Jack Monroe #510 Simply The guest

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Does it matter what your intentions are, though? I intend to be a good law abiding citizen, so if I steal a mars bar, maybe itā€™s a mistake.
If I steal a mars bar every week, itā€™s not really a mistake is it? Either Iā€™m having some medical issue, or Iā€™m a big thief.
If I kept stealing a mars bar from the man in the shop, Iā€™d get someone to come in the shop with me and say Iā€™m sorry, I donā€™t know how it happens please kick me out if I come in the shop again. Iā€™d pay in advance for a box of mars bars in case I nicked one again by mistake. Iā€™d see my GP. Iā€™d really try to not steal mars bars.

• Heart
Reactions: 97
Does it matter what your intentions are, though? I intend to be a good law abiding citizen, so if I steal a mars bar, maybe itā€™s a mistake.
If I steal a mars bar every week, itā€™s not really a mistake is it? Either Iā€™m having some medical issue, or Iā€™m a big thief.
If I kept stealing a mars bar from the man in the shop, Iā€™d get someone to come in the shop with me and say Iā€™m sorry, I donā€™t know how it happens please kick me out if I come in the shop again. Iā€™d pay in advance for a box of mars bars in case I nicked one again by mistake. Iā€™d see my GP. Iā€™d really try to not steal mars bars.
šŸ’Æ
And I donā€™t really think sheā€™s well intentioned, she just knows the right things to say to make it appear that way.

Reactions: 60
Or you keep doing it and justify it in your head like, I know this is wrong but I deserve a treat, or, the mars bars company makes money hand over fist so my taking this won't hurt them any. (Which of course ignores the impact that it has on the shopkeeper and the supplier, and the other customers who might now have to pay higher prices to cover the loss.)

Reactions: 49
šŸ’Æ
And I donā€™t really think sheā€™s well intentioned, she just knows the right things to say to make it appear that way.
Well you canā€™t prove intentions or feelings, so it makes it hard to confirm or deny. Smells manipulative to me.
---
Or you keep doing it and justify it in your head like, I know this is wrong but I deserve a treat, or, the mars bars company makes money hand over fist so my taking this won't hurt them any. (Which of course ignores the impact that it has on the shopkeeper and the supplier, and the other customers who might now have to pay higher prices to cover the loss.)
Which is fine, but Iā€™m not being well-intentioned if I keep doing it. Iā€™m justifying doing it because the consequences donā€™t matter, arenā€™t great enough to deter me?
---
---

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 36
To continue from the previous thread, I think she is delusional and has a view of herself completely distorted from the reality. Sheā€™s convinced herself she lived in poverty, convinced herself that her backstory is all entirely true and convinced herself sheā€™s this excellent maverick cook.

I believe when she sets up things like the kickstarter, the Patreon and even the Sue Lee fiasco, she genuinely thinks sheā€™s going to deliver what sheā€™s promised even though anyone else can easily see she wonā€™t. (this doesnā€™t excuse that she doesnā€™t in any way)

I believe she believed she was moving and all the delaying now is because it was never going to happen in reality.

Consequently I think she saw the Shattenstone article as a lovely one written by her mate.

If she hadnā€™t, sheā€™d have gone hard on how heā€™d taken advantage of her when the lecturer and others, entirely rightly, pointed out the issues with the setting for most of it. She was gifted an out, an opportunity to say sheā€™d been put in an awful situation and then had her words twisted that Shattenstone and the Guardian would have found very hard to deny or deflect from - and she didnā€™t, because she genuinely thought that article made her look great.

Something is very, very off with the way she views everything and I think itā€™s getting worse as time goes on.
The Hattenstone thing is interesting
She has a wierd habit of becoming very overly familiar with people she meets professionally. We've seen it a few times - Matt, Marcus, Martin Lewis, Kit de Waal - I'm sure there are others.
So in this interview with Shattenstone, which lasted many hours, she turns on her dubious charms, shows off terribly saying outrageous things to impress him, and likes to think they have a special and unique bond. So any justified criticism of the interview (and as you say which could've been a marvellous get out clause for her) she gets all 'Ackshully you wouldn't understand, I now consider Simon a dear friend'. I don't think her ego would accept he didn't fall for her smol quirky strangely attractive ways, and just viewed her dispassionately as a not terribly interesting bullshitting person he was paid to interview.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 89
Which is fine, but Iā€™m not being well-intentioned if I keep doing it. Iā€™m justifying doing it because the consequences donā€™t matter, arenā€™t great enough to deter me?
---
---
Oh, I wasn't saying this was evidence of good intentions. It's things someone would tell themselves if they were convincing themselves that they had good intentions.

Reactions: 25
Oh, I wasn't saying this was evidence of good intentions. It's things someone would tell themselves if they were convincing themselves that they had good intentions.
We were talking about having a good heart, and the right intentions!
At some point you have to say, Jack this is the 38th month of Patreon and you only sent postcards out once. Youā€™ve also rattled your PayPal to fix your website and fund a court case. You didnā€™t. Stop saying youā€˜re going to do something with money, taking money, then not doing the thing.
---
She has a wierd habit of becoming very overly familiar with people she meets professionally. We've seen it a few times - Matt, Marcus, Martin Lewis, Kit de Waal - I'm sure there are others.
So in this interview with Shattenstone, which lasted many hours, she turns on her dubious charms, shows off terribly saying outrageous things to impress him, and likes to think they have a special and unique bond. So any justified criticism of the interview (and as you say which could've been a marvellous get out clause for her) she gets all 'Ackshully you wouldn't understand, I now consider Simon a dear friend'. I don't think her ego would accept he didn't fall for her smol quirky strangely attractive ways, and just viewed her dispassionately as a not terribly interesting bullshitting person he was paid to interview.
She was trying to lovebomb/hoover him in. Her defence of him was an extension of that.

