Jack Monroe #509 The Silence of the Scams.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I know exactly what she's like but every time I see another of her sympathy vampire posts I feel like I'll never recover. How does anyone fall for it? I know people ran out of patience, but others are so desperate to be seen to be 'kind' that they suspend all critical thinking. And it's not kind at all to let her get away with this tit, not least to the people she scams, but to her, enabling her to get into bigger and bigger messes she can't get herself out of.

The way she's written that last Kickstarter update you'd think she was terminally ill, working through her last days. bleeping malingering bleep.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 72
Bet the keyboard is rank with those vile dirty hands touching it.
😂 I’ve got a three year old Mac and I’m willing to bet I have the cleanest keyboard and mouse for it. Used them once, went ‘what the duck?’ and immediately connected new Bluetooth ones. Should probably eBay them…

• Haha
Reactions: 18
It's quite fascinating when you see the Patreon excuses in their original form in the Kickstarter.

And so much of it is potentially avoidable or could have been planned for if you're self-publishing a book?

"Not to mention contemplating 4377 envelopes to write and stuff and post some time in May" - why are you writing them? Print labels.

I'm not surprised your hand seizes up and you have wrist pain if you're typing constantly on a laptop, that's a display screen equipment nightmare (regardless of if you have a pre-existing issue or not). Get an external keyboard and mouse and do your wrist stretches like the rest of us who earn our living constantly tapping away at computers do.

"and still continued to limp up to the post office lugging a suitcase of books / dragged books through the rain, wheezing with a chest infection" there's such a thing as couriers
Not to mention all the other stuff that she apparently handwrites - all the performative displays of painstakingly 🙄 labelled folders and tons of sticky notes. FFS.

(As an aside, I love the fact that Fred Siriex is someone who actually genuinely does good work for others, behind the scenes with no need to announce it. I learned that from the previous thread. I have no hope of keeping up with threads but just wanted to say that 😊.)

• Heart
Reactions: 47
Smol poor pixie can only manage a TINY COMPUTER though because smol and POOR!
And a TINY DESK to sit at (I know this isn't actually hers)

Screenshot_20230524-121221_Chrome.jpg

Found this too while searching for the above pic and am just posting it for the lols

Screenshot_20230521-011907_Chrome.jpg

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 87
I'm a disorganised head, I'd no doubt entirely fail to deliver a crowd funded book by deadline, hence I have no desire to actually try.

Also I'd have thought you'd have produced some of the content before crowdfunding, especially if your passion is creating slop delightful recipes for the down and outs of society?

Not like, yeah might write a book, fancy giving me a few quid and maybe I'll drag my arse out of bed and do it?

• Angry
Reactions: 53
She raised 70K to write a book. 70K !!!!! Let that sink in. Now imagine how much she raised to Sue Lee....... a high profile case, reported far and wide, against a highly disliked evil Tory... I'm betting it was in the hundreds of thousands. If it wasnt, why won't she just tell us?
Yep. I think the most probable explanation for her being so cocky and cunty in the face of a nose diving career and public disdain is that she was sat on a fat pile of money to keep her going for years. Didn't need to rein in the snark and be more PR friendly. Didn't need to pivot into other areas. Didn't rely on the hellsite holding her to account 😊

Reactions: 51
Also Ainsley Harriot, ok so he wasn’t overweight, but he did put in the hard yards, he did train as a chef properly, he has tons of charisma, he’s not from a privileged background and IIRC he grew up on or near west London estates - and there’s a whole generation of the UK who will always consider him one of our top celebrity chefs of all time because he was brilliant on the telly and has always seemed like a fun bloke!)
Ainsley Harriet grew up in Balham south London which admittedly wouldn’t have been as posh as it is now when he was young but it was still a “ nice” area . His dad was a well respected musician who ended up working for a tv company , and owned a restaurant.his mum was a nurse . Yes he trained as a chef ( while doing his comedy on the side ) but I think it’s fair to say his background helped him get into the tv chef/food celebrity role.

Like Jack, he has also dabbled in being on screen in a non food capacity , although he looked much better in his Red Dwarf role than Jack did in her blink and you will miss it poundshop Ruby Rose music video cameo
IMG_1264.jpeg

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 37
I read her stuff about having to take heavy books to the post office. I thought at the time that's not right, what am I missing. But she was such a wonderful person, and I didn't read everything so I assumed there was a good reason.
Same as lots of things. People stick with their first impressions.
I worked at a small publisher, in the middle of nowhere, as one of my first jobs (circa early 90s). The role included packaging up the mail/telephone ordered books. The postman used to come out (about 9 miles from the nearest town) to collect the multiple sacks of books to take them to the sorting office to start the journey to the customers. No dragging required at all.

• Heart
Reactions: 52
Let’s all take a minute to think about the pain and injustice Jack decided she experienced when she was called the N word, despite having no known African-Caribbean heritage. Truly humbling.
Excuse you!! She went to Africa once and forgot how to use cutlery!

