Jack Monroe #540 Meet the new Jack, same as the old Jack.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
immediately came here to post this! amazing how in one single sentence this article lost all credibility for me
As did Bee Wilsonā€™s The Secret of Cooking* for me, earlier this week. Itā€™s EXHAUSTING.

*now with its mad crazy out-there wild-child annotated tats, in the charity shop box, ready to be released into wild. Go well. (I usually donate cook books to the food tech dept of the local high school, but Easy Chinese Chicken Curried out of it this time.)

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 22
Just to say Nicola Miller has 10k followers now so we don't have to call her Trifle Defender anymore!
Although I quite like Trifle Defender as a name...
Oh thank god we can say her name. I donā€™t see why we couldnā€™t have before 10k once she started being upfront about her tweets being @ Jack - as she is a public figure (which I thought was the other OK, 10k and/or a public figure with open account which journalist tweeting from journalism account deffo counts as). Not that I donā€™t also like trifle defender as her general name in the threads, it will just save pages of the ā€œFirst name same as former Scottish leader Sturgeon, second Windyā€¦ā€ now we can name her.

• Haha
Reactions: 34
Her minesweeping drinks story is like her getting a half eaten big mac out the bin story. She read it somewhere and thought it'd land well with a few cloud heads who'd tear up at the desperation and get their debit cards out their Radley bags.

Drinking other peoples dregs is not insouciant, naughty, devil may care behaviour, it's rock bottom, awful alcoholic behaviour which she has never been and certainly wouldn't have been in her late teens. She has no concept of keeping stories plausible with reasonable details. She over eggs the cake that much they'd all be omelettes.
BIB - yep. I have a dearly departed friend who was known for doing it from the tables outside our local pub (he'd been barred for years) - whilst he was a gorgeous person and I miss him like mad since he passed, he was an absolutely chronic alcoholic and this was usually done when he was on his arse skint. Which was a lot of the time because he lived in genuine poverty, the likes of which Jackanory could never understand. It is not normal bleeping behaviour, even for most alcoholics, it's just what she reckons alkies do so she pretends to have done it to add some extra brush strokes to the picture she's trying to paint.
ETA - she's likely heard about one of Slumpapa's vulnerable tenants doing it or something.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 48
I've not found a full list but I did find that she took some early (17 in year 10). So this year she "only" took 17 other subjects. The ones I've seen mentioned include astronomy, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Maths, Economics, Sociology, Psychology, English Literature, Latin, German, French, Classic Civilization, History, Film Studies and Drama. There'll almost certainly be a Further Maths qualification in there, and probably more than one music GCSE (she got the ABRSM Music Theory & practical at grade 8 as well), and probably Urdu and/or Punjabi as she was born in Lahore.
I reckon we can add English language and RE to that almost certainly too and then I would imagine general studies as well - any private or normal school looking to boost results goes for that as itā€™s basically another (easier) English exam for any student with even a modicum of common sense/world knowledge.

The cost of them all depends on where she took them and what else is needed - French will probably have been through the school but if she did take Urdu/Punjabi independently they trend more pricy as you need to pay for someone to do the speaking element. The papers will all have their prices depending on board and then wherever she sat them may or may not have charged extra for the privilege of using their centre - if it was at her school they might well have swallowed that expense for the publicity of the 34 GCSE headlines.

Reactions: 13
So Mr UPF recommends the books of Jack "101 ways with a bollock sausage" Monroe? Right you are mate šŸ™„.
I love that an endorsement of Jacks books is quickly becoming a red flag indicating this person isn't actually familiar with her poorly put together nutritionally bereft slops and has done no research of her cookery, therefore what else could he be mistaken or poorly informed about? A cursory glance at her MO reveals the removal of everything fresh or slightly spenny for a substitute that's inferior on taste, satiety and calories and a WWII attitude to what-the-skint-eat heavy on tinned beans and pulses but barely a baldy noodle or piece of pasta in sight.

Also does Jack look like a well nourished woman to even the most generous observer? She swings between scrawny and bloated. I'd get nutrition advice from her in the same way I'd get chic understated outfit advice from Liberace.

