Jack Monroe #560 Publication cancelled

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Oh dear god no! You’ve only gone and summoned the room of requirement!

Reactions: 33
Thought I'd do a middle of the night grunk... And oh my eyes! How much crap does she own? She should just start a shop - Junk and Disorderly.

Reactions: 42
Thought I'd do a middle of the night grunk... And oh my eyes! How much crap does she own? She should just start a shop - Junk and Disorderly.
All that crap! It would just close in on you.

I always think about all the tut hanging in the various kitchens, gently accumulating a furry layer of greasy dust.

Reactions: 51
Do we think she tells people that she's snogged Marcus Wareing?

Reactions: 35
How could you see pictures of the sheer amount of stuff she owns and send her money?

ETA: she had such a good following and at one point, she was providing content. A tipjar still could have got her a tidy sum if she had just said something like “hey not struggling but if you can afford to and you like my recipes a coffee would be nice”. But no. She was so greedy she created fake legal cases and wrote beggy blogs.

Last edited:
Reactions: 54
Hopefully this is her truly finished now - although I do fear she'll try and come back somehow.

Reactions: 24
I mean it’s this kind of thing that reveals the truth, which is that she’s never really been poor, she has a spending addiction. GENUINELY poor and unfairly waged people don’t need to bother with performative shit like announcing New Year’s resolutions not to spend anything or giving themselves Saturday wage packets because the money IS SIMPLY NOT THERE. They will spend what they have because that it all they have. Anything extra goes towards the kids or the house or paying down debt or just a nice treat like a night out. You don’t need to announce that you’re going to stop spending, because you don’t have the money to spend.

Jacks entire story from the house sale to present day is a story of a spending addiction which regularly lands her in the red, causing her to panic and grift. And fair enough spending addiction is a real problem, there are 12 step groups for it and it can wreak havoc on the sufferers life and family. But it’s not the same as being chronically unfairly waged and/or economically disadvantaged from a structural class perspective, which is what she claims to be an expert on.

Ironically she could have been a better and more successful public figure had she been honest about her spending addiction and talked about her struggles and treatment. There’s definitely a gap for that because with social media constantly urging us to buy shite we don’t need, a lot of people are vulnerable to falling into this addiction, especially younger women.

Reactions: 98
every word of this @moldwarp

Reactions: 23
All these dangling accoutrements are perfect examples of her Busyworking. It's "Look at meeee, I have to have all this stuff to hand as I'm working 200 hour weeks creating" whereas, we all know they are all just there for show/gathering dust.

Just all performative.

Reactions: 40
She couldn’t just have one of something - she had to push it to the nth degree.

I remember someone challenging her on Twitter for having so many bowls, pots or cutlery. Can’t remember which - but she countered it by saying they were props for her work. (It might have been the charity shop-esque shelf pics).

Miguel Barclay has been quite honest about the props he uses for his book pics - he hires the stuff in. That way he can use a wide variety of items which are always different without having a house full of chipped bowls and tarnished eating irons.

He showed his trips to the props warehouse on his stories so you could follow the evolution of his books through from recipe writing, testing to the book shoots. He’s not the most innovative of chefs but he’s used his social media in a very canny way.

Reactions: 55
I've never seen the original kitchen. As an interiors-loving-wanker-frau, I just did a sharp intake of breath. I love furniture and constantly move stuff round (am I Jack?) but jeez her style is migraine inducing.

Reactions: 32
Guest has really fucked things up. When she started her original grift she should have used it as an opportunity to actually learn how to cook. Like properly develop a skill to fall back on. Instead she has spent over a decade lying, buying utter guff and showing off on Twitter.
She’s too greedy and entitled to have any savings. It won’t be long before she is genuinely suffering from the poverty she has claimed to have experienced.

Reactions: 53
It’s ok. She’ll have all her wonderful tips and recipes to fall back on…

Reactions: 38
Yeah I mean I’ve said this before but after pretending to be able to do something for 10 years, wouldn’t you actually pick some skills up even accidentally? That’s partly how on the job training works after all. But with Jack, it’s like she’s literally been putting a lot of proactive effort into NOT picking up any skills or knowledge along the way. Which, I’m not a psychologist, but I think it’s quite revealing of her arrogant and lazy mindset.

Reactions: 53
She’s probably put more effort into not working than she has working.

Reactions: 51
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.