Jack Monroe #42

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hello everyone, first time posting here! Tell me if I'm not doing it right...and apologies for length. I have lots of observations about this chick!
I'm so glad to see these threads about JM as I thought I was the only one who saw through her BS. I used to think she was ok although her culinary ability was always clearly completely exaggerated - an early recipe of hers in the Guard was, IIRC, 'cheesy peas pasta' which was pasta, mushy peas and cheese all heated up together. That was it. That was the recipe. The only way that could be seen as a serious recipe would be if it was on a blog for hardcore stoners who can barely find their kitchen let alone cook in it. But still - I just thought it was the usual Guardian fetishization of the 'deserving poor' especially since she was pretty and LGBT - usual stuff from the Graun.
But as the years went on I could see more and more how fake she is. The first red flags were the constant new health / identity dramas - trans / anorexia / alcoholism / autism etc etc. It was always something. And when I began following her on Twitter I realised that her 'working class single mum' shtick was as fake as they come. Her tone, phraseology and vocabulary are all very middle class and very privately educated posh girl middle class at that. Other working class people on this thread will know exactly what I mean. I grew up WC but got into the MC through going to uni and getting into a MC profession so I've been well placed to see the fundamental differences in the way people communicate. That humorously self-deprecating tone, the arch irony, the quirks like ironically using capitals for A Very Important Thing, subtle word choices (e.g. "your support means the ABSOLUTE WORLD") - WC people just do not talk like this. They are more direct and very, very rarely use self deprecating exaggeration at all. She's faking her background. Of course, Jack's fans wouldn't recognise this as they are all MC themselves.
As for the period of poverty. I believe it's totally exaggerated: not necessarily the depth of it but certainly the time period. Reading between the lines of various interviews I reckon what happened was that she lost her job at the fire station and then had to wait the customary 6 weeks for her benefits to come through. And yeah, if you don't have savings, that 6 weeks is hell. If you have maybe £150 of savings or can get a loan or overdraft then you can eke it out on food but without housing benefit you are truly stuffed when it comes to rent. And yeah it is depressing and terrifying, I fully get that. The thing is it's not uncommon. The things she's talked about (unscrewing lightbulbs, going to bed with clothes on cos cold, not having second helpings) are things that I and many on this thread and MILLIONS of others in this country have experienced, many for much longer than 6 weeks. It's horrible, but usually you manage to get out of it. And it's far from uncommon. But she's made it her entire personality and uses it to fish for constant attention and to bully and dogpile others. I mean, how did she get her big break in the Guardian anyway? I know loads of single mums and none of them have got fawning Guardian articles because they cooked a basic meal. Believe me the girl has media connections. No way did the Guardian just 'find' her. And the thing is her followers believe her tale of woe because they're all MC and the idea of having to ration your heating to them sounds like the equivalent of living in Raqqa under ISIS because they have no idea that this is normal and sometimes what less well-off people just have to do.

As for the dirty hands. I'm ethnically similar to Jack - but a bit further east and both parents. I'm much darker skinned than she is. So I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that that's not melanin, it's DIRT.

FFS, this girl is fake and she's poison. I have some observations about her crappy, damaging use of AA and alcoholism claims too and also the possible psychological effects of her upbringing which could explain her current behaviour but will stop now as don't want to thread hog on my first outing lol
Welcome!! If you haven’t read all the threads yet, I would thoroughly recommend #31....

I never thought of that before but I think you’re right. A connection in the media makes perfect sense! It bamboozled me regularly how she has as much exposure as she’s had.

I am WC and so is my husband. I don’t really think about class much but we’re not poor like we were when I was a kiddo (after my dad fell ill he had to stop working and for a long time, he couldn’t really be left at home alone so my mum couldn’t work either). My brother has a real issue with how we didn’t have any money growing up, even now he has a dickish attitude to cash. But he’s a twit. Me and Mr L own our home, run a car, my SB goes to private nursery and we have some “smile money” and that’s okay for me.

I have worked in the civil service for 20 years and everything is increments so if a man on my band is paid more than me, it’s because he’s been there longer. I think I’m underpaid but my job is quite niche (FANCY) and I’m so glad I haven’t encountered sexism in the workplace. I consider myself fortunate for that. @heretoreaditall2019 what you posted really touched me, your experiences sounded like something from the 70s. It’s appalling it’s so rife in this day and age.

