Jack Monroe #56 I, Jack Monroe

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I am assuming that because the Edinburgh trip tweets have been deleted then it didn’t happen?

• Haha
Reactions: 37
Jack thoughts of the day:

Regarding her alleged £2000 open house sale, I don’t bleeping believe her. People who are doing their utmost to clear out their homes would be absolutely blessed to make £200 at a proper boot or garage sale. Let alone the awkwardness of trying to attract customers into your actual home. No one would turn up, and if they did, there wouldn’t be £2000 worth to sell. If there was, like most boot sale sellers, it would be a miracle if she sold 5% of her goods. People don’t want most of the things you have. Finally, there is no way that people would be vulture-like enough to be stripping her home if things that don’t look like goods to sell. (Finally finally, not to mention she’s recently claimed she lived on the 12th floor of a tower block with broken lifts! Who’s going to bother entering a private block of flats and trudge up 12 flights of stairs to view someone’s useless junk?)

———————————

Regarding her writing, it occurred to me that her language shows that her essays/posts/whatever are aimed at fellow middle class people, from the perspective of a middle class person.

Firstly, impoverished people don’t need to be told what being impoverished is like because they already know. Her writing is to inform the middle class.

Secondly, there is no linguistic sign that she truly sees working class people as her own. Her language feels like from the outside looking in.

She never talks *to* working class or impoverished people, and never uses “we” “our”, or describes shared experiences that are relatable to working class people. (With this last point, she sometimes intends to, but they are so unrealistic and dramatic that it’s obviously all about her being the poorest and putting on a poverty display for middle class people).

She doesn’t describe any community experiences of similar poverty, as if she was the only one going through it. Which would make sense if she had no working class friends or community.

Third, the way she describes her poverty experience is as if she found it utterly shocking, which would only make sense if she’d never experienced anything like it before, as would be the case for a middle class person. It reads like a middle class person describing their shock and horror at once dipping a toe into peasantry.

• Heart
Reactions: 48
She’s asking for advice. Can we lay a bet on how long it will take before she turns on people offering advice?

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 38
Mind racing, not eating, irritability and all the other symptoms are also consistent with somebody overcooked on inappropriately prescribed or too high a dose amphetamines.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 37
You remember all those ‘what if everybody jumped at the same time, would the earth move slightly’ chats?... Do you reckon the collective Jackie induced eye rolling, might one day wobble the earth a bit on its axis?

Maybe climate change is not the biggest threat of our time...:confused:

• Haha
Reactions: 28
So upshot is, I don’t feel well should I go to the Doctor? Yes, Jackie, absolutely x

• Haha
Reactions: 32
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.