Jack Monroe #509 The Silence of the Scams.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I wonder does her time with the slop goblin feature in her routine
It does not - she talks mainly about dating , being petty and her relationship with her mum. She does sometimes mention her pr/marketing background but I’ve never heard any stories that were obviously about guest .

Reactions: 21
Sorry to correct you tenderstem but spare head 3 had a genuine reason for his behaviour- he had droid rot.

Jack would be more suited to the polymorph, with it’s constant cycling through identities , and too many teeth it it’s natural state
View attachment 2193225
And before we we shouted at for Red Dwarf references:

You think I've got nothin' better to do than hang around watching you serve chicken chasseur in a stool bucket?

Its like they knew 😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 27
It's all part of what is, to me, an astonishingly clear pattern.

The Kickstarter that went more than 8.5x over target, but which produced substandard work and had to be followed up with an additional beg for postage.
The lockdown begging to support a new project which never materialised.
Suggesting that she would like to crowdfund for a house.
The ongoing Patreon scam, together with her lies about having sent rewards and avoidance of paying refunds.
The VBI, with associated tip jar rattle to support the team she said she had put together to do the work that never appeared.
The Sue Lee scandal, with tens or hundreds of thousands in donations unaccounted for.
The HH2 tip jar rattle, based on lies about melting soap and solar light bulbs when she was bringing in an estimated £8,922 a month from Patreon alone.

People make excuses for her, and say that she's just disorganised and that there was no deliberate deceit or intent to defraud. I say the opposite: no-one could act like that by accident. She knows exactly what she's done, and what she's continuing to do.
This is what I mean. It’s the repeated pattern on a grand scale that makes it a scam rather than the result of “meaning well but being chaotic and mentally ill” which is what she says when she’s caught out. Same pattern: big heroic promises, solicits money, goes quiet whilst money is spent, pleads severe mental ill health when challenged.

Perhaps “confidence trick” is a better phrase than “scam” because there’s such a big element of emotional manipulation to each episode. She’s more Dirty John than Nigerian Prince.

ETA to add: I don’t think I’m reaching when I say that the scams have got closer together in time, and increasingly sloppily thought out, since the start of 2020 and the break with Louisa. I think that’s interesting too.

• Heart
Reactions: 64
It's all part of what is, to me, an astonishingly clear pattern.

The Kickstarter that went more than 8.5x over target, but which produced substandard work and had to be followed up with an additional beg for postage.
The lockdown begging to support a new project which never materialised.
Suggesting that she would like to crowdfund for a house.
The ongoing Patreon scam, together with her lies about having sent rewards and avoidance of paying refunds.
The VBI, with associated tip jar rattle to support the team she said she had put together to do the work that never appeared.
The Sue Lee scandal, with tens or hundreds of thousands in donations unaccounted for.
The HH2 tip jar rattle, based on lies about melting soap and solar light bulbs when she was bringing in an estimated £8,922 a month from Patreon alone.

People make excuses for her, and say that she's just disorganised and that there was no deliberate deceit or intent to defraud. I say the opposite: no-one could act like that by accident. She knows exactly what she's done, and what she's continuing to do.
Don't forget the "bratty kids of mean lady in pub garden stole my wallet" and other assorted short-term "emergency" begs.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 59
This is what I mean. It’s the repeated pattern on a grand scale that makes it a scam rather than the result of “meaning well but being chaotic and mentally ill” which is what she says when she’s caught out. Same pattern: big heroic promises, solicits money, goes quiet whilst money is spent, pleads severe mental ill health when challenged.

Perhaps “confidence trick” is a better phrase than “scam” because there’s such a big element of emotional manipulation to each episode. She’s more Dirty John than Nigerian Prince.

ETA to add: I don’t think I’m reaching when I say that the scams have got closer together in time, and increasingly sloppily thought out, since the start of 2020 and the break with Louisa. I think that’s interesting too.
Agree - the fact she's done it multiple times and also not stepped down/stopped her physical patreon tiers for the best part of 2-3 years suggests that it's intentional grifting, rather than sMoL ChaOs BrAiN

Reactions: 55
I know that's just your opinion not fact but actually imagine if that's true.. At the time I never really assumed she'd make much (naively) but the more it's been spoken about the more I realised it's an actual possibility.

Did it ever get clarified exactly what/where the £70k went towards?
It would be interesting if a forensic frau with time on their hands could look at Guest's sm posts in the aftermath of the kickstarter money landing. What new designer goods magically appeared? Where there holidays? Trips to expensive restaurants? Pricey gourmet ingredients bought? Expensive booze?