• Haha
  • Angry
Reactions: 54
Excuse you!! She went to Africa once and forgot how to use cutlery!
"I saw a woman with a baby living in a shack surviving on limited rations and reminded her that I, too, once had to ask my mum to bring round some shopping from Sainsbury's because I had quit my well-paying job in a tantrum."

• Haha
  • Angry
Reactions: 116
I believe she's benefitted from white/pretty privilege. A POC, someone not blessed with cheekbones, who is not middle class coded, would not have been given the opportunities she has had - despite the fact that she can't cook, can't present or speak publicaly, and is nasty and manipulative.

A (say) Black, overweight person from a housing estate could put in the hard yards, train as a chef, be charismatic, articulate and intelligent and STILL would not get the opportunities and second chances Jack did.

However, I disagree with you, she IS experiencing consequences. She's a byword for cruelty, dishonesty and incompetence on twitter. The celeb relationships and TV gigs are gone, never to return. Her nasty thoughts are beginning to manifest themselves in her physical appearance (I strongly believe that people eventually get the faces they deserve).

A slow burn fall is much better than a sudden big cancellation. It's happening in real time.
The thing I’m really baffled about reading back is how much she promises people never to deliver.

Because you’re right. She does have all that privilege and actually, I reckon if she’d set up her Patreon with a £3 “just to support you get duck all except the occasional thank you update” tier, £7.50 for “sneak early peeks at books and the chance to ask me questions” and £10 for “£7.50 plus a few exclusive recipes” she’d have still have bleeping raked in it from her middle class audience and she might actually have been able to deliver rather than promising loads of physical rewards that she’s never going to be able to do. It would still have been a grift 100% but if people sign up knowing full well that’s all they’re getting then it’s really on them. Nigella would still have promoted it and she’d be sitting pretty now instead of in the state she’s in.

ETA: and as she’s so obsessed with comments club, that could have been shoed in as a reward. “You can be part of comments club (or even her Twitter circle).” Easy, deliverable and it would have been lapped up.

Reactions: 58
I know exactly what she's like but every time I see another of her sympathy vampire posts I feel like I'll never recover. How does anyone fall for it? I know people ran out of patience, but others are so desperate to be seen to be 'kind' that they suspend all critical thinking. And it's not kind at all to let her get away with this tit, not least to the people she scams, but to her, enabling her to get into bigger and bigger messes she can't get herself out of.

The way she's written that last Kickstarter update you'd think she was terminally ill, working through her last days. bleeping malingering bleep.
Lol yes it’s so ridiculously overdone isn’t it, it’s like Fantine in Les Miserables having to sell her hair and finally her teeth in order to feed her daughter. I’m quite surprised Jack hasn’t claimed to have sold her hair in the Great Car Boot Sale Tragedy of yore actually
---
The thing I’m really baffled about reading back is how much she promises people never to deliver.

Because you’re right. She does have all that privilege and actually, I reckon if she’d set up her Patreon with a £3 “just to support you get duck all except the occasional thank you update” tier, £7.50 for “sneak early peeks at books and the chance to ask me questions” and £10 for “£7.50 plus a few exclusive recipes” she’d have still have bleeping raked in it from her middle class audience and she might actually have been able to deliver rather than promising loads of physical rewards that she’s never going to be able to do. It would still have been a grift 100% but if people sign up knowing full well that’s all they’re getting then it’s really on them. Nigella would still have promoted it and she’d be sitting pretty now instead of in the state she’s in.

ETA: and as she’s so obsessed with comments club, that could have been shoed in as a reward. “You can be part of comments club (or even her Twitter circle).” Easy, deliverable and it would have been lapped up.
I suspect she over promised in order to encourage the maximum possible number of people to subscribe at higher tiers. As I think @heretoreaditall2019 has hypothesised, she probably has a greater proportion of higher tier subs that one might expect from a content creator who claims that their work is aimed at lower earning people.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 39
When I was at school I had the potential to do really well, however I'm lazy and never pushed myself enough. Jack at that tiny table with all her coloured pens and 'cutesy' vibes literally reminds me of me (as a child, not now!), where I would get allllllll my stationary out and be very perfomative about all the work I was going to do, and then do nothing 🤣 The difference here being I was an actual child, Jack was an adult. It's like I have previously said, saying something out loud to make other people believe you can also convince yourself you're actually doing something.

• Haha
Reactions: 58
"I saw a woman with a baby living in a shack surviving on limited rations and reminded her that I, too, once had to ask my mum to bring round some shopping from Sainsbury's because I had quit my well-paying job in a tantrum."
That her dad got for her

• Haha
Reactions: 47
We all know she co-opts situations from US TV, but is it possible she watched Spaced and thought… YES… I can be Daisy! The episode (though it is a running gag) where she’s setting up her typewriter on the kitchen table and finding 1,000 reasons not to get started is brilliant. (And a funny Murder She Wrote gag too)

ETA: This is some of it but not all the faff trying to avoid it…

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 30
I think you might find that was all of us. Each and every single ninny has said that at least once, tenderloin.
Someone very early on described her as 'Beggy Mitchell' and I like it so much I now try to incorporate it into day to day conversation wherever appropriate

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 66
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.