Jack Monroe #42

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My mum would flat out ignore me if I started calling her anything other than mum. And she's a bloody stubborn woman too, so she'd be in it for the long haul. She's still pissed off at me that I've stopped calling her sister aunty, and that my daughter doesn't call anyone aunty or uncle. It's one of those 'you do you' things isn't it?
My aunty told me I don't need to call her or my uncle "Aunty XXX and Uncle XXX" anymore when I was in my twenties. I still do - that's what I've called them all my life and it's sort of strange for me to change that now. I knew people that called their parents by their first names but once I was in secondary school I went from "mummy/daddy" to "mum/dad" (and occasionally "Ma" said in a Nick Cotton voice to wind my poor mum up) and still do.

• Haha
Reactions: 22
Anyone who truly hates coriander (and there are no in betweens - it's either love or hate) couldn't eat a big spoonful of dal with coriander. duck off Jack, hating coriander is MY niche (and apparently the niche of quite a few fraus :LOL:)

I used to have a rabbit who loved coriander and my mum would buy him huge bagfuls of it - FANCY - and make me chop it up for the bugger. My hands would STINK all day :sick:

• Haha
Reactions: 30
Anyone who truly hates coriander (and there are no in betweens - it's either love or hate) couldn't eat a big spoonful of dal with coriander. duck off Jack, hating coriander is MY niche (and apparently the niche of quite a few fraus :LOL:)
I’m on the fence about coriander - I don’t detest it but I’m not crazy about it either. I will eat it on or in things without complaint though.
Ditto for Marmite 😳

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 19
I’m on the fence about coriander - I don’t detest it but I’m not crazy about it either. I will eat it on or in things without complaint though.
Ditto for Marmite 😳
I don’t understand, these are not things you can be on the fence about!

• Haha
Reactions: 36

I used to have a rabbit who loved coriander and my mum would buy him huge bagfuls of it - FANCY - and make me chop it up for the bugger. My hands would STINK all day :sick:
Can’t stand the stuff. My sister-in-law’s piece de resistance soups are carrot and coriander and pea (which I also hate). She likes to make them for us as we are vegetarian. I haven’t the heart to tell her I don’t like them, plus I’m the only one who doesn’t like it so I go along with it all.
Smiling, while crying on the inside 😂

Ditto for Marmite 😳
Not @MarmiteExtract! It’s a love all the way from me !

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 23
@Veronicaaa Did you ask about lips and when they first changed?

View attachment 175835

View attachment 175836

We are in no way surgery shaming but she loves an am dram doesn’t she. She was probably in lip pain because of them, I’ve heard girls say it really bleeping hurts?

Both, I suspect ;)
100%. I was annoyed this morning so quite glad we had an amazing floor fitter over to chat about wood with lol, but as he left it sprung into my mind like... how is she going to cope with home ownership and the huge bleeping responsibility / burden it is? I know it’s easy to say once you’ve gotten there but sometimes I do think how much easier it’d be just to rent a gorgeous flat somewhere versus all the tit we’re going through for what are ultimately minor cosmetic changes (plastering, flooring, new electrics) to a property that is thankfully sound & safe to live in? She honestly wouldn’t cope with the slightest inconvenience or unexpected bill because she’s clearly not capable of budgeting or prioritising...?

Reactions: 20
I neither love nor hate coriander. I wouldn’t go out of my way to eat it but I wouldn’t refuse it either.

Jacks food reminds me of being vegetarian 20 years ago when all you could get when you ate out was a bean burger or macaroni cheese

she looks healthy in those photos. There’s a still of her on YouTube when she was on this morning talking about Marcus Rashfords campaign and she just looks ill. Rather than piling onto David W she should be concentrating on getting herself well again.

I have personally never bothered my arse about being working class. My first bf came from a family who were rich compared to us. Self made. They were and still are market gardeners. I didn’t think of him as middle class oddly enough. He was very ordinary. He didn’t go to my school but he went to a local high school. His dad was as tight as a ducks backside and refused to pay a penny to help him through uni. My mum didn’t have much but always helped me. I’ve also never bothered about growing up in a council house. At school some of my pals grew up in an estate nicknamed spam valley. People mortgaged themselves to the hilt and struggled financially as a result. I live in one of the worst areas of my home town but I will be very sorry to leave here when I move in a few weeks. I’m moving into a much posher area (not my choice).

I never felt disadvantaged coming from a single parent family, one that didn’t have much cash. Money helps and no one wants to struggle but as long as you have enough it’s not the be all and end all.

I know people I went to school with who were poor growing up and now have loads of cash and are ashamed of where they came from. Desperate to call themselves middle class. I think it’s a very British thing and it’s a tad odd.

• Heart
Reactions: 23
Definitely convinced she’s had fillers (nothing wrong with it but don’t lie and say you’ve got some illness when it’s a cosmetic treatment), as the horizontal fold in between the nose and top lip is very common in women who have had their lips made bigger

Reactions: 20
Also - further to her hating coriander, the Dal she made on DKL has got a huge handful in, and she’s eating it happily 🤷🏻‍♀️
Is this a recent wagon she's hijacked? (see what I did there😁) because if she had a real aversion to coriander, how is she tasting her recipes to see if they're on track? I can sense the devil's herb as SOON as I enter a room and immediately lose my appetite. It is a genetic condition, and I can trace it back through my maternal line to my great grandmother. If she's cooking with it, then she has a slight dislike, not an aversion.
silly cow.

• Haha
Reactions: 16
I’m the opposite, I’m not keen on “mama” it reminds me of something a creepy possessed doll or little ghost girl might say in a horror film 😆 would hate to hear one of my kids calling it in the night!
My Nan always referred to my grandad as “Daddy” whether she was talking to the grandkids or my parents or asking if he wanted a cup of tea etc. I think it’s sweet and she definitely wasn’t posh or a preschooler. She was east London through and through but it was a nice way of saying he was the head of the family.
I’m not keen on mama either, it sounds fancy / old fashioned to me. I accept it as she isn’t very verbal, but I do keep referring to myself as ‘mum’ or ‘mummy’ hoping she’ll eventually get the hint!

That is sweet, I do think it’s interesting how different regions and families can have such different ideas about words

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Do you have a funny name? As if you do and you also have frizzy hair, clearly you are black not white.
Hmmm, isn't Hadjicostas a bit difficult? Just as well she doesn't have frizzy hair or she'd change colour.

• Haha
Reactions: 21
Do you know something.....

I agree with her.... She does work hard.

She works very very hard to stay in the limelight.

She doesn't seem to like it that people have other things to do and that she could potentially easily fall back into obscurity of she is not doing something to keep her on topic.

Bless you petal no wonder you're knackered that's alot of work, but you do have your name in various prints, so you won't be forgotten if you stay quiet and work on something else for alittle while, it may in fact help you in every aspect of your life, your career, your personal life and your health.

• Haha
Reactions: 25
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.