Jack Monroe #452 Pulped Fiction

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Aaaah FFS I hate it when my humanity gets squeezed loose but... She's had a bleeping shocker of a day, very publicly, surely her family or one of those workshy luvvies from Enablers United will have checked on her, right?
She's not a self made monster.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 51
Aaaah FFS I hate it when my humanity gets squeezed loose but... She's had a bleeping shocker of a day, very publicly, surely her family or one of those workshy luvvies from Enablers United will have checked on her, right?
She's not a self made monster.
Nah she dismissed it as “haterz” and it feeds the narrative that a co-ordinated group of evil white wing tories are trying to stop her.

• Heart
Reactions: 35
I was offered a job opportunity which, regrettably, I won't be able to accept.

Jackalope, you'll no doubt be looking for employment soon ~ ping me an email and I'll send you the WhatsApp. Best of luck!
5035CEEC-CD83-43A6-B878-657CBF381B69.jpeg

Jokes aside, I received this as an iMessage out of the blue. Newegg, haha.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 42
New poster here although I have been a bit of a lurker on and off for a while.

I think the reason why Jack doesn’t understand why people are so critical of her is that she’s never been surrounded by true poverty - just middle class “hard times”, yet is absolutely desperate to give herself as many labels as possible as she seems to still be stuck in the teenage phase of wanting to be different to others. Growing up on a council estate surrounded by people in actual poverty trying to make what little money they have stretch as far as possible, you realise how absurd and just plain unrealistic so many of her tips/recipes are.

In my experience, people who I grew up around were some of the proudest people in terms of hygiene and cleanliness and would never ever use shampoo in their washing machines/water down washing up liquid/melt soap to use as shower gel! In fact, I don’t think a lot of them would even want to use supermarkets own brand despite being skint! Instead, trips to “cheap” shops like Savers/B&M/Heron Foods meant that you could pick up branded toiletries and cleaning products for a lot cheaper than in Jacks beloved Asda. I’m sure Jack would argue that there might not be stores in walking distance, but in my experience it was always extremely common for people to share lifts or taxis to supermarkets and other shops in order to reduce costs. But Jack doesn’t suggest or do this as it isn’t as *poor me* as detailing her long walk to Asda with a heavy rucksack on her back with her arthritis playing up.

I think the items Jack purchased as soon as she had some spare money and was out of *the poverty* are also very telling of her middle class-ness. I would place bets on not one person who I grew up with knowing what the Cotswold Company even is, never mind aspiring to own their furniture and buying it the second they have some spare cash. Everyone I knew furnished their homes from IKEA/Argos/eBay as it’s cheap, but it wasn’t seen as an issue. People had more pressing things to worry about than aspiring to own expensive furniture when they hadn’t had a holiday for years, their kids needed new school shoes and winter coats and their car had broken down for the third time that year. The same with how she posts about expensive or fancy restaurants, crockery and cutlery, cookware, clothing brands etc. People in actual poverty probably don’t even know what these brands are as they are just not on your radar whilst struggling to make ends meet. Yes everybody deserves nice things when they have the opportunity to buy them, but it’s also questionable how she seems to have so many nice and expensive things despite claiming to only have £20 per week for her food shop. Obviously people may have treated themselves to expensive things when having had some spare cash once in a blue moon, but in my experience of being surrounded by poverty, any excess cash would ALWAYS be spent on things or days out for the kids rather than designer clothes/jewellery for yourself.

You would also have no reason to open tins with a knife - if yours had broken you would borrow a neighbours. But she didn’t think of this as she’s never actually lived in a working-class area where community is huge and everybody is happy to help each other where they can. And if your colander had broken, you would use the lid of your saucepan to drain or a plate over whatever it is you’re draining (common sense), not whip up some contraption involving hooks, hoops and fabric?!

The people I grew up around would also never shout from the rooftops about being in poverty… and would instead have a moan about being skint to their friends but crack on and make the most out of what little they do have.

I definitely feel her books are purchased by the middle class looking to tighten their budgets/cut back as opposed to people in *actual* poverty as those truly living on council estates etc. who are genuinely skint would realise how ridiculous her tips and recipes actually are.

