Jack Monroe #65 Green gages and ham

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I thought somebody said they exploded? 🤔 much like the garlic in the microwave. Maybe we should rename her tin hat cook as the kitchen turns into a war zone 😆
I tried to microwave tinned potatoes yesterday.. they exploded! I like to smash them up a bit and airfry them with olive oil and rosemary when I cant be bothered to cut a potato up!

• Wow
Reactions: 8
She said recently that all her relationships failed due to her PTSD. I assume from her being on benefits and how it affected her relationships.

I struggle to understand this to be honest. I’ve been skint more or less for the last decade. Both in and out of work. Yes it’s crap but you get on with it, what else can you do. I’m a bit better off now but jack made her name and her living out of being broke and cooking cheap meals.

On some level she is choosing to relive her moments that make her struggle mentally. Over and over again and again.

If she needs to let that all go or at least put it in its place then it’s time to do something new for a career. She really has dined out on hunger hurts for long enough.

As for her being a political activist don’t make me laugh. I’ve done more politically than she has in the last 6 years and there are far more people out there much more politically engaged than I am.

Also. I totally agree with the narrative of why should poor people eat slop? Why all the mad substitutes? Give over. I’d rather eat beans on toast 7 days a week than some of the idiotic stuff she cooks.

• Heart
Reactions: 52
That would be my TV moment of the decade (I know we're only at the start, but I'm confident nothing in the next 9 years would top it).

Just imagine...

John and Gregg: "So what are you making for us today Jack?"

Jack: "Well I'm just kinda winging it, just chucking in a few things and seeing how it turns out, I'm confident it'll be perfect because I've learned to trust my maverick instincts. I'm so nervous and I've got loads to do, so I'd like to just crack on if that's OK with you, thankyou."

John and Gregg: "OK, but presentation has been a bit of an issue for you in the past. Can you make sure that your dish has restaurant-quality appearance for our panel of judges today?"

Jack: "Yes, absolutely x"

Later...

*frantic music*

John and Gregg: "Two minutes for your starter Jack."

Jack: "duck OFF, I'M BUSY"

Later still...

*India Fisher narration*

"Food blogger Jack Monroe has made a salad of wilted frozen spinach, hand-podded borlotti beans and tinned pineapple chunks, topped with grated Spam, malted milk biscuit dust and bottled lemon juice. For her main course, she has prepared a cassoulet of rinsed baked beans, tinned macaroni cheese and salmon paste, served with a fondant standard potato, a Biscoff spread reduction, a lime marmalade puree and a greengage foam, topped with crumbled sage & onion stuffing and plenty of black pepper."

Jack: *proceeds to launch into her poverty story after bringing her dishes to the judges*

Judges: Thank you Jack, if you could just leave us to taste the food...actually, on second thought, could you take it with you please."
Superb 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 12
She said recently that all her relationships failed due to her PTSD. I assume from her being on benefits and how it affected her relationships.

I struggle to understand this to be honest. I’ve been skint more or less for the last decade. Both in and out of work. Yes it’s crap but you get on with it, what else can you do. I’m a bit better off now but jack made her name and her living out of being broke and cooking cheap meals.

On some level she is choosing to relive her moments that make her struggle mentally. Over and over again and again.

If she needs to let that all go or at least put it in its place then it’s time to do something new for a career. She really has dined out on hunger hurts for long enough.

As for her being a political activist don’t make me laugh. I’ve done more politically than she has in the last 6 years and there are far more people out there much more politically engaged than I am.

Also. I totally agree with the narrative of why should poor people eat slop? Why all the mad substitutes? Give over. I’d rather eat beans on toast 7 days a week than some of the idiotic stuff she cooks.
Excellent post. I can't see how she can pursue a career cooking on tv or write more cookery books because her lack of basic knowledge and skill vis a vis food preparation will be glaringly obvious to the general public, rather than just Tattlers. She should look into further education/training opportunities, particularly now that her son is getting older.

Reactions: 18
Wasn’t her last book part memoir, part inedible slop? There is no need to include your back story in every book you write, just like there being no need to reel off your entire CV every time you introduce yourself. Accept that you aren’t poor any more, and that it’s ok to move on. Oh, and take a proper break! Maybe use the time to learn some fundamental cooking skills?
Tbf she might be less busy thankyou. If she wrote less stuff about her background and more about the food.

I don't know about you but when chefs/ cooks talk about a certain dish and say I first tasted this when I was a lad fresh out of college and had taken a trip somewhere and watched the chefs prepare this dish with the exotic ingredients and amazing colours even better when it was followed by the amazing tasting experience I felt when I tried it. Makes me think yes that sounds good.

I don't feel the same way about trying a dish when it's backstory was...

