Jack Monroe #65 Green gages and ham

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Tinned potatoes are handy if you need to throw together a quick potato salad. But you have to overcompensate with good mayo and fresh chives.
Black pepper optional.

Reactions: 11
Darl? Good grief, all Ozzy now.

Her table might be 2 metres long, but the dining room is so cold she doesn't even put the heating on (well that wouldn't help) so they had better wear thermals and bring a hot water bottle. And wasn't her table an old cracked formica one just the other day when she was going to eat greengage and ham?
That must have been in the other dining area, the one near the nook? 😀

• Haha
Reactions: 9
I've just remembered that we're still waiting for the dramatic reading of "Potatoes" we were threatened with weeks ago. I was particularly looking forward to the interpretive dance interlude to accompany the "curling into a ball, howling, roaring, sobbing, clawing at the floor" segment.

• Haha
Reactions: 41
I think she’s put all that horrible greasy looking food on her grid to try and push down the weird selfies because all her work has dried up. It won’t last long though! I can’t get over that terrible mushroom pic! :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Someone mentioned this earlier but I think our wee Jack has been to Tesco's.
They also look suspiciously similar to the ones from M&S (FANCY).
Nah Waitrose I reckon. Look, they even have the sprig of rosemary that hers does... 😏

View attachment 227565

Tesco ... M&S ... Waitrose ... does it really matter? Jack is all about taking simple ingredients / complex ready meals and making them her own after all.

39702636-sxHkI.jpg

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 46
Agreed. Seeing her flippant response to that reply made me feel incredibly angry.

She has absolutely no idea what it's like to be in that kind of situation. No safety net, not even the possibility of benefits or a comfortable family you can turn to when tit hits the fan. As I've mentioned here before, I know from a mutual (ex) friend of hers that her situation was one she actively chose. No-one has possibly had it worse in history, compared to Wor Jackie.

I can fully imagine her being on one of those Sky News boats, 'reporting' on desperate refugees trying to cross the Chanel. Maybe she starts out well, asking one of them about their circumstances. But then it quickly becomes JM's Oppression Olympics. 'Enforced conscription, endemic violence and civil war? Well my cavernous bungalow is too draughty, now duck off x'
Her immediate instinct is to centre herself. We see it time and time again.

In response to the question about the most petty annoyances. For me it's the cosplaying of other people's traits and styles. Nigella did the gluttonous- eating in bed thing. The description of her grandad eating greengages is very like how Ruby Tandoh writes. And then there's the ayes/so it is/tumblr speak etc.

Reactions: 15
She should read Nigel Slaters stuff. My husband as his cook book and it's very simple tasty cooking. We don't use it often but the roast chicken in it is delicious.

Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.