Jack Monroe #42

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m on the fence about coriander - I don’t detest it but I’m not crazy about it either. I will eat it on or in things without complaint though.
Ditto for Marmite 😳
Babe, same! “You either love it or hate it” no actually I don’t mind it but I’m not a massive fan
We are truly a forgotten folk

Also 23andme claims I have a slightly increased likelihood of disliking coriander and that’s probably the least inaccurate (but still somewhat inaccurate) part of the report

• Haha
Reactions: 18
Definitely convinced she’s had fillers (nothing wrong with it but don’t lie and say you’ve got some illness when it’s a cosmetic treatment), as the horizontal fold in between the nose and top lip is very common in women who have had their lips made bigger
Absolutely she has had some facial work done. Looks as though she has had a few botox injections in her forehead. But hard to say for definite as she always photoshops her pics so much. OK so it's super common for IG influencers to photoshop but given that Jack's whole USP is all "take me as I am, I'm a rough diamond" bullshit, it comes across as pretty hypocritical. Mind you, she's no stranger to hypocrisy.

What is worse, and for someone who claims to be a mental health advocate, downright irresponsible and dangerous, is her shooping her pics to exaggerate her thinness. As a former anorexic (as she claims to be) she should know that that is SUPER triggering to anyone struggling with eating disorders who may be looking to her as a beacon of recovery. It's especially dangerous for people who talk about anorexic recovery to do so as it sends a message to struggling sufferers that it's OK to relapse and that maintaining a healthy weight is not possible. It would be bad enough if she simply posted pics of herself at a dangerously low weight. But to photoshop pics to pretend she is at a dangerously low weight, or to exaggerate it, is beyond the pale. A week or so ago she made her profile picture one of her face which was shooped to exaggerate her cheekbones and jawline. She took it down, I think someone sent her a DM about it. But given that anorexia is very vulnerable to external triggers, is highly communicable, and has the highest mortality rate of all the mental illnesses, it's beyond belief that she didn't know how dangerous her thin-flaunting on Twitter is. All leading me to conclude that she doesn't care about helping other people with mental illness. She just wants attention.

• Heart
Reactions: 36
I love the stuff. Not so keen on Basil, though - that can taste a bit soapy to me - and smoked Paprika is bleurggggghhhh. Never saw a single blood relative touch any herbs other than mint sauce, so have no idea if anybody else feels the same way.

My top 5 herbs are Dill, Sage, Coriander, Mint and Rosemary.

My top 5 spices are Ginger, Chilli, Allspice, Nutmeg and Caraway.

My top 5 'others' are sea salt flakes, pepper, poppy seeds, sesame seeds and Juniper.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Okay! I was just reading Guardian Australia online, and an article about peanut butter led me down the "hmmm, could I make peanut butter?" (quickly replaced by, no, I can't be bothered actually.)

I clicked next on Felicity Cloake's how to make the perfect peanut butter and found Ms Monroe's recipe.

So far, so ordinary. It is the Guardian circa 2015.

But then I saw the photos, and I really want you to see them, too

Hot on the heels of my peanut butter expose, I make my first ever thread title suggestion:

Peanut butter, peanut butter, Jack Monroe is an absolute...

ETA: this has it all; there's even rinsing!
Why does hers look like kinetic sand?

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 28
Why does hers look like kinetic sand?
It doesn't look at all spreadable.

I did try making it once, but I don't think my machine was powerful enough, because it did not go well. I quite like the cheap and nasty stuff anyway, the fancy one always splits and is a pain in the neck to keep trying to mix the oil back in.

• Haha
Reactions: 11
It doesn't look at all spreadable.

I did try making it once, but I don't think my machine was powerful enough, because it did not go well. I quite like the cheap and nasty stuff anyway, the fancy one always splits and is a pain in the neck to keep trying to mix the oil back in.
Peanut butter isn't very expensive to buy, it's more expensive buying the bags of peanuts. She really is a knob.

• Haha
Reactions: 28
Totally agree having read her blog from 2012/3 this morning! She had a different tone of voice and covered a lot of wider social issues in it. Food was honestly a lot more of an aside in the blog posts and maybe counted for 30% of the content. It was more of an example of how to cope while living in poverty. I can see why people became her fan in the earlier days because she largely comes across as likeable in it (aside from the JO mention haha). Absolutely nothing like how she writes now. Having read it, I really don't doubt she struggled late 2011/2012 - although she mentioned having trial jobs and three weeks of shifts in March 2012 so not the eight months of no jobs/300 applications she later claimed (having left the Fire Service in late 2011 it seems).

