Jack Monroe # 45 I’ll put it on the to do list

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hi everyone! As @LF519 mentioned I have indeed been doing a partial GrunkaLunka, catching up with this year’s Jack lore that I have heard so much about (after only really paying attention to her from a week or two ago).

I watched the This Morning lingreenie, the puttanesca funebra and the episode of DKL where she committed crimes against lasagne.

On DKL, she literally comes across a child, like a giggling anxious schoolgirl who’s very nervous but not taking it seriously. You would never think she was a mum in her 30’s if you didn’t know.

Her smiling, giggling and bounciness, which ought not to be bad things, came across so awkwardly as they were coming from a place of nerves. I think her anxiety was even effecting her voice, I saw several comments about what an unpleasant voice she had but she doesn’t normally sound bad.

She seemed so unprofessional. From the jittery fidgeting to the babbled inane comments to the manky trainers (hint: viewers don’t want to be reminded of stinky shoes when thinking about food) she just looked like she shouldn’t be there. She looked like she hadn’t prepared or rehearsed at all. With the help of a whole team this is the best they could get from her. This makes me think with the best will in the world she can never be a TV chef.

To be honest though, Matt and that Jane Baxter weren’t much better. I can understand Matt being anxious, as he must have seen from rehearsals what a disaster it was going to be. Jane had no such excuse though. She also came across as ignorant about veganism when talking about her son’s choice, which annoyed me given her speciality.

Back to Jack, she should have watched Matt’s show to see what he and his programmes are all about, and otherwise prepared herself by watching other cookery shows on TV and on YouTube. She is obviously not a natural at interacting with people, so doing this could have given her pointers on how to behave and what to say. It would also show her what works for viewers and what doesn’t. But since she doesn’t even like cookery shows, she probably doesn’t empathise with the viewers.

Regarding her lingreenie, as a smoothie veteran I cannot tell you how disgusting that would be. Blended raw kale is sulphurous and bitter as hell, even with much smaller amounts than she used. Decent amounts of fruit juice are necessary to counter the bitterness. The greens of spring onions end up tasting soapy if they are not very fresh. The lemon juice she put in didn’t have anything sweet to balance it. So she was advocating eating something unbearably bitter, sour and potentially soapy and farty, poured over pasta. This isn’t just “meh” and untested, this is actually inedible.

She said spinach or kale as though they are both the same, but spinach is much more gentle tasting and easy to use in this way. It doesn’t take so much to hide the rawness.

If she wanted to get a lot of raw greens in, she should have simply made a nice pesto-style sauce out of spinach with basil or parsley.

She has really shown herself to have no cooking knowledge at all.

• Heart
Reactions: 53
I think she might get called out on that one. She said she wasn't (initially) going to do a crowdfund for the wee kitten, but was floundering I do believe. Now if she were to crowdfund for jewellery made out of the poor kitten would show how low she really is.
Ah, but she won’t suggest or crowdfund it, she will make reference to how poor she is, and her followers will say they will crowdfund for it because she is so wonderful. 🤮. She will reluctantly accept. I think we know how low she is.

• Sad
  • Sick
Reactions: 24
Early next thread suggestion; Jack Monroe Tin Cnt Cook - the only thing missing is U.

• Haha
Reactions: 40
My mother is a narcissist. It took me a lot of damage and a lot of therapy to come to that conclusion and learn to heal from it.

From the age of 7, I knew my mum was having an affair. He would come around when my dad was on his shifts, and I'd hear him and my mum having sex downstairs. He was married, too. I once got the bollocks to confront her about it - aged about 8 - but she told me I was ill and that it was all in my head.

This continued, same as it ever was. I just kept myself quiet and, while it was never vocalised by her that I needed to keep it from my dad, I didn't want to hurt him and kept it to myself anyway.

My dad committed suicide when I was 14. Completely out of the blue. I don't remember a huge amount about the time - shellshock, I guess - but I remember small nuggets. Her lover (sorry, really hate that word but there's no other one!) was over within a few days, and within a week I remember washing the dishes in the kitchen and his wife storming up our garden path, and I was shooed upstairs as screaming went on downstairs.

It all continued, over the years, into my adulthood. I was - still am - socially very gregarious and bubbly, but mute when it came to my emotions, needs, and desires. I was a chunky kid, and an obese adolescent, and I still maintain I squashed those needs down with food: my self-medication. My mother kept me that way, never pulling me up on it, buying me junk food as a teen, all the while remaining glamorous and seven stone dripping wet. I lost a buttload of weight in my mid-twenties after a health scare, and again...all down to her support, with the odd self-awareness to guiltily chirrup "I offered to take you swimming!".

I was naturally bright and therefore academically successful, and mum would often say that her love and support meant that I could achieve that. I remember being aware at the time that getting a suite of top-notch GCSEs in the aftermath of my dad's suicide was my own achievement, but never confronted or challenged her on it. Not even when I asked for my Nan to attend my graduation as the +2, and she refused - but when we turned up to the restaurant, there sat her lover.

