Jack Monroe #64 One hand refreshing Twitter, and the other one playing the piano

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'd say she's on the countdown to a major tantrum. The Gizzy/Miguel thing and the whole tin can festival will have her fuming, the paranoia that anyone asking simple questions on her socials is from Tattle, Allegra not calling to offer her a supper club night at her restaurant...

Batten down the hatches folks x

Short interview with Allegra. At around 1:35 she mentions that she is violently allergic to oysters. What a huge coincidence that Jackie suffers from this too! Or is she doing her usual trick of borrowing stories from other people, because she’s an empty husk of a human?
Allegra’s food looks lovely there, it must be so difficult to go from eating all that fancy stuff to scraping the tar like residue that is your dinner off your long suffering slow cooker.

• Haha
Reactions: 35
A few years ago Salvo the clown came into where I was working. He was in his full clown gear, big shoes, red nose - the works. He was in total squeaky voice clown mode, then my colleague asked what the Salvo on his hat meant. He said in a deep, scary voice "salvation of the lord, for all you sinners" it was the creepiest thing ive ever heard.it was like a switch had flipped. I've given him a wide berth ever since!
Yes he is deeply devout. Fortunately my offspring were never interested in his balloon models, but Owl man! they loved seeing the owls. Have you heard of Penny Picker Steve?

Moment of off-topic madness, but Twitter can be awful can't it!?

I've just witnessed a pile on instigated by a well respected science communicator (who will remain nameless, but who I've always liked) which was very Monroe-esque. In fairness, the guy who has been piled on left the kind of comment that only an obnoxious hole would leave, but they've done the same thing as JM; retweeted his comment, expressed their anger, made no attempt whatsoever to restrain the hounds...

I think the cabal has opened my eyes a bit 👀 only ever witnessed the good bits of Twitter firsthand before (tbf I follow mostly runners and talk about trainers, splits and sweet potato 🔺) but it really seems to bring out the worst in people. What is this pile on shittery actually all about!? I can't see any gain from it.

JM being particcccularly toxic, ofc.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
For the first time in this whole mad life, now I’ve had time and space to rest and think and explore, I actually think I might want to be a professional footballer one day.

(The only reason it has happened thus far is because this is *literally* the very first time I’ve thought about it. What’s that? Skill, talent, knowledge and dedication.... yea yea, was born with all of those things. How hard can it be??)

• Haha
Reactions: 30
Moment of off-topic madness, but Twitter can be awful can't it!?

I've just witnessed a pile on instigated by a well respected science communicator (who will remain nameless, but who I've always liked) which was very Monroe-esque. In fairness, the guy who has been piled on left the kind of comment that only an obnoxious hole would leave, but they've done the same thing as JM; retweeted his comment, expressed their anger, made no attempt whatsoever to restrain the hounds...

I think the cabal has opened my eyes a bit 👀 only ever witnessed the good bits of Twitter firsthand before (tbf I follow mostly runners and talk about trainers, splits and sweet potato 🔺) but it really seems to bring out the worst in people. What is this pile on shittery actually all about!? I can't see any gain from it.

JM being particcccularly toxic, ofc.
I listened to a podcast called Might Delete Later yesterday that had Nish Kumar on. He was talking about how great twitter as a platform is, and how he regretted causing a pile on in one of his earlier years of using it. Was a really interesting listen that maybe Jack should take some notes on, (cos we all you you're reading this).

Reactions: 18
I’m very surprised she hasn’t jumped on the story of the poor single mother who died in Scotland and made it all about her.

• Sad
Reactions: 9
She’s already THOUGHT OF THAT!
Regardless of whether or not people like her food or not isn't it a huge risk to have her in your kitchen because her food is still pretty out there and you normally accquire certain clientele to your eatery. Surely something completely different to something that they are expecting could potentially put them off

Reactions: 3
The bowl isn't that big. They are the Sophie Conran ones. I've seen them in John Lewis and I'm certain that's the cereal bowl size not some massive one as she says it is.
Thank you for this, I actually quite like those bowls so was wondering where they were from! It's just crockery I like though, I draw the line at hammocks and sideboards and leopard print bags!

• Haha
Reactions: 10
How on Earth has she come to that conclusion?