Reactions: 64
We were talking about having a good heart, and the right intentions!
At some point you have to say, Jack this is the 38th month of Patreon and you only sent postcards out once. Youā€™ve also rattled your PayPal to fix your website and fund a court case. You didnā€™t. Stop saying youā€˜re going to do something with money, taking money, then not doing the thing.
---

She was trying to lovebomb/hoover him in. Her defence of him was an extension of that.
What is sad is I now never trust the intentions or story of anyone online. guest has caused that. I think she probably does think it's all true. But that's not the same as it being true. I don't buy into any of this "my truth" stuff people spout. Things either happen or they dont. You either sent your postcards or you didn't. People are either happy with their donations going somewhere other than a straight refund back or they aren't. You can't spend your time assuming a result and then filling in the blanks with what you think. That's not reality and if everyone lived like that, there would be chaos.

I used to have an unusual colour car. Each time I saw similar I would think gosh there's so many around since I got mine. When I no longer had that car, I stopped noticing others the same colour. My perception was that there were only loads of them, right when I had mine, then they all went away again. Because id just stopped noticing them. Simply didn't reflect reality.

• Heart
Reactions: 56
People have to love love love her, or they are ebil and a Tory and yelled ā€œshut your legsā€ in reality people are indifferent toward her, perhaps polite.
If they donā€™t like her, itā€™s a them problem, not a her problem. Her haters hate gays, autistics, tattoos, single mums, enby etc so they dislike her on sight, not for her personality.

• Haha
Reactions: 41
The non-hairy-teacups Turkish barber who gave her the bestest haircut ever, even though he couldn't speaka da Eeenglish good and she had to communicate with him by pointing and gesturing šŸ™„

Funny how she claimed she would always go to his shop from now on, but hasn't mentioned him since then.....

• Haha
Agree with this. We all duck up sometimes, but with guest itā€™s just a constant parade of duck ups.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 52
Sheā€™s not well intentioned, she is just manipulative. I suspect she has been manipulating others all her life.

• Heart
Her motives are worthy of exploration. She wants to be perceived as a good and worthy person. But that is as far as it goes. The vanity, the snark, the pile ons, the vendettas, the boasting, the grifts, the delusions of grandeur, the endless lies and manipulations, these do not point to a good and worthy person.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 53
Well you canā€™t prove intentions or feelings, so it makes it hard to confirm or deny. Smells manipulative to me
Got me thinking about how that would go in a criminal court (not that I think she'll be in court anytime soon, don't get excited). Most but not all offences require mens rea or a 'guilty mind' - some kind of intention. (An example of one that doesn't is speeding, doesn't matter how good your intentions were).

For fraud and theft they are looking for evidence of dishonesty which is a bit subjective and involves thinking about what most people would find reasonable in a civilised society. If I were the prosecution, I'd be leaning heavily on the fact that she has now done this multiple times. Therefore, even if the intentions were not dishonest originally, she now knows that she can't see things through to the end (for whatever reason) and therefore it is sliding towards dishonesty.

(All opinion and speculation, does not constitute legal advice, follow the instructions on the packet etc etc...)

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 47
Morning ninnies. Did anyone else see Chris Packhamā€™s piece about his libel case last night?

I had a moment of self reflection about it (full disclosure - Iā€™d had a couple of Saturday night gins). Is what we do here - the mithering and critique - online bullying?

CP had been subjected to a horrifying campaign of abuse, lies were told about him by the huntinā€™ shooting fishing types. His property was set on fire, his family harassed and abused. But the campaign against him was based on fabrications and misrepresentation.

In this little corner of the internet, we mither about the actual things JM does, her own tweets and (in)action. Her manipulation, the fact she takes her Patreon subs each month and does not deliver on her promises. She exaggerates her brief period of being a bit skint, identifies with those in desperate poverty, used her child as a prop (red cheeked from cold, no jam, dragged round the streets with her whilst she looked for work) when she had a loving and supportive family living nearby as well as his father. She portrays her comfortable upbringing as ā€˜dirt poorā€™, working class.

No. Not the same as CP although I can imagine JM clinging to his coattails for sympathy as heā€™s autistic too.

As you were tenderstems.

• Heart
Reactions: 68
Morning ninnies. Did anyone else see Chris Packhamā€™s piece about his libel case last night?

I had a moment of self reflection about it (full disclosure - Iā€™d had a couple of Saturday night gins). Is what we do here - the mithering and critique - online bullying?
Is bullying calling out poor behaviour / standards?
I think most people in Tattle would shout out if they saw someone being robbed in the street? Is that essentially had happened here? X

• Heart
Reactions: 46
Is what we do here - the mithering and critique - online bullying?
I don't think so.

I don't look here and see lies and made up stuff and no one is here is tagging Jack or contacting her etc. She has to choose to come here, not like the twitter where people tag her all the time.

It's like an American high school film...
We're not a bunch of Jocks, pushing Jack, knocking her books out her hand or stuffing her in lockers and spreading it around the school she slept with Mr Hickenmore when she hasn't, other sites do that sort of thing.
Tattle is more like the goth kids under the bleachers that's smoking and laughing about what everyone else is doing. Cause we're totes kewl..

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 54
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.