Jack Monroe #446 Egg rings in America WO-AH

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I see that Jack started the new year in fine style, with a blatant lie at 2.04am about having made the pastry for those sausage rolls. She'll never change, will she?

On the subject of the book cover, I don't think we've ever seen a physical copy of the book without the Jay Rayner quote, have we? The paperback sampler version, the hardback version on Jack's shelf, the squig from yesterday who has a copy that arrived early - they all have it.

I know there are some promo images that only have the recycled Nigella quote - but perhaps they were created before the Jay quote was ready? I guess we'll find out for sure in a few days...

• Heart
Reactions: 41
I see that Jack started the new year in fine style, with a blatant lie at 2.04am about having made the pastry for those sausage rolls. She'll never change, will she?

On the subject of the book cover, I don't think we've ever seen a physical copy of the book without the Jay Rayner quote, have we? The paperback sampler version, the hardback version on Jack's shelf, the squig from yesterday who has a copy that arrived early - they all have it.

I know there are some promo images that only have the recycled Nigella quote - but perhaps they were created before the Jay quote was ready? I guess we'll find out for sure in a few days...
Even the best cooks I know just buy ready made for ease and because it’s always great and no mess!!

Reactions: 42
Yes, she’s apparently really talented too so no wonder the fraud has been ripping off her recipes if indeed she has. And she looks way nicer than Jack in a ‘I’d eat her food without worrying about fingernail dirt’ kinda way.
Also he’s clarified what he means in this one (not squiggled as I believe that’s ok. Not surprised at all by this.
Yeah, that's standard behaviour for Jack. She lifts at least half her recipes from BBC Good Food then fucks about with them to make them a few pence cheaper per portion. The other trick she commonly uses is to combine multiple similarly-named recipes, which explains why her ingredient proportions are so often lop-sided.

And while the source recipes are generally tested and tend to work, her versions clearly aren't. Her publishers don't care, so I'd expect Grifty Kitchen to be similar.

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 59
With the release of Grifty Kitchen we are about to find out which publications are worth their salt, so to speak. An objective review should address the dangerous/ridiculous advice that Jack is giving (potential injury when opening a can ffs). It will be interesting to see who mentions this, and who doesn't touch it with a barge pole.

• Heart
Reactions: 50
You're a new member only until you make a certain amount of posts. Someone could join in 2019 and still be a new member if they don't post much.
I joined in 2020 following a tik tok thread. I didn’t post til I read the JM threads and felt comfortable to do so. I don’t have anything to contribute but I enjoy the posts and banter.
I went from new to member after my 20th post and my old teacher said I’d never amount to anything!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 97
ooh, look! someone's xmas has come, er, late. gonna follow them to see if they cook anything from it

View attachment 1843145
Curious, doing a Google search with the term "a brilliant collection of enticing budget recipes" returns basically zero hits, except for Tattle. Almost as if Jay Rayner has pulled his quote (or never allowed it to be used for that book...) and demanded it be scrubbed...

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 32
Morning Ninnies!Happy New Year I nominate "She must think we all button up the back" for next thread title. Brilliantly sardonic 🥳

• Haha
Reactions: 36
With the release of Grifty Kitchen we are about to find out which publications are worth their salt, so to speak. An objective review should address the dangerous/ridiculous advice that Jack is giving (potential injury when opening a can ffs). It will be interesting to see who mentions this, and who doesn't touch it with a barge pole.
I imagine there are going to be a curious lack of reviews of GK for this reason.

MM still seems afraid to call her out (likely because of her history of claiming SH and breakdowns) and I reckon they’ll be hesitant to say her advice is tit and dangerous.

• Angry
Reactions: 25
If she had made that pastry (she didn't) we would have seen selfies of her cute as a button with flour on her nose and filth under her nails.

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 49
I think it’s pretty clear that a lot of people read here and then go and post what they’ve read elsewhere.

Reactions: 52
Yes, she’s apparently really talented too so no wonder the fraud has been ripping off her recipes if indeed she has. And she looks way nicer than Jack in a ‘I’d eat her food without worrying about fingernail dirt’ kinda way.
Also he’s clarified what he means in this one (not squiggled as I believe that’s ok. Not surprised at all by this.
Yep - she won an internship at BBC Good Food in 2011 and has worked her way up. Just think, she's been grafting for as long as Jack's been grifting 😂😂😂

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 60
If she had made that pastry (she didn't) we would have seen selfies of her cute as a button with flour on her nose and filth under her nails.
Yeah, there's no way she wouldn't have made a huge performance of it. And she'd have crowed about it when she showed the finished product, too.

It's these little lies that she tells so easily that shock me most, I think.

Reactions: 31
Making cheese on a deli counter?? Hmmm the cheese comes pre packed to supermarket delis… I know as i worked on one during my college days
Ah, that’s the difference, you see. While at college, you worked on a deli counter of a supermarket.

Had you worked at a supermarket with a cheese and ham counter, you too could have learned ALL about “curing meats”.

63158667-B11D-4CC3-A632-DB95BDB52316.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 53
Yeah, there's no way she wouldn't have made a huge performance of it. And she'd have crowed about it when she showed the finished product, too.

It's these little lies that she tells so easily that shock me most, I think.
And there’s no real benefit to them which is the bit that always shocks me. Nobody would have blinked at the idea of someone buying pastry to make some new year snacks, or even at her buying the entire rolls. All it does is make her look ridiculous when she then shows clearly pre-made products. The same when her lies actively make her look like a bad person and not just in a “send sympathos” way.

Reactions: 36
Yeah, that's standard behaviour for Jack. She lifts at least half her recipes from BBC Good Food then fucks about with them to make them a few pence cheaper per portion. The other trick she commonly uses is to combine multiple similarly-named recipes, which explains why her ingredient proportions are so often lop-sided.

And while the source recipes are generally tested and tend to work, her versions clearly aren't. Her publishers don't care, so I'd expect Grifty Kitchen to be similar.
Mumma Jack's Best Ever Chilli. It's EXACTLY the same as Gordon Ramsay's recipe except with no meat, wine or spice of any kind.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 49
Happy new year, Fraus and Herren!

You know how sometimes products get recalled for safety purposes? It would make my 2023 if copies of Grifty Kitchen had to be recalled. I can see it now:
Jack Monroe’s publisher apologises for “dangerous advice”
All copies sold are to be recalled and pulped. Unsold copies will be pulled from shelves.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 53
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.