Jack Monroe #510 Simply The guest

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Someone at the Stroud festival said Jack was ‘raw and real’ and they were completely taken in by her Jackanory poverty stories . #nojam.
These are people whose problems in life amount to needing their pearls restrung and the cleaner not scrubbing the NutriBullet to their satisfaction. 1 of their own having to claim benefits is outrageous. They're just getting a vicarious little thrill of horror over the idea of having to cancel Harriets ballet lessons. If a single mum who didn't sound like them with a working class accent and 4 kids moved in their street they'd be the 1st to whisper there goes the neighbourhood while they curtain twitch incase she's dumping an old sofa into their begonias.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 70
Is bullying calling out poor behaviour / standards?
I think most people in Tattle would shout out if they saw someone being robbed in the street? Is that essentially had happened here? X
In most areas of life, the repeated things we say would need no repetition, or repetition would be seen as a failure of some integrated enforcement role, because the onus to fix a problem doesn't rest with the unrelated parties identifying it.

If you're in school, and you report child a doing something wrong toward child b, eg selling them pokemon cards but never giving them to them, that then passes to the teachers at the school to fix. If you repeat your allegation, that's on them not you.

If in a workplace, eg a factory colleague x refuses to do any work, and you report it, it's a management issue. If you keep repeating if, and it ruins morale because everyone else is packing their 500 items a day except colleague x, it remains a management issue. You're not a troll.

Here, we repeat the conclusions we each come to. Guest can read them or not. I'm certainly not going to follow her technologically let alone physically telling her when there's so much of it here. I've better things to do than engage with someone directly who, without fear or favour, proves herself fundamentally and perpetually unable to act in what I consider a reasonable manner. Futile efforts speaking to her. She's too thick or too fixated on being chronically hard done by. Maybe both. She could win the euro millions and still be disappointed that it wasn't rollover week and it was somehow our fault. Stuck doing the quarter hack forever with only £60m for oak veneer furniture. Weep sob, rent a gob.

Reporting conclusions to an appropriate enforcement body, depending on the issue, isn't harassment or bullying. We keep concluding it, because she keeps doing it. If she stops doing things worthy of 509,000 posts complaining about it, there won't be 509,000 more. Compare her threads to those where someone is just annoying and no more. Single digit threads.

• Heart
Reactions: 61
I think most people in Tattle would shout out if they saw someone being robbed in the street? Is that essentially had happened here? X
I know Glinner isn't everyone's cup of tea, but he said an interesting thing which I think applies here:

When I point the finger, people don't look at what I'm pointing at. They look at my finger.

Same is happening here. LOOK AT THISE NASTY FINGER POINTERS, DON'T THEY KNOW POINTING IS RUUUUUDE.

• Heart
Reactions: 57
She’s not well intentioned, she is just manipulative. I suspect she has been manipulating others all her life.
Great point. Her narcissism is quite chilling when you stop to consider the consequences of her past behaviour on her family alone, and we only know a fraction of it. (Spoken from experience of having a narc family member.)

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 49
You could say her whole 'career' was an accidental by product.of her manipulation.

Got pregnant.
Wanted to shift shifts to the ones she wanted.
Didn't get them so threatened to quit.
Made a show of handing in resignation.thinking the service would cave, don't they know who her dad is?..
Fire service accepted resignation and all the pleading poverty etc is tantrum and making a show of her dad and herself.

It's always stunk like a toddler not getting their own way.

Reactions: 65
This is such a thoughtful and insightful point. She might well believe her own nonsense, but I don’t think her intentions are good, we’ve seen how many times she’s been disingenuous.
I think she starts off with “good” intentions… I don’t think she started either the kickstarter or the patreon specifically to take money for nothing, she has such an opinion on herself that she’d thought she’d deliver.

It’s her behaviour when she doesn’t (explained wonderfully by @HotesTilaire Mars bar analogy) that is the problem.

She seems incapable of actually admitting she’s wrong about anything, how many times have we seen her dig massive Twitter holes of lies over something where if she’d said “No sorry, got mixed up!” after the first call out nobody would have blinked an eye.

That then translates to not being able to admit she was wrong about what she can deliver and she absolutely manipulates people to try to cover that up, to make it look like she would have if only it wasn’t for X, Y and Z she couldn’t possibly have foreseen. And she keeps the patreon going which is unforgivable.

Reactions: 45
Perhaps it's a poor analogy, but I see it as if someone has written a particularly disparaging (for good reason!) biography of a public figure and has made it freely available... Bullying would not be the term one would use to describe that book.

Unless, of course, the author/s had taken a highlighter to particularly damning parts of the text throughout, and then sent a fully highlighted copy to the public figure. That would be crossing a line somewhat.

(In Jack's case it would be virtually the whole damn book wouldn't it)

But nobody is forcing Jack to read what is being said here or on M***net or anywhere else, online or in print. Twitter mentions is another story, but Tattling is not Tweeting.

