Jack Monroe #65 Green gages and ham

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I am the last person to defend R Jackie, but tins of stewing steak or corned beef and similar are often the sorts of things found in a foodbank box. It is therefore a good idea to provide some ideas for using such items. Where I do not agree with the Maverick one is the terrible concoctions she comes up with, they would just end up in the bin. When you are relying on foodbanks you can not afford to waste food on a recipe that you may not like. It is not quite as simple as fresh meat is cheaper, it is what you get in the food box, it isn't a choice.

As an example, when I received a tin of stewing steak in a foodbank box, I did not rinse off the gravy and make some sort of slop overpowered with garlic and raw onions with mandarin segments (that I could use for a pudding). I added lots of fresh veg, made pastry and made a pie that fed me and two of my neighbours who were also reliant on benefits. It was healthy and actually very tasty. I do not understand R Jackie's obsession with attempting to make some weird food combinations that people may or may not find appealing (I would put money on that they would not). Because if you are on the breadline you cannot take the risk of wasting what little food you do have.
(Yes) absolutely if it's only foodbank users she's considering with examples like this. But it's the way she suggests that some of these maverick ideas of hers are somehow more cost effective. They often just aren't.
As you say, you wouldn't have washed a quarter of the tin of food away and replaced it with other things!

Reactions: 18
I just watched Buddy Oliver create pizzas on Instagram. He’s done more than she did on that tit Shed show in terms of explanation and direction, has done the whole thing from start to finish without getting hysterical, and has actually produced something that looks tasty. Obvs (hi Jack 👍🏼) when she reads this she’ll be screaming nepotism, but his dad hasn’t bought him his cheerful attitude and actual ability to chop bloody garlic.
Just watched that, it was really good. Not only the actual cooking but whoever produced the video has done a good job with editing and graphics. I can't remember ever having seen any graphics etc on Jack's videos, not that I've watched many. It looks quite simple but very effective.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Out of interest, what's the going rate for submitting a well written and largely truthful piece for inclusion in a memoir like this? Is there a different rate for retaining anonymity/privacy?
Yes, I wondered this as well. And what are the ‘selection criteria’? I’m guessing you have to submit your story in writing...which could then be appropriated, and not credited?

Reactions: 9
Why doesn't she petition Tesco's etc to do something with their left over fresh foods where it can be distributed at closing time by volunteers to people rather than the bin. I am talking about left over bread and cooked foods or chicken other meats.

She could ask resturants to do the same, to giver over any foods that havent been purchased and are going to spoil out to volunteers to distribute to the hungry.
Both of these things happen.

Fareshare is a way for supermarkets to distribute food to charities - I collected the leftover food 4 times a week from Tesco & Waitrose & delivered it to a local charity supporting the homeless. Different volunteers on different days for different supermarkets & charities.
City Harvest collects leftover food from restaurants and in house catering (pre-Covid) and distributes it.

• Heart
Reactions: 26
I used to take tins of stewed steak when we went away road racing in the caravan due to limited fridge space, I used to make into a pie with ready made pastry. Something that you could have ready for when practice finished.

I used to take the air fryer and do chips in it. Fancy!

Never felt the need to wash it

Reactions: 12
I just watched Buddy Oliver create pizzas on Instagram. He’s done more than she did on that tit Shed show in terms of explanation and direction, has done the whole thing from start to finish without getting hysterical, and has actually produced something that looks tasty. Obvs (hi Jack 👍🏼) when she reads this she’ll be screaming nepotism, but his dad hasn’t bought him his cheerful attitude and actual ability to chop bloody garlic. Buddy also clearly has an interest and determination that Jamie’s other kids don’t have for cooking, and I heard JO say, on someone or others’ podcast, that Buddy will happily do 12 hour days with him in a professional kitchen. I don’t think we’ve ever seen Jackie complete a recipe from start to finish, have we? My worst recipe of hers must surely be ‘sausagne’ 🤮 where she put raw sausages and an uncooked tin of tomatoes into a lasagne. Rank.
That will be the same nepotism that got her a job as a call handler. I think she is putting her memoir out as a counter response to Tattle. Her version will be the official version where she has full control of the lies narrative.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
So she's trying to get people's stories on not being afford to eat but tweeting how she can afford to put her heating on in her large bungalow in August. 😔
Is no piddling thought she has not announced as soon as it pops into her dreary head?

• Haha
Reactions: 8
So she's trying to get people's stories on not being afford to eat but tweeting how she can afford to put her heating on in her large bungalow in August. 😔
Just put a bloody jumper on! It’s a bit chilly today but no way near heating weather!

Reactions: 14
Jack, you are a bellend. If you don’t want commentary on you putting your heating on, then how’s about you don’t tweet about it. Well done for a wearing a bleeping jumper, thermals, vest, slipper socks and vest - it’s all bullshit, but bravo.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 69
I am quite chilly today but I just stuck a jumper on, it's hardly heating weather. Get up and so some housework you will be nice and warm then.

Someone suggested she put a jumper on...
Are we sure she is not in the south pole? Bloody hell it's chilly but not freezing good luck this winter.

Also if she doesn't want people to say stuff perhaps don't share it on sm. Tell a close mate? 🤷

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 16
9219FE88-30AA-423A-B8B5-8D7312CDEFC6.jpeg

Or alternatively, Twitter: Where you invite opinion by tweting your own. Innit.

She’s a head. Can’t be arsed with her.

• Angry
  • Haha
Reactions: 65
Jack, I would recommend shutting your aggressive pie hole on Twitter (and everywhere come to think of it) if you don’t want opinions on stuff you’re clearly tweeting to get people to give opinions on 🤪

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 32
Jack, you are a bellend. If you don’t want commentary on you putting your heating on, then how’s about you don’t tweet about it. Well done for a wearing a bleeping jumper, thermals, vest, slipper socks and vest - it’s all bullshit, but bravo.
She seems to send out these inane tweets spoiling for a fight. She *wants* someone to offer innocent thoughts so that she can come down hard on them. She’s a dick.

Reactions: 25
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.