It was a chilly day, the windows rattled in the frames as I shivered through my sixteen layers of clothing as I sliently opened a tin of spam and boiled it with mushrooms and a dusty bit of onion. I looked across and saw the mountain of bills and I turned the pan to simmer.

That doesn't have the same effect. It might just be me though.

• Haha
Reactions: 45
That would be my TV moment of the decade (I know we're only at the start, but I'm confident nothing in the next 9 years would top it).

Just imagine...

John and Gregg: "So what are you making for us today Jack?"

Jack: "Well I'm just kinda winging it, just chucking in a few things and seeing how it turns out, I'm confident it'll be perfect because I've learned to trust my maverick instincts. I'm so nervous and I've got loads to do, so I'd like to just crack on if that's OK with you, thankyou."

John and Gregg: "OK, but presentation has been a bit of an issue for you in the past. Can you make sure that your dish has restaurant-quality appearance for our panel of judges today?"

Jack: "Yes, absolutely x"

Later...

*frantic music*

John and Gregg: "Two minutes for your starter Jack."

Jack: "duck OFF, I'M BUSY"

Later still...

*India Fisher narration*

"Food blogger Jack Monroe has made a salad of wilted frozen spinach, hand-podded borlotti beans and tinned pineapple chunks, topped with grated Spam, malted milk biscuit dust and bottled lemon juice. For her main course, she has prepared a cassoulet of rinsed baked beans, tinned macaroni cheese and salmon paste, served with a fondant standard potato, a Biscoff spread reduction, a lime marmalade puree and a greengage foam, topped with crumbled sage & onion stuffing and plenty of black pepper."

Jack: *proceeds to launch into her poverty story after bringing her dishes to the judges*

Judges: Thank you Jack, if you could just leave us to taste the food...actually, on second thought, could you take it with you please."
Omg, hooting. This is exactly what would (and needs) to happen 😂😂😂

• Heart
Reactions: 15
I can’t believe for a second time, I feel uncomfortable about the photo of a pet she has.

The nose is clearly worse than in the summer. Once again Jack... get your cat to the damn vets!

• Sad
Reactions: 26
Because potatoes are renowned for being extremely expensive. Poor people are allowed to enjoy things, Jackie!

014B536A-0AB5-4A73-8A47-C83C33C42E08.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 16
You can buy a bag of Tesco's wonky potatoes for like a quid I think in tescos. I know not everyone as a quid to hand but there's normally enough in there for quite a few dinners. So it a cost effective way to shop, as they are just a versatile as rice and pasta.

In fact I'd buy potatoes before I would buy rice but that just because I am northern Irish I guess. 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 27

That's called 'being a self obsessed, controlling, manipulative and jealous partner who manufactures crises to isolate the partner from their independent support network whilst maintaining the outward appearance of being one of life's perpetual victims'.

Like the bloke who does it because his ex 'slept with a hundred random men' when the poor cow only left the house for five minutes to take the kids to school. Or the woman who can't handle the fact there's a woman working in the same office so might actually walk past his desk on the way to the toilet.

She's a skipping, frolicking, hooting version of Bancroft's Victim.

• Heart
Reactions: 31
I've just remembered that we're still waiting for the dramatic reading of "Potatoes" we were threatened with weeks ago. I was particularly looking forward to the interpretive dance interlude to accompany the "curling into a ball, howling, roaring, sobbing, clawing at the floor" segment.
Her writing is so subtle and understated

• Haha
Reactions: 23
So it's OK for her to make 5 different dishes for herself for dinner last night? That's not a luxury, but buying waxy potatoes is?

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 39
Because potatoes are renowned for being extremely expensive. Poor people are allowed to enjoy things, Jackie!

View attachment 227662
Shes such a dick. If she was really wanting to give decent advice she could suggest a Maris Piper. For many people this is a decent tattie to cover most "everyday dinner" bases. They're great boiled, mashed, roasted, chipped, baked. Much nicer and easier than trying to get a crispy roast tattie or a fluffy mash from a waxy potato. Yet again, shes talking shite.

• Heart
Reactions: 42
Shes such a dick. If she was really wanting to give decent advice she could suggest a Maris Piper. For many people this is a decent tattie to cover most "everyday dinner" bases. They're great boiled, mashed, roasted, chipped, baked. Much nicer and easier than trying to get a crispy roast tattie or a fluffy mash from a waxy potato. Yet again, shes talking shite.
Yes! Given that waxy potatoes are generally the more expensive ones, and won't work as well for this, why doesn't she just say 'get a floury potato'. It makes no sense to suggest that the dearer ones will work just as well.

Reactions: 18
I can't believe she's posting shop-prepared dishes and photographing them like she made them. We suspected it before with the Greek spread but those potatoes are undoubtedly those from Waitrose. You can't change my mind on that. Of course, it's Jack's favourite move, she never actually SAID she made them, did she?

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 37
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.