• Heart
Reactions: 39
Aaaaand another tweet goes into the ether. I find it fascinating that while she seems to have stopped the outright self sabotage she is still pruning her twitter account rather than doing literally anything else.
I think she deleted this retweet. The original is still there.

Screenshot_2020-07-08_153709.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: 17
I’m not keen on mama either, it sounds fancy / old fashioned to me. I accept it as she isn’t very verbal, but I do keep referring to myself as ‘mum’ or ‘mummy’ hoping she’ll eventually get the hint!

That is sweet, I do think it’s interesting how different regions and families can have such different ideas about words

I know this is a couple of pages back but my lovely autistic son refers to me as his "Mumbles" and I bloody love it.

I am Mumbles....not Mummy, Mamma, Mam or Mum. He can maintain that forever.

• Heart
Reactions: 62
Aldi do a very decent peanut butter. It’s very similar to the Meridian stuff but cheaper.

I’ve never considered making my own peanut butter.

Reactions: 9
Welcome!! If you haven’t read all the threads yet, I would thoroughly recommend #31....

I never thought of that before but I think you’re right. A connection in the media makes perfect sense! It bamboozled me regularly how she has as much exposure as she’s had.
She wrote herself that a "journalist friend" set her up with the photoshoot / article which was the, uh, snowflake which led to the avalanche.

Attachments

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 26
I’m quite a few pages behind and had to give up on 40 and 41 altogether because selfishly moved house during Jack’s bitchfit; but the conversation about salacious books haven’t mentioned Forever by Judy Blume. That book had nearly fallen apart at the spine in our school library copy.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 25
Hmmm, isn't Hadjicostas a bit difficult? Just as well she doesn't have frizzy hair or she'd change colour.
To be fair, she does move between "whiter than mayo" to "bullied for my exotic/dirt-coloured Cypriot skin", like some human chameleon.

• Haha
Reactions: 29
I love the stuff. Not so keen on Basil, though - that can taste a bit soapy to me - and smoked Paprika is bleurggggghhhh. Never saw a single blood relative touch any herbs other than mint sauce, so have no idea if anybody else feels the same way.

My top 5 herbs are Dill, Sage, Coriander, Mint and Rosemary.

My top 5 spices are Ginger, Chilli, Allspice, Nutmeg and Caraway.

My top 5 'others' are sea salt flakes, pepper, poppy seeds, sesame seeds and Juniper.
Normal paprika doesnt taste like anything to me same with turmeric. Coriander tastes like soap to me but in tiny amounts I can appreciate what it adds to a dish...I think. LOVE nutmeg.

Reactions: 6
I wonder how Harper Collins are today knowing that big scary Jack (of all trades) Monroe is not absolutely definitely not letting this one go. She's awfully quiet today minus a few 'this tweet is unavailable's.

• Haha
Reactions: 21
I’m so happy my petty comment about coriander has gained so much traction on this thread! A good example of the utterly bizarre tit she lies about just for the sake of always having a little bit of an extra quirk in all her stupid boring stories.

Also coriander is LIFE. Along with basil, chives, tarragon, Mint, parsley...I bloody love herbs

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 27
She wrote herself that a "journalist friend" set her up with the photoshoot / article which was the, uh, snowflake which led to the avalanche.
"this gaunt, frail, defiant girl" - lol she looks absolutely fine, albeit ready to punch someone in the face, which to me is how she looks all the time.

• Haha
Reactions: 52
I’m quite a few pages behind and had to give up on 40 and 41 altogether because selfishly moved house during Jack’s bitchfit; but the conversation about salacious books haven’t mentioned Forever by Judy Blume. That book had nearly fallen apart at the spine in our school library copy.
Oh, we did Judy Blume 😂 last thread I think ... I lose track!

Eta! Happy house moving in

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
Oh my god ‘the cold makes me ill’ like she’s a Victorian street urchin suffering from consumption! Or one of the ducking Bronte sisters

• Haha
"this gaunt, frail, defiant girl" - lol she looks absolutely fine, albeit ready to punch someone in the face, which to me is how she looks all the time.
She has very good ‘resting witch face’, I’ll give her that.

