Jack Monroe #444 Jack's constant inner conflict over wanting to be simultaneously envied and pitied

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I started reading and just gave up. It's the same absolute nonsense you see on her Twitter. QuarterHack?

QuarterFackingWasteofTime.

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 76
Erm. No Jack, that’s not even remotely a good idea, unless you fancy bleeding out on your kitchen floor before the ambulance arrives. What is this dangerous babble.

View attachment 1835625
So, too poor to have a can opener (60p at Tesco by the way) but assumes you have unwanted sharp knives and a hammer or mallet?
HomelyComposedGalago-max-1mb.gif

I don't think I even have a mallet 🤪

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 102
That’s all folks! (I hope I’ve not pissed anyone off with my inability to spoiler!).
Clearly written pre energy cost of living. Nobody on a tight budget can justify preheating an oven an using it to make their own bread. Bread is near impossible to make yourself for the same as pre-made and is the preserve of the time rich middle classes, if you are working two min wage shift jobs you don’t have the time to faff with courgette soda bread that most kids ain’t gonna touch 🤷‍

• Sad
Reactions: 79
Do we think Nigella and Jay actually read the book before they endorsed it? I would be mortified if I saw my name attached to that. I’ll be interested to see the reviews.

• Haha
Reactions: 75
View attachment 1835648
Especially as it’s “not particularly hygienic and an awful lot of work for a reward of some coke beans for tea”.

View attachment 1835631
Also, if you can get one tin opener for £1, that’s just 5.56% of the RRP of this money saving book… OR you can buy 17 tin openers with 99p left over instead of buying this tripe, the only purpose of which is to line Jack’s pocket and for the Guardian to spunk all over her again.

Linky link to screenie
50p from Asda.

5446C12E-4DF6-4916-B5C0-C74402D46FEB.jpeg

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 75
Not being rude but ffs come on, this tit isn’t remotely based in reality. In fact I think Bear Grylls does something like this with a snake skin? Like I’m sorry but there is a welfare state and there are charities in position to help people who’ve got nothing at all, no it’s not perfect but I’m sorry no one in the UK in 2022/3 needs to do this and it’s appalling this has been published?

This is honestly something you’d see in ch4 news reporting on a humanitarian crisis like people surviving bombings or in huge refugee camps?

• Heart
Reactions: 90
TERRIBLE’S TOP TIPS

Cook your rice properly, and you won’t need to strain it through a glue smeared rag held up by key rings and caribeners.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 129
I
Not being rude but ffs come on, this tit isn’t remotely based in reality. In fact I think Bear Grylls does something like this with a snake skin? Like I’m sorry but there is a welfare state and there are charities in position to help people who’ve got nothing at all, no it’s not perfect but I’m sorry no one in the UK in 2022/3 needs to do this and it’s appalling this has been published?

This is honestly something you’d see in ch4 news reporting on a humanitarian crisis like people surviving bombings or in huge refugee camps?
It is utter utter shite, plus once cooked rice does not need to be drained.

• Haha
Reactions: 62
duck me. She needs reporting to the adult equivalent of the child accident prevention trust if there is such a thing. Shakes head in disbelief.
USE THE PAN LID TO DRAIN YA PANS IF YOU CBA TO MUCKY THE COLANDER FFS 🤦🏼‍♀️

• Haha
Reactions: 71
Can someone please, please, please get a doctor, nurse or paramedic who cover A&E to review this book because frankly based on what we've seen so so far Jack is trying to kill and injure people.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 102
So far I’m seeing recommendations for how to give yourself third degree burns (the point of a colander is actual holes, cloth versions just won’t work) and stabbing your self with a knife trying to open a tin. What the actual duck is that shite. And it took how long?! LJC.

• Haha
Reactions: 93
So basically the book is full of absolutely nothing you couldn't get Googling 'frugal/cheap recipes' or 'frugal hacks'. All the kitchen essentials are what people would already have surely or stuff you'd again, have a Google for things you need when setting up home?

If someone is that on the bones of their arse, which I presume this is the target market judging by the hacks to make cloths, then if they can't afford a £1-£5 can opener then it's doubtful they'll be parting with a tenner for a book, so WHO is this for exactly?

I have a student cookbook which clue in the name is for cheap and cheerful ways to make things from basic sauces and soda bread to full roast dinners and is incredibly useful in that it has a template shopping lists and meal plan and has things people want to eat. Who wants prune bread as a weekend treat when you could make pancakes or something that's an actual treat!?

• Heart
Reactions: 70

It's a bit Take-A-Break tip where you're told how to save some tiny amount of money by using something more expensive as a "hack." Where am I getting this fairly large clean square of cotton from? Am I supposed to use my clothes for this? And the tin opener thing is even worse. I've never not owned a tin-opener, but a hammer is for many people one of those "ask if your neighbour has one" things. Also someone's getting that knife in their eye, aren't they? Just buy a bleeping tin opener!

Edit: And am I just cutting off fraying edges from my pillowcase dishcloths (weird fabric choice) or am I hemming them with glue? Which is it, Jack? Tell me, my kids are starving!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 97
Can someone please, please, please get a doctor, nurse or paramedic who cover A&E to review this book because frankly based on what we've seen so so far Jack is trying to kill and injure people.
Is that why she is spite recommending it to mean trolls and ninnies?
Picking them off one at a time.

• Haha
Reactions: 58
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.