• Haha
Reactions: 53
Jack, JACK! "Which?" are VBI-ing without you again! JACK??
View attachment 2430129
Have they released the data showing what the basket items are yet?

Rather like Jack and her mysterious methods, the previous months have given one or two example items and they say they rotate them but Iā€™ve never yet been able to find a list stating what all 37 items or all of their larger trolley shop items are for a given month. Or whether they take into account things like nectar/Clubcard pricing which could skew the balance, they only say they include reduced prices but not multibuy.

Reactions: 26
Endless stuffing. Cheap tinned baked beans. Bollock sausages. Cheap white bread. Instant mash. Angel Delight. Nope, no UPF to see here sir, no siree

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 58
Not that I donā€™t also like trifle defender as her general name in the threads, it will just save pages of the ā€œFirst name same as former Scottish leader Sturgeon, second Windyā€¦ā€ now we can name her.
No wonder I couldn't find any posts from "Alec Pops".

• Haha
Reactions: 39
All good points @Hollaaa.

As for Malala, you're right about that particular message, if you take it at face value. However, Malala's work, through her foundation, is absolutely about providing resources, supportive infrastructure and better conditions for educating girls in all sorts of deprived circumstances. So, I don't think it's fair to accuse her of toxic positivity. She uses her personal platform to be an ambassador, a role model, while also working bloody hard to raise funds and advocate for girls all over the world. She's not some dipshit influencer spouting Oprah-isms on social media.
I have heard of Malala, although admittedly not in great depth, and agree that she does some really meaningful activism (unlike some people we know) but I do hope some of that includes the role of chance, the ability to take up opportunities and access to capable adult guidance in making good things happen, and leverages that into positive and realistic messages about defining success on your own terms.

I know what you were getting at but I think Oprah's pretty impressive and does put her considerable money where her mouth is, while being realistic that not everyone can be Oprah. Her platforming of Nadine Burke Harris and Oprah's own role in keeping discussion of the impact of poverty, childhood trauma and adult wellbeing in the public eye is something I admire. She does also go a bit Mariah on woo and pink tulle from time to time but I'll allow it.

Also everyone is better than Jack, pass it on.

• Heart
Reactions: 25
I'm always baffled by these sort of pseudo-scientific gurus who seem to make a living by suddenly bursting on the scene and saying things like "Hey! Did you know heavily processed food is bad for you and you should eat more whole foods instead?" Most people already know this, many of the ones who know don't care, many of the ones who don't know probably won't care either. People who do care will likely already know. Who is this stuff for? Who's buying this tit? Where can I make a living by essentially telling people that water has health benefits and they should drink more of it or other equally Captain Obvious declarations?

• Heart
Reactions: 59
Endless stuffing. Cheap tinned baked beans. Bollock sausages. Cheap white bread. Instant mash. Angel Delight. Nope, no UPF to see here sir, no siree
Even her lemon juice is a UPF.

IMG_0840.jpeg

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 32
This is what makes me think the ADHD is a lie. My Harold has ADHD. He's done loads of research online about what it does and means and how brains function. ADHD brains don't get the normal levels of stimulation and tend to need more, more novelty, more risk, more extremes to achieve the same dopamine/seratonin effect. That's partly why ADHDers are so prone to depression. People like jack who are perfectly happy living very small lives are not the same. Their brains are satisfied with much less stimulation. That's not a bad thing at all! It just explains why some people are content doing a 9-5, going to the same pub every Friday, eating the same roast on a Sunday, holidaying at the same spot every year and other people couldn't function with that level of sameness. Jack is one of the first type. She gets a dopamine high from buying crockery! She doesn't have ADHD.
Thing is though, all people with adhd are different and have different personalities. Adhd doesnā€™t present the exact same way in every person. Not every person will get dopamine from the exact same things. Things that stimulate me, your husband may find intensely boring or irritating. Itā€™s like expecting every person with adhd
to have the same music taste.

She may or may not have Adhd, I donā€™t know but generalisations about Adhd annoy me somewhat. The only person who can really describe how each person with adhd responds to stimuli is each person themself.

• Heart
Reactions: 26
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.