Jack Monroe #483 The plans are going well, it’s the execution that seems to be lacking

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
She made it! Link here 2 hours 46

She's not on to talk about cost of living, she's on to talk about weight loss drugs to halt the rise of obesity/reducing benefits bill.

Right, big girl pants on ... I'm going to listen ...

ETA - update: I found it hard to listen to the content of what she's saying because I can hear her snuffling and snorting in the background while the presenter replies to her, and lip smacking while she speaks.

From what I did take in, she made some good points, none of which were intrisically disagreeable. And she managed not to talk about herself!
Thank you, day 68 and she’s got her first piece of paid media work! Go off hun 😳

I’m (tragically) going to start recording these so we can come up with a meaningful estimate of her annual income to add to the 2023 Patreon wrap up. I know in the know ninnies have bandied talking head segment figures around before of like £0-250 odd? Does anyone have a range we can add to the sheet pls!

• Heart
Reactions: 42
If someone goes on the radio but no one mentions it on twitter, did it even happen? I guess even Times Radio don't want to take advantage of the Glastonbury-sized audience she's worked so hard to build. Embarrassing.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 38
I know what you’re saying but I honestly think she only does this grim faux frugal stuff for her personal brand. Like someone else has said the patronising MC liberals Pat her on her head like she’s a toddler who’s just bought back a feather adorned paper lantern from nursery so in turn she thinks she’s done some work. But this is not how she lives. She’s not eating the Asda yellow sticker slop for sustenance, she gets Ocado orders. She’s not decorating her home with old tins she’s got flower subscriptions and Jo Malone candles.

As Hotes said some of the grim cluttered aesthetics is just to convey an image of what she wants to be - like a cool kitsch collector with an eye for design - but it misses the mark because she’s not and never has been that person. She’s a John Lewis hun who’ll just buy everything off a table display in store twice over.
Agreed, if she really had boxes full of orange peels and stacks of old cans everywhere there would be pictures of it. I also fully believe from that post about 'other girls want walk in wardrobes!' that she has a walk in wardrobe. It is also one of the many times she exposes the fact that she does not see herself as non binary as she is ALWAYS saying stuff like that.*

Also I hate that picture of her (in VIV RIP) with performative hairy legs.

*Just realised she doesn't actually say girl there, but it's clear what she means and the point stands.

Reactions: 31
The amount of time she spent posting about the post, she could have just sorted it! Can you imagine her in an office? She’d be the most dramatic person over the smallest piece of work. Everyone would know how busy she is. And she’d insist on making terrible cake. And arranging forced social activities. I feel bad now for suggesting she gets a job. Imagine the poor potential colleagues.

• Haha
Reactions: 35
Well, the honk was strong with that un!
She did make some decent points however but she was definitely under prepared as evidenced by her closing statement 'they're wrong' (akin to 'there just is' DKL mince fat content). She also neglected to say that obesity is often linked to genetics so drugs may be ineffectivein such cases. She is right that it is a moral issue though, drug side affects for one thing and making people feel like second class citizens. We should also be pointing the finger at food manufacturers who use addictive and highly processed ingredients. The pills are just a sticking plaster solution from the government who don't want to lose taxes from food companies or pay out benefits.
This really concerns me. I don’t know why they used her for this piece. If they (Adrian?) have started selling her as a Rent A Honk expert in the weight / nutrition area it won’t be long before she starts throwing around inaccurate information as hard facts, which could do considerable damage. Much as she does for every other bloody thing really, but this is jangling an alarm for me.

• Angry
Reactions: 59
I see that the Cambridge Literary Festival has said that both Jack and Kit de Waal will be introducing their books. What can Jack say about her life story that will link to her book and make it sound useful? What were the recipes again? Prune ice cream, for one.

