Jack Monroe #65 Green gages and ham

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
There's about 15 replies now under her post about how it doesn't matter which potatoes you use, all of them disagreeing with her. She's not going to be happy about having her 'expertise' challenged. People can get very passionate about potatoes!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 47
I don't think she invited anyone round. She followed a recipe that 'serves four' and insinuated she ate the lot herself cos she's a GREEDY GOBLIN :rolleyes:
She definitely wouldn’t have invited anybody round to the artic dining room with the radiator off, no doubt still set up as a 'kitchen' 🙄 in these sub zero temperatures.

• Haha
Reactions: 10
Didn’t she tell people to roast tinned potatoes at one point? 🤔
Surely that wouldn’t work - they’d be too wet from having been tinned in water, they’d never get that crusty roasted effect. I would think tinned potatoes are for putting in a stew, if anything.

• Sick
Reactions: 10
Surely that wouldn’t work - they’d be too wet from having been tinned in water, they’d never get that crusty roasted effect. I would think tinned potatoes are for putting in a stew, if anything.
I thought somebody said they exploded? 🤔 much like the garlic in the microwave. Maybe we should rename her tin hat cook as the kitchen turns into a war zone 😆

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 24
It's clear looking at her posts that she hasn't really got much of a clue about food at all! She got lucky getting 'discovered' a few years ago and managed to cobble together some crap books but she's absolutely no idea about food really. Allegra must have cringed. Jack reminds me of when Adrian Mole works in that restaurant that sells liver and onion slop for mega money to people who were so pretentious they believed it tasted good.
It’s striking how little she knows about the basics, and what you might call the science of cooking - stuff like why you should cook the onions and spices first, why textures and different cooking methods are important, etc. Even an occasional home cook knows more than she does. She really showed herself up on DKL with her breezy comments on sourdough, the fat content of mince etc. and she’s still at it with her disastrous attempt at jam, boiling mushrooms, etc. Most of all, she’s shown no sign of actually wanting to learn.

• Heart
Reactions: 26
Even an occasional home cook knows more than she does. She really showed herself up on DKL with her breezy comments on sourdough, the fat content of mince etc.
So Jack, why are some potatoes floury and some waxy?
Well, they just ARE, aren't they! Some have flour added in and some have wax added in.

• Haha
Reactions: 66
My favourite kitchen utensil is my pale blue Nigella mini whisk. A few years ago she brought out a really beautiful kitchen range.

If Mack the Strife ever brought out a range it would consist of a grater ( for the corned beef) and a colander ( for the beans and stewed steak).

• Haha
Reactions: 22
I always use tinned potatoes (sliced in half) in my vegetable curries, they work surprisingly well. I would NOT, under any circumstances attempt roast them 🤢

• Sick
Reactions: 12
Canadian flag.Upcoming maple syrup recipe's and upcoming training to be a Mountie
No, no, you have this all wrong. She was a Mountie, the best Mountie in Southend, for years. Don't you dare say that she needs training! Mounties get training from her!

ETA - we all know she probably uses tattle to adapt / delete / and get ideas - so shouldn't all the fraus get some money if she's apparently paying people to write about poverty for the best memoir that has ever been written, ever?

• Haha
Talking of the basics, the one she seems to give the widest berth to is hygiene. She maybe at home, and cooking for herself, but she has a duty not to mislead her flying monkeys.

One of the most dangerous things you can catch from soil Is tetanus. Filthy hands with soil under the nails, ouchy mouth (chewed lips) broken skin. Let’s hope her vaccinactions are up to date! No laughing matter, a horrible way to go.

My favourite kitchen utensil is my pale blue Nigella mini whisk. A few years ago she brought out a really beautiful kitchen range.

If Mack the Strife ever brought out a range it would consist of a grater ( for the corned beef) and a colander ( for the beans and stewed steak).
Would it include a slopometer?

• Haha
No, no, you have this all wrong. She was a Mountie, the best Mountie in Southend, for years. Don't you dare say that she needs training! Mounties get training from her!
... she’s half Canadian! Yea yea, from the fathers side. Loves maple syrup, cooks the best poutine, she even speaks fluent Canadian. In fact, now you mention it, she’s been meaning to get more in touch with her Canadian heritage. It’s who she really she is, every time she walks outside she gets a strong pining for the green green grass of her one true home, Canada.

• Haha
Reactions: 31
ETA - we all know she probably uses tattle to adapt / delete / and get ideas - so shouldn't all the fraus get some money if she's apparently paying people to write about poverty for the best memoir that has ever been written, ever?
Let's also face it - the only people who are going to read that memoir are us tattlers, it's going to give us a wealth of material.

• Haha
Reactions: 30
... she’s half Canadian! Yea yea, from the fathers side. Loves maple syrup, cooks the best poutine, she even speaks fluent Canadian. In fact, now you mention it, she’s been meaning to get more in touch with her Canadian heritage. It’s who she really she is, every time she walks outside she gets a strong pining for the green green grass of her one true home, Canada.
Im eagerly awaiting Maple Syrup, Quebec.

• Haha
Reactions: 26
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.