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 39
The manipulative direct messages definitely point to that. I dread to think what we haven't seen yet.

• Sad
Reactions: 41

It's why I think she was unwise to have mentioned it all last week - she has to be hoping that people let it drop. If she ever finds herself in court over it, a barrister is going to really enjoy having so much material to use when demonstrating a pattern of behaviour.

I think her best bet would have been to DM anyone talking about it to offer them a refund privately, and to have pressured any stans into deleting their "it's in the escrow!" tweets.

Of course, that risks a "Lyn said it's fine" moment with DMs being published - but I would think she really needs to get the furore to die down before the Hay festival.

Reactions: 29
It would be interesting if a forensic frau with time on their hands could look at Guest's sm posts in the aftermath of the kickstarter money landing. What new designer goods magically appeared? Where there holidays? Trips to expensive restaurants? Pricey gourmet ingredients bought? Expensive booze?
I would imagine a good portion of it went to something that wasn't shown on sm, namely J1G ❄. Allegedly, m'lud.

• Haha
Reactions: 28
Wootton is such a smug bleep, but how could he not be with that face.

I'd never watched GB News till the Jack thing last week. While I have always been a big lefty wanker (although increasingly alienated by the narcissistic identity politics and brigade who have nothing more intelligent to say than "duck the Tories") I felt myself being a bit taken in by the jingoistic "BRITAIN BRITAIN BRITAIN ISN'T BRITAIN GREAT, BRITAIN IS AMAZING, THE BEST FOR BRITAIN IS YET TO COME, PROUD OF BRITAIN" rhetoric.

It's bleeping ludicrous it is marginally better for my fragile brain than "everything's fucked and we're all doomed" we hear everywhere else 😂.

Me a few years ago would be horrified by the above.
babe, same x
I even wondered for a split second if maybe it might be better to be in that camp rather than the actual reality we live in

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 21
It does not - she talks mainly about dating , being petty and her relationship with her mum. She does sometimes mention her pr/marketing background but I’ve never heard any stories that were obviously about guest .
I read that as "pretty" then and wondered if she was sharing her magic mirror with Jack.
---
babe, same x
I even wondered for a split second if maybe it might be better to be in that camp rather than the actual reality we live in
Same, when they kept showing the clip of Jacob Rees Mogg and the incoherent, screeching climate activist (I assume that's what they were) I had to turn it off before I started buying The Mail and wittering on about "woke lefties" 😂.

• Haha
Reactions: 23
This would be great. I don’t have access to the Ms Gloss or whatever it’s called group, but I’ll wager there’s a lot of crossover there. Also I seem to remember she used to show off on insta a lot.

Reactions: 26
It's quite fascinating when you see the Patreon excuses in their original form in the Kickstarter.

And so much of it is potentially avoidable or could have been planned for if you're self-publishing a book?

"Not to mention contemplating 4377 envelopes to write and stuff and post some time in May" - why are you writing them? Print labels.

I'm not surprised your hand seizes up and you have wrist pain if you're typing constantly on a laptop, that's a display screen equipment nightmare (regardless of if you have a pre-existing issue or not). Get an external keyboard and mouse and do your wrist stretches like the rest of us who earn our living constantly tapping away at computers do.

"and still continued to limp up to the post office lugging a suitcase of books / dragged books through the rain, wheezing with a chest infection" there's such a thing as couriers
It is strange that none of her army of GOOD friends and family thought to help her. May be a lift to the main post office .

Although why she couldn't pay for a taxi...

Reactions: 37
can anyone think when would the kickstarter cash have landed?

In November 2016 she was making herself a lipstick & gin advent calendar. Because you know, may as well buy TWENTY FIVE LIPSTICKS.

1684947846306.png

• Sick
  • Wow
Reactions: 66
The kickstarter predates her joining Mrs Gloss. When she started it in December 2015, she was still being non binary. She joined Gloss in September 2016. It’s my guess that the kickstarter was when she realised that people would just send her cash on a promise.

Having seen how much cash that woman I know who pretended she had cancer made from a small largely quite impoverished community, I can well believe Jack’s made ££££££ from Sue Lee with the reach she has. Look how many people still sent money to her Patreon despite her not sending any rewards at all.

The kickstarter awoke the grift.

• Sick
  • Angry
Reactions: 58
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.