But I do struggle to understand why she self-flagellated to the point where she didn't ask her parents for help.

It actually made me go back into the cycle of feeling pity for her. I think fame has fucked her up.

If anyone is interested in taking a look: https://web.archive.org/web/20121013232912/http://agirlcalledjack.com/
I’ve said before, I think she was shocked by her short stint in “poverty”, because as someone who grew up very middle class, she was simply not used to the conditions in which average people live.

I also think that as a middle class girl, life on the breadline was an exotic novelty for her, and she enjoyed wallowing in it. I don’t think she asked her parents for help because it would have spoiled her fantasy of being a poor little urchin.

Her backstory of being a working class girl come good, would never have happened if it turned out that her family easily gave her a leg up out of trouble.

I truly think her time in poverty was a lifestyle choice.

• Heart
Reactions: 36
I can't get too worked up over this supposed coriander inconsistency. All she said was that SB picked it out "because he's his mother's son" - that could just mean a childhood aversion to greens? I would have picked anything green and not a pea off my plate at that age!

Not to defend Jack, because she is an awful person, but this doesn't really seem to be a great example of her awfulness, you know?

• Haha
Reactions: 16
Peanut butter isn't very expensive to buy, it's more expensive buying the bags of peanuts. She really is a knob.
85p in Sainsburys at the moment.

It would have made more sense to buy a tub of Basics PB and sprinkle some crushed ones from a packet over the top if you hadn't got a clue how to make the stuff but wanted your name and a photo in a Guardian article, really.

• Haha
Reactions: 10
Aaaaand another tweet goes into the ether. I find it fascinating that while she seems to have stopped the outright self sabotage she is still pruning her twitter account rather than doing literally anything else.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 21
I'm sure I've heard the same story, but attached to a different author, and more than once so I wouldn't take that at prima facie
True, but what I'm getting at is that DW is very much not untouchable and was in fact trending before JM went off on her ranting on the bandwagon. There were two stories about him in Popbitch yesterday, things in the press about inappropriate behaviour, all sorts of things that have been rumbling for a while. JM didn't start anything, she just jumped on to a bandwagon but gave the media something to say about DW that wasn't rumour and so fucked her own career.

Reactions: 12
I love the stuff. Not so keen on Basil, though - that can taste a bit soapy to me - and smoked Paprika is bleurggggghhhh. Never saw a single blood relative touch any herbs other than mint sauce, so have no idea if anybody else feels the same way.

My top 5 herbs are Dill, Sage, Coriander, Mint and Rosemary.

My top 5 spices are Ginger, Chilli, Allspice, Nutmeg and Caraway.

My top 5 'others' are sea salt flakes, pepper, poppy seeds, sesame seeds and Juniper.
Juniper is amazing, not just because of gin. And caraway is underrated by many, glad to see a fellow lover of it exists *fist bump *

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I can't get too worked up over this supposed coriander inconsistency. All she said was that SB picked it out "because he's his mother's son" - that could just mean a childhood aversion to greens? I would have picked anything green and not a pea off my plate at that age!

Not to defend Jack, because she is an awful person, but this doesn't really seem to be a great example of her awfulness, you know?
I mostly just find it funny. A lot of her inconsistencies make me angry but it's nice to have one like this.

• Haha
Reactions: 22
Very good point about being a council or housing association tenant v having a mortgage. My flat is around 50 years old. Before I bought it I had to get the windows repaired. They kept coming off the tilt. They stayed fine for a bit but one of my windows just won’t close.

I’ve had no light in my bathroom for ages as the light blew and it can only be replaced by someone who knows what they are doing.

I had plans to put flooring down in the kitchen and do other bits and pieces but it’s pointless. I’ve known for 3 years that I’ll be leaving and when I do move into my next flat which will be council again I’m looking forward to getting things repaired as they need done.

I know people who could afford a mortgage but have always chosen to rent. I got a new kitchen put in 6 years ago when I was a council tenant which would have cost me about 3 grand. (Badly needed at the time as my kitchen was crumbling).

I see Jack is losing twitter followers again. Deserved. She’s mean.

• Heart
Reactions: 25
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.