Jack Monroe #56 I, Jack Monroe

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Is she a stick?! I don’t get it.View attachment 198669
she’s such a pain.
Do keep up.

On an emotional level, JM used to be just like Jenny’s dahlia: beautiful, blooming, healthy and whole (body of work). But, since those glory days of emotional well-being, JM has been ravaged by a cabal of slugs and all her petals fell off (hence the bikini shot).

• Haha
Reactions: 36
Richard Osman is a precious jewel and I will not have anything said against him

• Heart
Reactions: 21
I don't understand how I asking someone if they are still with their partner intrusive. I get it hurts, but you just say no not anymore im not ready to talk about it etc. Shuts the convo off but remains polite.

Not every person that follows her spends a zillion hours scrolling through her feed in the hope of seeing whether not her partner left?!
I think accusing someone of being intrusive whilst completely over sharing about her nakedness is a bit rich.

• Haha
Reactions: 46
Even her Twitter bio’s a stroppy answer to an argument no-one started.

View attachment 198634
The lack of a comma after 'yes' really gets to me.

I was staggered to see so much chatter on here about Jack when I first discovered these threads. At times I've felt really sorry for her because she is clearly struggling. Break ups are hard and the work she got in lockdown that was criticised must have been stressful. I've admittedly winced a lot at all the flack she gets. However, when I saw the goading of A R-M this week when she knows that it causes pile ons, I just can't help but think she's horrible. Why can't she take the high road and use those types of opportunities to make definitive actions to help people in need? Jack's situation is clearly comfortable - sign post charities or showcase actual people who are living in poverty and need help. For example, suggest you could narrate or be involved with a TV programme that shows how hard it is to be living in poverty, not suggest a gameshow esque poverty cos-play for entertainment (that you've slagged off before and clearly would get paid for). The irony! Much like wearing a kindness top and bullying people publicly on Twitter I guess...

• Heart
Reactions: 23
Hate to agree with her, but I have issues with a magnum/ice cream being called a lolly. Though I do stretch to a strawberry mivi being a lolly 🤷🏻‍♀️
I realise this is a deeply divisive and controversial issue fraught with all sorts of ramifications but I have to say it - magnum is really ice cream.

As for the crime novel, it won't happen. But if it did....

... the protagonist would definitely be a plucky and rebellious lesbian working class single mum, who has pulled herself up by the very straps of her hardworking boots and made a successful career of having tattoos, blending things and swearing on social media.

She is called in to investigate after a policewoman, a tv chef and a bafta award winning tv producer are all murdered in the same distinctive fashion - choked to death on a tin of unrinsed beans.

• Haha
Reactions: 54
I realise this is a deeply divisive and controversial issue fraught with all sorts of ramifications but I have to say it - magnum is really ice cream.

As for the crime novel, it won't happen. But if it did....

... the protagonist would definitely be a plucky and rebellious lesbian working class single mum, who has pulled herself up by the very straps of her hardworking boots and made a successful career of having tattoos, blending things and swearing on social media.

She is called in to investigate after a policewoman, a tv chef and a bafta award winning tv producer are all murdered in the same distinctive fashion - choked to death on a tin of unrinsed beans.
I can see it as a cozy novel with a lot of only one star reviews

• Haha
Reactions: 9
Ian Rankin is a great guy. He's spotted regularly around the city just doing... normal things. The absolute polar opposite of Jack. There is no way he'd be duped by her.
I once met him in a lift at my work. Thought he looked familiar but just blethered to the colleague with him. It was only when I was back at my desk that the penny dropped who he was!

• Heart
Reactions: 10
The lack of a comma after 'yes' really gets to me.

I was staggered to see so much chatter on here about Jack when I first discovered these threads. At times I've felt really sorry for her because she is clearly struggling. Break ups are hard and the work she got in lockdown that was criticised must have been stressful. I've admittedly winced a lot at all the flack she gets. However, when I saw the goading of A R-M this week when she knows that it causes pile ons, I just can't help but think she's horrible. Why can't she take the high road and use those types of opportunities to make definitive actions to help people in need? Jack's situation is clearly comfortable - sign post charities or showcase actual people who are living in poverty and need help. For example, suggest you could narrate or be involved with a TV programme that shows how hard it is to be living in poverty, not suggest a gameshow esque poverty cos-play for entertainment (that you've slagged off before and clearly would get paid for). The irony! Much like wearing a kindness top and bullying people publicly on Twitter I guess...
She always plays the man not the ball.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
. Is anyone on here, who has survived a childhood defined by a parent's mental illness, had the experience as an adult of thinking, well, it probably wasn't that bad, children have been through worse than me...and yet are fully aware that they've been bleeping damaged somewhere along the way? Jack's comments on abuse have triggered me, and I'm struggling to know what adult survivors of abuse really feel. Was it normalised until the child left home and realised that what had occurred was absolutely abuse, tied up in a controlling narrative of 'We do this because we love you soooo much?'