Drugs?
Or
Paranoia?
Short interview with Allegra. At around 1:35 she mentions that she is violently allergic to oysters. What a huge coincidence that Jackie suffers from this too! Or is she doing her usual trick of borrowing stories from other people, because she’s an empty husk of a human?

Allegra is actually massively attractive 😍 not hugely photogenic but yeah I'm straight and I kinda fancy her here!

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Yes he is deeply devout. Fortunately my offspring were never interested in his balloon models, but Owl man! they loved seeing the owls. Have you heard of Penny Picker Steve?
My kids were always terrified of the owl man! Don't know penny picker Steve? Had dealings with swastikas man and manky leg man. I miss the south American pan pipe dudes, though! #southendrocks

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Allegra is actually massively attractive 😍 not hugely photogenic but yeah I'm straight and I kinda fancy her here!
I agree. Her love for food is very evident, she seems all sparkly when she talks about it. I think she would be absolutely the best company 😍😍

Reactions: 18
My kids were always terrified of the owl man! Don't know penny picker Steve? Had dealings with swastikas man and manky leg man. I miss the south American pan pipe dudes, though! #southendrocks
Manky leg guy has kept that ulcer running for years. I have so far avoided him personally, swastika guy I think I may have crossed path with on a professional basis. Penny Picker Steve. He literally walked the Town centre, with a bucket picking up change and legend had it that he was loaded, from the word go... Look, he's a legend! https://www.facebook.com/The-Penny-Picker-Steve-Fan-Club-214620511921430

Reactions: 2
I listened to a podcast called Might Delete Later yesterday that had Nish Kumar on. He was talking about how great twitter as a platform is, and how he regretted causing a pile on in one of his earlier years of using it. Was a really interesting listen that maybe Jack should take some notes on, (cos we all you you're reading this).
I quite like Nish Kumar, I'm glad he had the humanity to regret it. Twitter certainly seems to bring out a weird mentality in some people. I guess if you're someone with a well known name, sure you'll get the occasional troll but you'll also get a number of people who adore you and are willing to blindly defend you to the hilt. Amongst the well balanced and critically thinking majority of course, but even just a few must create a bit of a god complex.

Might have to give that podcast a listen...

Reactions: 9
  • Haha
Reactions: 1
I quite like Nish Kumar, I'm glad he had the humanity to regret it. Twitter certainly seems to bring out a weird mentality in some people. I guess if you're someone with a well known name, sure you'll get the occasional troll but you'll also get a number of people who adore you and are willing to blindly defend you to the hilt. Amongst the well balanced and critically thinking majority of course, but even just a few must create a bit of a god complex.

Might have to give that podcast a listen...
It’s difficult to really put a finger on what it is exactly about twitter which makes it so toxic. Have a theory, may as well share it now... it’s like giving a microphone to the inner egos of it’s users. As in, it’s like the little voice that is the first to react to any given situation, without any social filter. (Ie: someone opens a door onto your own car door. Inner voice - Knobhead!! Social filter - ah don’t worry about, accidents happen, insurance will cover that etc etc...) And when these inner-voices find agreement from others they become a group of inner-voices, being total twats collectively. Thus we have Twitter.

Theres my 2-pence worth.

• Heart
Reactions: 26
Ooo do you visit THAT MAN. at the end of the pier?

Reactions: 4
For the first time in this whole mad life, now I’ve had time and space to rest and think and explore, I actually think I might want to be a professional footballer one day.

(The only reason it has happened thus far is because this is *literally* the very first time I’ve thought about it. What’s that? Skill, talent, knowledge and dedication.... yea yea, was born with all of those things. How hard can it be??)
Yay!!
I am now embarking on my career as a brain surgeon for exactly the same reasons!

I agree. Her love for food is very evident, she seems all sparkly when she talks about it. I think she would be absolutely the best company 😍😍
I've mentioned before about how joyful she with food. I love Allegra! She made a programme ages ago (I've forgotten the name!!!) teaching time poor families to cook.
It was her and another chef (again, can't remember who, sorry Cabal!) trying to get these people to cook for themselves and fall in love with eating again.
The one thing that sticks in my mind is the absolute joy Allegra had when one family made stock out of a roast chicken carcass. She was nearly in tears.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 21
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.