor, then learning by reading the ingredient lists on the back of Lloyd Grossman sauce bottles? That was one thing I could believe, I doubt Lloyd Grossman bottles have details like: "onions (fried)".

• Haha
Reactions: 27
You sound like you’re being very hard on yourself. You were ill, you made mistakes and you’ve clearly been facing up to them, which is something to be so proud of (and something Jack can never seem to do). It’s not your fault there was then a global pandemic which has made it even harder. Cut yourself a bit of slack, it sounds like you’ve done incredibly to make it so far. I hope better days are ahead.

• Heart
Reactions: 52
Especially when (I am now finding out), chickens don’t actually have dicks.
This evening has certainly taken a strange turn.
My great uncle was a chicken sexer. He travelled the world sexing chickens until he lost his sexing finger in an axe accident. And this is absolutely true. Surely if they had dicks he would t have been needed...

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 35
You sound like you’re being very hard on yourself. You were ill, you made mistakes and you’ve clearly been facing up to them, which is something to be so proud of (and something Jack can never seem to do). It’s not your fault there was then a global pandemic which has made it even harder. Cut yourself a bit of slack, it sounds like you’ve done incredibly to make it so far. I hope better days are ahead.
Agree. If you can be kind to yourself xx

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.