As I moved into adulthood, I realised how much she considered me as an extension, and how she liked to keep that under control. She went to bits when I moved hundreds of miles away with a boyfriend and phoned far too frequently. When that (another narc!) relationship ended, I went back home and she delighted in welcoming me back, waving around a deposit for a house as some kind of sweetener...but only if I moved just down the road.

I moved in with my now-husband seven years ago. Again, she hated that, and I suspect still strongly dislikes him (not for who he is, but because I believe she thinks he stole me away). She loathes my mother-in-law beyond all reason - I have a perfectly fine relationship with her, not close, but healthy. I suspect my mum's jealously is because my MIL is geographically closer. All my mum really wanted was for me to be in striking range, tit out of a few kids, and live and die in the place I was born - her little convenient narcissistic supply.

ANYWAY. There's also a cat in this. I had a beloved Oriental cat. I've mentioned this before, but she was happy until we moved to the countryside, where Billy Big Bollocks forgot she was 3.5kg and would constantly terrorise local farm cats to the point they would stalk our house to attack her. After much heartache, Mr Moglits and I rehomed her for her own safety. Broke my heart. My mum initially took her on, but didn't want to commit - and the first I saw of this was when I saw an ad on Facebook. Selling my cat. When confronted, mum had me up against the ropes and just went for me, saying how could I accuse her of something like that. Um...

Things are...okay now. We speak once a week and I'm very grey rock with her (she has no interest in achievements as such - I don't talk about them any more). She's much closer with other younger females in the family, and that's fine. I didn't fufill her quota of being her cheerleader, her support, her biggest fan. And therefore she will never be happy with me.

Christ, sorry frau. There's too many I's to count there, but that kind of vomited out. Anyway, narcs.

YOU WILL NEVER WIN. And the moment you stop considering it winning, you...er, win.

The damage is brutal. I had intensive therapy a couple of years ago and the upshot was that, despite the trauma of my dad's death, it was my mum's behaviour - then and more recently - that injured me most.

I don't think my mum is evil, far from it. But she's dangerously, damagingly self-centred.
Sending ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 9
God she is so annoying. I know people grieve in different ways but god forbid anything truly bad ever happened to her, I think her head would explode!

OT story time: When my dog of 8 years (rescue, about 14 years old) died I was only 18, away at uni. Ended up coming home to say goodbye. We took him to the vet, he had the sedation but was fighting and crying out and then as they tried to administer the lethal bit he went berserk, tried to throw himself off the table (particularly impressive as he had a broken hip) and they only managed to administer a bit of it. Apparently there is some rule about this kind of thing and they couldn’t “overdose” him and give him the injection again so we had to take him home drugged up and dopey and then take him back again the next day. I spent the night laid on his blanket in the kitchen next to his basket as he whimpered in pain/ distress. Anyway next day he was finally at rest. Suffice it to say it was all bloody distressing. But the following day I was back at uni with a photo of him, supermarket flowers and a little candle because you know what life goes on.
2AA93556-47D5-4EA9-9EC4-36296808CB6F.jpeg

Don’t really know why I shared other than to say Jack really needs to sort out her perspective. When a teenager has you beat on the emotional maturity stakes it’s a bit concerning.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 40
God she is so annoying. I know people grieve in different ways but god forbid anything truly bad ever happened to her, I think her head would explode!

OT story time: When my dog of 8 years (rescue, about 14 years old) died I was only 18, away at uni. Ended up coming home to say goodbye. We took him to the vet, he had the sedation but was fighting and crying out and then as they tried to administer the lethal bit he went berserk, tried to throw himself off the table (particularly impressive as he had a broken hip) and they only managed to administer a bit of it. Apparently there is some rule about this kind of thing and they couldn’t “overdose” him and give him the injection again so we had to take him home drugged up and dopey and then take him back again the next day. I spent the night laid on his blanket in the kitchen next to his basket as he whimpered in pain/ distress. Anyway next day he was finally at rest. Suffice it to say it was all bloody distressing. But the following day I was back at uni with a photo of him, supermarket flowers and a little candle because you know what life goes on. View attachment 181572

Don’t really know why I shared other than to say Jack really needs to sort out her perspective. When a teenager has you beat on the emotional maturity stakes it’s a bit concerning.
He’s gorgeous, so cute

• Heart
Reactions: 13
At this point, I don't believe there was ever any referral to the supervet. If she had a real referral, she wouldn't have needed to like all his tweets and set her followers on it on Twitter. There was no referral, she was hoping her followers would make a big enough fuss that he would notice and offer to help.

After the obviously dodgy timeline, I am torn between believing that she did just have the kitten PTS and can't admit it on social media after everything she previously said about it, or the poor thing passed away alone locked in the bathroom while she was off buying crisps.