There are many other inconsistencies I’ve noticed over the past year or so that anyone with ANY experience of living in true poverty would pick up on but it’s 5am and my brain isn’t able to write or think that well at the moment 😅.

EDIT: her recipes are also ridiculous to anyone who has children and genuinely is on a tight budget. Anyone who has been in this position knows how crucial it is to play it safe and cook food that you know your children will eat and not fanny about with sardines and tins of pineapple.
Instead lots of pasta or rice dishes with different sauces and alternatives to using jars would be more appropriate for the single mother in poverty audience.

• Heart
Reactions: 163
I was browsing Waterstones because I got a Christmas gift card. Guess what popped up in a list of The Non-Fiction You Need to Read in 2023? Yup, Thrifty Kitchen! 😱 It's half price but still too expensive. I felt properly triangulated. 🍉

Link here: https://www.waterstones.com/blog/the-non-fiction-you-need-to-read-in-2023#food

Urgh they look horrid. I have the weird hole phobia thing and they look repulsive to me, like something riddled with decay and little worms are going to pop out of those holes. Or slugs, decaying crumpet slugs. 🤮
Good to know other people see it too! The burrowing worms. *shudders*

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 31
I'm still amused by Jack marketing a book that tells people they can eat well on a budget by announcing that she was surviving off crisps and coffee while writing it. She really told on herself there.

Interesting to note we've gone from "200 tips" on the mock up cover to "over 120" on the final version. That's quite a jump. I'd love to know what was removed if the carabiner/carabina tip made it.

The "Bloody hell!" editor's note makes a lot of sense now too.

• Haha
Reactions: 60
I'm still amused by Jack marketing a book that tells people they can eat well on a budget by announcing that she was surviving off crisps and coffee while writing it. She really told on herself there.

Interesting to note we've gone from "200 tips" on the mock up cover to "over 120" on the final version. That's quite a jump. I'd love to know what was removed if the carabiner/carabina tip made it.

The "Bloody hell!" editor's note makes a lot of sense now too.
She took out the home spa tip - table salt and orange peel

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 34
Can anyone confirm if the ‘maybe this book will buy our forever home’ sentence has been removed from the new edition? I think that’s even more damning than the other edits…

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 52
Crumpet abuse? Nah mate, you need to be behind a door that locks from the outside. That's my hard limit.

• Haha
Reactions: 14
Morning ninnies - working from home today thanks to a: it being Friday and b: my youngest puking up what looked like a Jack recipe at about 4am 🤮🤮🤮🤮

Will get some photos of GK a bit later on, but to kick start your day, there's a fresh article ripping the pics out of her, and I swear the author must be a StealthFrau™️ as there's 5 or 6 ready made, brilliant thread titles in there like "Our own modern-day Ma Ingalls":

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 46
If she was actually thinking that this book might buy her forever home, it emphasises just how much she must have made and squandered from the previous six .

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 67
I really, really hope she ends up as a talking head on the inevitable three part Channel 4 grift exposé 🙏🏼 (alongside Gary Lineker)
I said on here a few months ago that Jack would be the perfect subject for a Netflix documentary and LJC it really is going that way.
I see it as a cross between Fyre and Wild Wild Country (she as a sort of thrift Bhagwan). Maybe some of us frauen can appear in silhouette with those weird mangled voices saying we had her number early on but no one listened to us?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 47
If she was actually thinking that this book might buy her forever home, it emphasises just how much she must have made and squandered from the previous six .
Certainly makes you think 🤔

She's getting annihilated over on Twitter too, and not a single blue tick defender. Interestingly, quite a lot of defence back at her stans asking if the PM and TT statements also make them "evil trolls". Inevitably, no reply to that.

Might be tiredness, might be the lingering honk from little man's serving up Jackslop so nicely, but I'm really thinking there's no way out if this one for her now. It's crossed over from being challenged (and that narrative of trolls/haters etc) to organisations having to issue statements and indemnities. She can't make that out differently.

Reactions: 49
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.