. Is anyone on here, who has survived a childhood defined by a parent's mental illness, had the experience as an adult of thinking, well, it probably wasn't that bad, children have been through worse than me...and yet are fully aware that they've been bleeping damaged somewhere along the way? Jack's comments on abuse have triggered me, and I'm struggling to know what adult survivors of abuse really feel. Was it normalised until the child left home and realised that what had occurred was absolutely abuse, tied up in a controlling narrative of 'We do this because we love you soooo much?'
Im so sorry, I put a spoiler alert on Mental Illness on my post and it doesn't seem to have worked. Huge apologies.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 35
Hi fraus, I’m just popping out from 90% lurkdom to say hi and thank you for all your wit and insight!

I listen to many podcasts, and I’ve listened to nearly all of this series. The presenter, Margie doesn’t seem to make them anymore which is a shame as I like the premise, even though she does say “that’s SO interesting” a lot. Anyhow, at the time when she was releasing weekly episodes, I skipped the Monroe one as I kind of knew who she was and I definitely knew she was irritating so I gave that one a miss. Fast forward to now and I thought I would take one for the team and subject myself to that nasal whine to see what she had to say,

Take a listen while you are cleaning the loo or preparing Jackie’s famous Saus-agne for dinner tonight.

Lots of multiples of THREE mentioned and a few other discrepancies to what she has previously or had since stated. I can’t remember specifics as I was actually cleaning the loo and bathroom at the time (not furiously writing notes in one of my three notebooks) but I do know I had a few 🧐🤔🙄 moments, no surprise there!

Oh, and that memoir she’s currently writing? Perfectly happy to sell the Hollywood rights to that when she’s finished 😉

Edited to add: most people on that podcast, including top Michelin chefs, when asked what is the best thing they’ve ever eaten, talk about an epic meal at their favourite restaurant run a fellow chef, or eating lobster or some such by the beach in Thailand at sunset, that kind of thing. Jackie being Jackie, chooses HER potato dauphinois pie in a suet crust with mushroom and red wine gravy. She bangs on about it A LOT. She then adds in that of course, food bank users couldn’t possible relate to such extravagance in a pie so she then had to create a non fancy equivalent which equates to a potato pie with a load of bisto bunged over it.🙄😤

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Sick
Reactions: 33
Chiming in late to add to the 'Ian Rankin is lovely' chorus. I've met him a couple of times, he absolutely made my day when he confessed that Jilly Cooper's Rivals is one of his favourite books and he re-reads it about once a year, because it's one of mine too. He has a house in Cromarty, on the Black Isle, where he does a lot of his writing and as soon as the chair of the local literary group found out he was moving in, she promptly set up a Crime and Thrillers weekend literary festival and told him he was the star guest. Bless him, he duly turns up to it every year.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 44
Chiming in late to add to the 'Ian Rankin is lovely' chorus. I've met him a couple of times, he absolutely made my day when he confessed that Jilly Cooper's Rivals is one of his favourite books and he re-reads it about once a year, because it's one of mine too. He has a house in Cromarty, on the Black Isle, where he does a lot of his writing and as soon as the chair of the local literary group found out he was moving in, she promptly set up a Crime and Thrillers weekend literary festival and told him he was the star guest. Bless him, he duly turns up to it every year.
Love Rivals ❤ Wanted to BE Taggie 😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
She’s like a child when they have a fad and you get all of the kit, duvet covers, pyjamas, soft toys etc and then they’re just 🤷🏻‍♀️ That’s what this crime novel obsession is.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 34
@HalcyonDays I'm sorry you've been triggered, that sounds so tough and I think it's more common than people realise. My own childhood was significantly affected by a carer's mental health (being vague deliberately) and it does have an impact.

Controlling disguised as caring is (sadly) not an unusual issue. It didn't happen to me but I have a very good friend who was bought up like that and I know it's affected them a lot. Sorry, that's not much help but lots of sympathy x

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.