You can practically see it deteriorating in real time in those photos and videos over the last few days, getting skinny and shaky, her coat gets mankier looking, her eyes are clearly showing how ill she is. Not to mention she wasn't eating, and had diarrhoea. If she wouldn't have her PTS, at the very Jack should have taken that kitten to an emergency vet whenever she took that photo of it on her pillow (it looks extremely sick here) but she did nothing and let it suffer.

• Sad
Reactions: 31
Properly weird. Either she’s totally losing grip on reality or she simply knows that most people won’t bother looking into the details and doesn’t care as long as she can rake in the sympathy and likes. I know I keep banging on about this but if our cat died (can’t bear to think about it!) my immediate reaction would be to make sure my daughter was ok, probably take her out for a nice day to take her mind off of it. Maybe make her favourite meal to cheer her up (and not force her to use her own pocket money to buy the ingredients and make it herself if it’s something I don’t personally like)
Or the kitten died at some point in the morning but she waited until the evening to post about it as that's when she would recieve the biggest instant hit of attention, make the biggest impact. Most people home from work, dinner eaten etc etc. And of course she had the video to change the ending to, that took her HOURS.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 33
Gotta say, at this point I don't believe a singular one of JM's ailments are real. Would take her showing me her medical records to believe it, and even then I would think she doctored them. She's self diagnosed every last thing she yaps on about (only when it suits). I don't believe her version of any event be it popping down the shops or the death of the kitten. Everything she comes off with stinks. With the door mechanism videos and kitten scans from the vets she seems to be manically grasping at more *believe me* straws, so I expect to see the medical records uploaded soon, ta Jack

Reactions: 32
Or the kitten died at some point in the morning but she waited until the evening to post about it as that's when she would recieve the biggest instant hit of attention, make the biggest impact. Most people home from work, dinner eaten etc etc. And of course she had the video to change the ending to, that took her HOURS.
This is pretty grim but there are peak hours of engagement on each social platform & it differs by vertical / platform obvs but you'd export your twitter data and be able to take a look at which hour(s) yield highest impressions / engagements / clicks. I'd imagine as a social media professional she likely drops any for-money ventures at her peak times... :/ !

I've done some work like this before on the SODs thread scraping social data and could scrape a sample of her tweets to try and figure out when her peak times are to prove or disprove this theory if it's of interest to the thread

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 39
Probably already repeating loads, but I scanned the kitten video just because I was sure she would mention the £700 quid for the xrays. Of course she did. She's every bit as terrible as I think she is.

Embarrassing that she's watermarked it so heavily, as if this would go viral and be re-posted :LOL:

View attachment 181516
Did she only spend £700 (given the situation)? Speaks volumes about how often she uses vet services if that’s a large amount to her.

Any vegans follow the journey of This? They celebrated their 1st birthday recently and what they’ve achieved is pretty amazing. I love their chick’n pieces, most realistic out the pack imo. They used to have burger restaurants or something but anyway, my point is, she’s got some nerve recommending her book when her vegan fare is absolute garbage and light years behind what is being produced by others (including average joes on Instagram). Imagine being served this menstrual looking mess on Christmas Day 🤢 I’d rather eat a lump of coal.

Attachments

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 33
I’m finally up to date. Really hope I never bump into her in Southend. How I’m feeling right now, I’d give her a piece of my mind.

Reactions: 25
Did she only spend £700 (given the situation)? Speaks volumes about how often she uses vet services if that’s a large amount to her.

Any vegans follow the journey of This? They celebrated their 1st birthday recently and what they’ve achieved is pretty amazing. I love their chick’n pieces, most realistic out the pack imo. They used to have burger restaurants or something but anyway, my point is, she’s got some nerve recommending her book when her vegan fare is absolute garbage and light years behind what is being produced by others (including average joes on Instagram). Imagine being served this menstrual looking mess on Christmas Day 🤢 I’d rather eat a lump of coal.
Yes, I saw that recipe-it’s rank. Ottolenghi & his test kitchen lot on Instagram do amazing food, much of it accidentally vegan or easily made so-there are also so many superb blogs out there.

Reactions: 10
The footage of her older cat was terrible, I’ll be honest - he had her by the neck and was roughly licking her and wouldn’t let her get away. That’s what my cat does to shrews and mice when he catches them. And she has 13 minutes of continuous footage of this? And just kept on filming it? And is going to upload it, in the form of a monetised video, no doubt. That kitten really does keep on giving, even after it’s dead.
58A79ED7-2773-4F74-910F-661FA45258B0.jpeg

• Wow
  • Sad
  • Sick
Reactions: 34
I've no doubt that this had been pointed out before, but I've had all day to grind my teeth about her behaviour and the easy people seem to fall for it ( guilty of this myself on occasion): supposing it's true about the huge number of foster children that her parents took in over the years, and seeing as how a majority of them would have had mental health issues/ alcohol/ health problems/ drug use/ learning disabilities, she has a MASSIVE library of experience to draw from - and boy, does she. She has simply collected the problems of these children and their families and uses them as and when she needs to.
Thats what I think.

• Heart
Reactions: 29
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.