Reactions: 32
I still can’t believe she’s going on Question Time. How deluded would you have to be to dress up in ya pov jumper pretending to be the poorest person in the world after admitting you necked a bottle of whisky/brandy (all alcohol is interchangeable dear ❤s) and 40 (FORTY) tramadol a day and spunked everyone’s money on some bleeping sideboards and bought an expensive dog. LJC (excuse my lack of punctuation I just couldn’t be bothered). END.

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 61
I still can’t believe she’s going on Question Time. How deluded would you have to be to dress up in ya pov jumper pretending to be the poorest person in the world after admitting you necked a bottle of whisky/brandy (all alcohol is interchangeable dear ❤s) and 40 (FORTY) tramadol a day and spunked everyone’s money on some bleeping sideboards and bought an expensive dog. LJC (excuse my lack of punctuation I just couldn’t be bothered). END.
Overproof whisky mein frau…….that ordinary stuff us mere mortals drink isnt good enough for our Jack

• Haha
Reactions: 26
I know Glinner isn't everyone's cup of tea, but he said an interesting thing which I think applies here:

When I point the finger, people don't look at what I'm pointing at. They look at my finger.

Same is happening here. LOOK AT THISE NASTY FINGER POINTERS, DON'T THEY KNOW POINTING IS RUUUUUDE.
Jack gets away with it because , outside the twittersphere very few people know who she is. So when people look in the direction of the pointing finger they don't know who they are looking at.

Jack may pretend that once she rolls her sleeves up or puts on an unflattering hat she becomes instantly recognisable, but that isn't true. Even in Stroud (and if you know Stroud...)they had to give away tickets, seemingly to people who had never heard of her, to make it look like they had an audience.

Hays festival, even with a well-known presenter, she is struggling to sell out a small venue , in a popular time slot on a bank holiday. Yes, even the target audience poshos with money to burn aren't going, oh well everything else is sold out, do you fact seeing this one, it's only £10.

Reactions: 39
Got me thinking about how that would go in a criminal court (not that I think she'll be in court anytime soon, don't get excited). Most but not all offences require mens rea or a 'guilty mind' - some kind of intention. (An example of one that doesn't is speeding, doesn't matter how good your intentions were).

For fraud and theft they are looking for evidence of dishonesty which is a bit subjective and involves thinking about what most people would find reasonable in a civilised society. If I were the prosecution, I'd be leaning heavily on the fact that she has now done this multiple times. Therefore, even if the intentions were not dishonest originally, she now knows that she can't see things through to the end (for whatever reason) and therefore it is sliding towards dishonesty.

(All opinion and speculation, does not constitute legal advice, follow the instructions on the packet etc etc...)
Beautifully put. She might have started with honest (ha!) intentions - although embellishing the story with exaggerations and lies for added drama is *not* honest - and then discovered that her fans would buy whatever fantasy to justify her shortcomings, so why bother even trying to be truthful?
I truly hope that some of the whoppers she has been telling are just that - every time I read the story about her starving child my blood pressure goes through the roof. 😡

• Sad
Reactions: 32
Morning ninnies. Did anyone else see Chris Packham’s piece about his libel case last night?

I had a moment of self reflection about it (full disclosure - I’d had a couple of Saturday night gins). Is what we do here - the mithering and critique - online bullying?

CP had been subjected to a horrifying campaign of abuse, lies were told about him by the huntin’ shooting fishing types. His property was set on fire, his family harassed and abused. But the campaign against him was based on fabrications and misrepresentation.

In this little corner of the internet, we mither about the actual things JM does, her own tweets and (in)action. Her manipulation, the fact she takes her Patreon subs each month and does not deliver on her promises. She exaggerates her brief period of being a bit skint, identifies with those in desperate poverty, used her child as a prop (red cheeked from cold, no jam, dragged round the streets with her whilst she looked for work) when she had a loving and supportive family living nearby as well as his father. She portrays her comfortable upbringing as ‘dirt poor’, working class.
I love this post @Flivver and also the words from @MoistenedGussets about us not being high school jocks knocking books out of Jack’s hands.

We don’t police each others posts on Tattle, but seeing as you mentioned it, here are some thoughts I’ve had for a while.

We sometimes have a tone of the higher moral ground on Jack’s threads. Rightly so when we talk about the ongoing grift, the repeated inconsistencies, the Wiki which is an amazing piece of crowdsourced evidence, the likely impact of drugs, the possible level of £££ thousand she’s made, the misrepresentation of medical issues and identities….a lot to expose. We have done great work and far outshone the mainstream media in shining truth onto her activities. How many Tattlers does it take to prove that Jack‘s recipes just don’t work?

But some of the regular in-jokes tip over the line IMHO. Lingering honk, appearance, dress sense etc. “She smells, she’s dirty and she’s ugly” is classic misogynistic bullying. Do we need to hear yet more about her dirty hands/rug/house? And every woman discussed on Tattle gets the same, from Katie Price to Mrs Meldrum to Jack Monroe.
If we want to be better than others, then we can be. In some ways we already are - we don’t deadname, and we call out when people do. Perhaps we could also consider before throwing out yet another “she looks like she smells”.

Love you all. Keep being your hilarious selves. Not policing tone, just joining in with the discussion.