This really concerns me. I don’t know why they used her for this piece. If they (Adrian?) have started selling her as a Rent A Honk expert in the weight / nutrition area it won’t be long before she starts throwing around inaccurate information as hard facts, which could do considerable damage. Much as she does for every other bloody thing really, but this is jangling an alarm for me.
She was on to plug her book and make it sound in some way related to the topic under discussion, which she failed to do. The previous pundit did, but Jack, no, not even an attempt to point out where her book touched on the issue. Which is just as well, because it doesn't.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 40
i *really* did not need to hit cheese mite discourse on my grunk. while eating dinner. involving gruyere. which i was really looking forward to. while im off sick with depression and anxiety. (anxious fraus, we know how hard it is to eat when your stomach's churning!). after a stomach bug. and flu

😬🤢😬🤢😬🤢

thanks though lads for helping me extend my sicknote ✌
Ahhh @kachoochoo, dearest heart. I'm sorry for ruining your dinner with the unspoilered cheese mites! I wish I could send you some apology crockery or at least some nice chocolate (maybe the Green & Blacks variety and definitely not a hideous Monroe cocoabomination). I hope you're feeling loads better today.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 23
She was on to plug her book and make it sound in some way related to the topic under discussion, which she failed to do. The previous pundit did, but Jack, no, not even an attempt to point out where her book touched on the issue. Which is just as well, because it doesn't.
That’s a relief, thankspaceyou. If that was Dr Chris he’s been hammering the ultra processed food avoidance, which certainly has income implications, message for ages and knows his stuff.

Reactions: 23
It can be. Not sure if spending addiction is a 'real thing' in itself, but it's associated with some genuine mental health issues. Bipolar is the main one, I think, but also conditions where impulse control is affected. Spending too much is a classic manic behaviour. I know a bipolar man who will go online and spend hundreds of pounds on strange items he doesn't want or need, place bets on horses, that kind of thing. This happens before he's hospitalised, usually. :(

*Don't know if any of that applies to Jack. She's selfish, and it's noticeable that most of the stuff in photos belongs to her rather than her son. Makes it look as though she never buys anything for him. I'm hoping that he's not living with her full-time and most of his things are at his dad's place.
---

That seems like so long ago now. 😬
It can be with ADHD too, although it's not just going out and buying any old crap over and over again. It's more like spending hours a day obsessing over and researching a specific thing and needing everything related to it (or the best version of it) until you suddenly go off it.

• Heart
Reactions: 28
That’s a relief, thankspaceyou. If that was Dr Chris he’s been hammering the ultra processed food avoidance, which certainly has income implications, message for ages and knows his stuff.
I agree he was a good guest, but cannot for the life of me understand what Jack Monroe would bring to the discussion.

Also, why would she participate in a Times News programme? I wouldn't have thought it would sit well with her left wing ideologies.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 31
She sounded awful in that interview, all snuffly and phlegmy. At times I genuinely couldn’t understand what she was saying. You’d think she had a horrible cold except she sounded just as bad on that podcast she did a few weeks back (and in that guardian interview shattenstone referred to her voice being so nasal she could have a peg on her nose, lol) Is that just how she’s going to sound forever now? If I was her I’d be seriously worried cos it’s one of the few lines of work she has left, and who would want to book her as a speaker after hearing that?

• Sick
  • Heart
Reactions: 43
She could set up one of those diet food companies where she sends people three meals a day. Guaranteed success as they’d take one look/sniff, chuck it in the bin and consequently shed pounds.
Or, it'd be a guaranteed success as she'd take their money and then never send them anything to eat. 🤣

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 27
I've added the radio thing to my list.

It's in brackets because we didn't know about it in advance.

Screenshot_20230309-115838_Notes.jpg

• Heart
Reactions: 36

Weight Loss Jack is gonna be amazing.
Imagine all the brackets she will have to use to softly and gently explain why her weightloss tweets are not like others, and that its OK to discuss weightloss as she has had eating disorders, is not doing it in a triggering way, and recognises it is a privilege for those with money to think about, etc etc.

• Haha
Reactions: 28
I agree he was a good guest, but cannot for the life of me understand what Jack Monroe would bring to the discussion.

Also, why would she participate in a Times News programme? I wouldn't have thought it would sit well with her left wing ideologies.
Well quite...
Tbh Times Radio will have anyone on, and I doubt she got paid much if anything for it.

Reactions: 27
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.