Jack Monroe #424 She’s as Greek as Prince William

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Yeah, that Ian Millard guy's a racist nutbag, See (I mean, it's fine if you don't click on this) here, where his disbarment is definitely NOT that he's a psychopath, but it was all down to Da Jooz.

<looks further>

Ah, he's a Nazi.

<stops looking>

Last edited:
  • Sick
  • Angry
Reactions: 51
I assumed that she got the baby formula from a foodbank for SB and drank some because she couldn’t afford milk. But now you mention it I think SB was weaned by the time she entered Les Miz mode. So, yes your point is correct.

I think a PP might have it closer to the truth, which is that is was coffee whitener she was using but retconned it into baby formula cos it sounded “better”.
There was a press photo of her standing in front of a cupboard which is open, with a few basics tins and a blue tub of aptamil

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 38
There was a press photo of her standing in front of a cupboard which is open, with a few basics tins and a blue tub of aptamil
She is quite fond of a prop cupboard. Remember her little pov one she had, with a few basics tins in?

• Haha
Reactions: 46
From a Nigella interview in Saturday's (Toronto) Globe and Mail. Well. Certainly not as enthusiastic as "a force for good in the world". Could Nigella be seeing the light?
20221105_212558.jpg

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 61
From a Nigella interview in Saturday's (Toronto) Globe and Mail. Well. Certainly not as enthusiastic as "a force for good in the world". Could Nigella be seeing the light?
View attachment 1708228
Ahahaha 'it's good to be challenged in your assumptions about food' 😂
(My main assumption is that it should be edible tbh).
Yes that must be shade, at last, from Nigella. Still it is her name plastered on crappy Kitchen.

• Haha
Reactions: 62
Morning. Just to say she was in fact on twitter yesterday, because she 'liked' this comment about That Man's show.

Screenshot 2022-11-06 at 08.40.54.png

Let me speak on this for a minute because I have FEELINGS (not really lol, just a relevant anecdote). The other day my mum bought a small amount of mince for me along with her own. I was like 'oh great I'll make a bolognese'. I was going to bulk it out with a tin of lentils a la Jamie's suggestion on his programme. However, after some deep thought and soul-searching (again not really) I decided to give my mum back the mince because it's just not worth the cost of gas for me to be making one, maybe two, portions of bolognese. That's the whole point of the programme - how to reduce energy costs while making family meals which will last for more than a day. If you can't afford more than 250g of meat, I suggest mince and tatties or something which isn't going to be on the hob for an hour or more. Thank you for coming to my Ted talk etc.

• Heart
Reactions: 104
Morning. Just to say she was in fact on twitter yesterday, because she 'liked' this comment about That Man's show.

View attachment 1708290

Let me speak on this for a minute because I have FEELINGS (not really lol, just a relevant anecdote). The other day my mum bought a small amount of mince for me along with her own. I was like 'oh great I'll make a bolognese'. I was going to bulk it out with a tin of lentils a la Jamie's suggestion on his programme. However, after some deep thought and soul-searching (again not really) I decided to give my mum back the mince because it's just not worth the cost of gas for me to be making one, maybe two, portions of bolognese. That's the whole point of the programme - how to reduce energy costs while making family meals which will last for more than a day. If you can't afford more than 250g of meat, I suggest mince and tatties or something which isn't going to be on the hob for an hour or more. Thank you for coming to my Ted talk etc.
Her sneaky likes of people slagging off Jamie have tested my last nerve.

It was gracious in the extreme for him/his team to acknowledge her - he didn't have to.

He's not perfect, but he is trying to do something good and I found his advice very useful and clear (unlike etc. etc.)

And, my Harold and I have actually followed the Bolognese tips this weekend, as we've cooked meals to take over to my father-in-law*. It works really well with lentils. Delicious as well as cheap, highly recommended. My top tip: a bit of balsamic vinegar if you have it in.

* Apologies, this means I am in no way prepared for the Slopathon yet.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 79
Yeah, that Ian Millard guy's a racist nutbag, See (I mean, it's fine if you don't click on this) here, where his disbarment is definitely NOT that he's a psychopath, but it was all down to Da Jooz.

<looks further>

Ah, he's a Nazi.

<stops looking>
Goodness! 😱

Reactions: 13
750g of mincemeat is £4.35 on the first result in Google. Probably cheaper elsewhere. I always bought big packs of mince as you can make a few different meals with them whether I was on UC or working.

I don’t understand how these people are still alive if they can’t spend £4 on food. We’d have dead piling up in the street if their stories were reality.

Reactions: 57

View attachment 1708290

But when did Jamie say his recipes were specifically for people on UC?
Of course his recipes aren't for everyone and don't address the fuel/food costs crisis across the board - but that is why there is a thing called choice and people can look to other sources for help.
Jack is being a sneaky little twit here. No wonder most other chefs/food writers won't have anything to do with her.

• Heart
Reactions: 94

<looks further>

Ah, he's a Nazi.

<stops looking>
Isn't he behind one of the anti-Jack accounts on twitter, that got banned for a while (not necessarily due to tweets related to Jack). Sure it was him.

• Wow
Reactions: 28
750g of mincemeat is £4.35 on the first result in Google. Probably cheaper elsewhere. I always bought big packs of mince as you can make a few different meals with them whether I was on UC or working.

I don’t understand how these people are still alive if they can’t spend £4 on food. We’d have dead piling up in the street if their stories were reality.
Mince is very often y/s too. It's one of my staples, and it's very rare I pay full price for it.

Reactions: 40
Of course his recipes aren't for everyone and don't address the fuel/food costs crisis across the board - but that is why there is a thing called choice and people can look to other sources for help.
Jack is being a sneaky little twit here. No wonder most other chefs/food writers won't have anything to do with her.
Didn't you realise? Every single recipe ever had to be aimed at a single mum on £10 a week with nothing more than a microwave and a blender for making slop

• Haha
Reactions: 65
Yeah this aggravates me, people that respond to budgetting help and advice with "but what about the people that don't have a hob/can't afford meat/only have 10p for the week" etc. JO's Save with Jamie book came in for similar criticism. Not all pieces of budget cookery work have to cater for the extreme poorest, there are many people that need help to work to a tighter budget that aren't on the bones of their arse. It doesn't have to be advice to suit all people, all of the time. Just mitherers people trying to pick holes in the work others do.
Usually, the examples they use for their "but what about..." are people that likely don't need budget recipes, they need help and support and could do with signposting to where they can access such.

• Heart
Reactions: 68
I really dislike derogatory sexist terms as a rule but I’ll make an exception for her - she’s a snide witch

I found Jamie’s tips really handy. And I know his recipes are going to taste good unlike her abominations. And I should know - I have some horse spunk lasagne in my fridge. For those not participating in the slopathon, I won’t go into a lot of detail beyond saying that my dog didn’t eat it all and it’s the only cooked human food he’s ever turned his nose up at.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 92
Popping over from Sali Hughes' thread to point out that batch cooking is absolutely for people on UC. Jobseekers, Income Support, Employment and Support Allowance are/were paid every 2 weeks. One of the main challenges of moving to UC is people on a very low income moving to monthly payments. Totally ignorant silly tweet and JM droning her ignorance (again) about the benefits system - something she should know like the back of her hand to be adequately doing the works she claims as her niche - by liking it.

• Heart
Reactions: 74
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.