• Heart
Reactions: 86
I love this post @Flivver and also the words from @MoistenedGussets about us not being high school jocks knocking books out of Jack’s hands.

We don’t police each others posts on Tattle, but seeing as you mentioned it, here are some thoughts I’ve had for a while.

We sometimes have a tone of the higher moral ground on Jack’s threads. Rightly so when we talk about the ongoing grift, the repeated inconsistencies, the Wiki which is an amazing piece of crowdsourced evidence, the likely impact of drugs, the possible level of £££ thousand she’s made, the misrepresentation of medical issues and identities….a lot to expose. We have done great work and far outshone the mainstream media in shining truth onto her activities. How many Tattlers does it take to prove that Jack‘s recipes just don’t work?

But some of the regular in-jokes tip over the line IMHO. Lingering honk, appearance, dress sense etc. “She smells, she’s dirty and she’s ugly” is classic misogynistic bullying. Do we need to hear yet more about her dirty hands/rug/house? And every woman discussed on Tattle gets the same, from Katie Price to Mrs Meldrum to Jack Monroe.
If we want to be better than others, then we can be. In some ways we already are - we don’t deadname, and we call out when people do. Perhaps we could also consider before throwing out yet another “she looks like she smells”.

Love you all. Keep being your hilarious selves. Not policing tone, just joining in with the discussion.
I have almost no argument with this, but that rug has no place in a kitchen. No place at all. THE END.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 67

I agree that no one should berate for her natural appearance (she is/was conventionally attractive, but that is irrelevant to what type of person she is). I think once Jack starts playing with fillers and botox, then lying about it, she leaves her self open - Pringles, for fucks sake.

I do think if Jamie Oliver prepared food with dirty hands he would get an equal kicking.

• Heart
Reactions: 68
Perhaps we could also consider before throwing out yet another “she looks like she smells”
I am torn.
If someone was to walk into an Asda, stood near the bakery, pointed at a baker working out back and said,
"Ner ner you smell, you've got filthy hands and you're ugly.."
That would quite obviously be completely out of line.

But, and here's why I'm torn.. people choosing to put themselves in the public eye can't really complain when that public eye sees things they'd not want the public to see. Photographing your filthy hands and publishing it for everyone to see, over filtering your photos so you look ridiculous etc.

You opt to put it out there, you can't opt out of the reaction to it. Iyswim

Reactions: 55
I agree that no one should berate for her natural appearance (she is/was conventionally attractive, but that is irrelevant to what type of person she is). I think once Jack starts playing with fillers and botox, then lying about it, she leaves her self open - Pringles, for fucks sake.

I do think if Jamie Oliver prepared food with dirty hands he would get an equal kicking.
I think that if Jamie Oliver was online posting facetuned thirst shots all over social media, pretending he looks like either a chiselled hot version of himself or a weird blur or a shrunken head, people might notice and point out that actually he looks nothing like what he’s pretending to. And if he confessed to spending people’s donated money on booze and trammies, people would probably point out if he looked a bit unwell and run down. I appreciate the concern about misogyny, but in this case I don’t think that’s motivating the criticism or the piss-taking - I really do think that a man who did everything that Jack does would be mocked for the same reasons that Jack is mocked.

edit - and having recently visited the PS threads for the first time, he gets plenty of negative comments about his looks too - thin lips, dead eyes, collapsing nose, general haggardness, etc., etc. - so that type of comment isn’t just confined to the female figures who have threads on here.

• Heart
Reactions: 64
Beautifully put. She might have started with honest (ha!) intentions - although embellishing the story with exaggerations and lies for added drama is *not* honest - and then discovered that her fans would buy whatever fantasy to justify her shortcomings, so why bother even trying to be truthful?
I truly hope that some of the whoppers she has been telling are just that - every time I read the story about her starving child my blood pressure goes through the roof. 😡
I personally don’t think she started with honest intentions, she wanted to be famous, loved and adored. Just so happens that the budget cooking/ hungry post is what stuck.
I don’t know if all these things are true or it’s just rumours etc but didn’t she aggressively send out her Hunger Hurts blog to multiple newspapers or something? We’ve seen her ’talent profile’ on a website ( sorry can’t remember the name) and there is a rumour she went on X factor (tho never seen evidence of this so again not sure if true)
I think her plan was to be famous: no matter what.
Anyway what do I know I’m merely a ‘umble tattler…. I just don’t like her and all she stands for.

Reactions: 53
I personally don’t think she started with honest intentions, she wanted to be famous, loved and adored. Just so happens that the budget cooking/ hungry post is what stuck.
I don’t know if all these things are true or it’s just rumours etc but didn’t she aggressively send out her Hunger Hurts blog to multiple newspapers or something? We’ve seen her ’talent profile’ on a website ( sorry can’t remember the name) and there is a rumour she went on X factor (tho never seen evidence of this so again not sure if true)
I think her plan was to be famous: no matter what.
Anyway what do I know I’m merely a ‘umble tattler…. I just don’t like her and all she stands for.
I didn't know that!
I think you're right - and I also think I am more gullible than I'd like to be.🤦‍♀️

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.