But then again, so do I, so no judgement 😂

• Haha
Hello everyone, first time posting here! Tell me if I'm not doing it right...and apologies for length. I have lots of observations about this chick!
I'm so glad to see these threads about JM as I thought I was the only one who saw through her BS. I used to think she was ok although her culinary ability was always clearly completely exaggerated - an early recipe of hers in the Guard was, IIRC, 'cheesy peas pasta' which was pasta, mushy peas and cheese all heated up together. That was it. That was the recipe. The only way that could be seen as a serious recipe would be if it was on a blog for hardcore stoners who can barely find their kitchen let alone cook in it. But still - I just thought it was the usual Guardian fetishization of the 'deserving poor' especially since she was pretty and LGBT - usual stuff from the Graun.
But as the years went on I could see more and more how fake she is. The first red flags were the constant new health / identity dramas - trans / anorexia / alcoholism / autism etc etc. It was always something. And when I began following her on Twitter I realised that her 'working class single mum' shtick was as fake as they come. Her tone, phraseology and vocabulary are all very middle class and very privately educated posh girl middle class at that. Other working class people on this thread will know exactly what I mean. I grew up WC but got into the MC through going to uni and getting into a MC profession so I've been well placed to see the fundamental differences in the way people communicate. That humorously self-deprecating tone, the arch irony, the quirks like ironically using capitals for A Very Important Thing, subtle word choices (e.g. "your support means the ABSOLUTE WORLD") - WC people just do not talk like this. They are more direct and very, very rarely use self deprecating exaggeration at all. She's faking her background. Of course, Jack's fans wouldn't recognise this as they are all MC themselves.
As for the period of poverty. I believe it's totally exaggerated: not necessarily the depth of it but certainly the time period. Reading between the lines of various interviews I reckon what happened was that she lost her job at the fire station and then had to wait the customary 6 weeks for her benefits to come through. And yeah, if you don't have savings, that 6 weeks is hell. If you have maybe £150 of savings or can get a loan or overdraft then you can eke it out on food but without housing benefit you are truly stuffed when it comes to rent. And yeah it is depressing and terrifying, I fully get that. The thing is it's not uncommon. The things she's talked about (unscrewing lightbulbs, going to bed with clothes on cos cold, not having second helpings) are things that I and many on this thread and MILLIONS of others in this country have experienced, many for much longer than 6 weeks. It's horrible, but usually you manage to get out of it. And it's far from uncommon. But she's made it her entire personality and uses it to fish for constant attention and to bully and dogpile others. I mean, how did she get her big break in the Guardian anyway? I know loads of single mums and none of them have got fawning Guardian articles because they cooked a basic meal. Believe me the girl has media connections. No way did the Guardian just 'find' her. And the thing is her followers believe her tale of woe because they're all MC and the idea of having to ration your heating to them sounds like the equivalent of living in Raqqa under ISIS because they have no idea that this is normal and sometimes what less well-off people just have to do.

As for the dirty hands. I'm ethnically similar to Jack - but a bit further east and both parents. I'm much darker skinned than she is. So I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that that's not melanin, it's DIRT.

FFS, this girl is fake and she's poison. I have some observations about her crappy, damaging use of AA and alcoholism claims too and also the possible psychological effects of her upbringing which could explain her current behaviour but will stop now as don't want to thread hog on my first outing lol
100% on the money.

I am also well placed to see the differences between the working and middle class, and I 100% agree with everything you said.

Another thing is that working class people very rarely refer to themselves as working class.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
It's very coven-like! Covens are like family and often even closer. 😉😁
I am deadly serious when I say that I have found comfort, laughter, warmth, and wisdom in the company of internet strangers on here. I'm not alien to the concept of the internet being a source of community, but strangely, knowing you Tattlers are there - with your shared experiences, compassion, kindness, and wit - is a bigger source of comfort to me that I'd readily care to admit. COVEN LOVE.

• Heart
Reactions: 55
No blue ticker comments on her terrifying fringe insta pic! The crashing low will surely be approaching soon...

Also why did she delete the trump tweet?

• Sad
Reactions: 18
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.