Jack Monroe #417 Hard to play the victim when you’ve ripped people off.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Do we need to start a 'when I hand a book in/when I get an advance I buy one ridiculous thing' list?

Mulberry satchel
Burberry trench coat
a decent pair of boots
butter soft leather leggings
some nice furniture
a good dining table
a Stetson hat
multiple Kate Spade handbags

No wonder she can't get a mortgage.
Nice things for the kids comes top of the list for most parents I'd have thought.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 81
I think she mentioned £25k once
I don't think it'll be anywhere close to that these days, she hasn't got the sales to back it up any more. Maybe a couple of thousand, I wouldn't think more than £5k.

Reactions: 49
Oh to be a writer and to be able to afford a new Burberry coat, a new Kate Spade bag AND a new Cotswold sideboard with every book deal...
And a piece of Viv (RIP) no less! Jack's book advances are like the magic porridge pot.

Fancy blowing any money you get on high end designer goods and then complaining for the next few years that you're too poor to wash your hair. Budgeting expert indeed!

Reactions: 60
And a piece of Viv (RIP) no less! Jack's book advances are like the magic porridge pot.

Fancy blowing any money you get on high end designer goods and then complaining for the next few years that you're too poor to wash your hair. Budgeting expert indeed!
And this is the crux - Jack Monroe has cornered herself. She either has to expose herself as having lied about her status, or expose herself as being tit at the very USP she built her (fake) house of cards on.......

Reactions: 60
I just got my backdated pay and decided to buy my own Netflix instead of using my brothers as I have done for many years and that felt fancy.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 122
I don't think it'll be anywhere close to that these days, she hasn't got the sales to back it up any more. Maybe a couple of thousand, I wouldn't think more than £5k.
I actually asked my SIL this recently - she is a publishing non-frau 🔺️ and she said based on the lack of main stream media advertising and looking at sales figures for good food for bad days, at her publishing house the new one would have an advance of around 5-7k. Not something to be sniffed at but is it really worth it when she's raking in probably half of that per month on patreon?

• Heart
Reactions: 70
Is there anything she didn’t buy with her book advances? What she’s inadvertently revealed with all this designer gear showing off is that she basically pissed away all her money on material goods and put nothing away for day to day living, ie those days when you don’t have a book advance arriving in your bank account.

• Heart
Reactions: 68
Is there anything she didn’t buy with her book advances? What she’s inadvertently revealed with all this designer gear showing off is that she basically pissed away all her money on material goods and put nothing away for day to day living, ie those days when you don’t have a book advance arriving in your bank account.
BIB - her forever home 😢 🏡

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 69
Do we need to start a 'when I hand a book in/when I get an advance I buy one ridiculous thing' list?

Mulberry satchel
Burberry trench coat
a decent pair of boots
butter soft leather leggings
some nice furniture
a good dining table
a Stetson hat
multiple Kate Spade handbags

No wonder she can't get a mortgage.
Never mind the Vimes Boots Index, we need a Jack Lies Index

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 65
Carried over from the last thread but I have found something to entertain me even more than our T-shirt design phase
View attachment 1658316
Love it. Could even take it wider and say "I haven't actually done anything other than antagonise people, centre myself in all discussions, and spend every waking hour on Twitter" (yet)

Reactions: 30
Just nipping back to previous thread and the nightmare kitchen, first thought fire hazard! 🔥 how on earth can you actually use the microwave?

Was this pre or post leggy? And why does she think this is aspirational?

We know she doesn’t clean and spices etc are best kept cool, dark. I bet the majority of her herbs/spices are well past there best and not fit for purpose 🤢

• Sick
Reactions: 40
She bought herself a Kate Spade bag for every book deal *and* Burberry overcoats for some deals as well?? How much of an effing advance does she get? It's not like she's James Patterson FFS.
Whatever she get’s, she spends straight away, she can’t have money burning a hole in her go Henry. Hence the begging, she splurges her advance, then has nothing to live on

• Haha
Reactions: 39
As I've mentioned before, in my experience 🔺, when you sign a book deal you usually get some of the advance on signing, some when you hand in the draft, and some when it's actually published (hardback and paperback). Then you get royalties once you've "earned out" (is the publisher has sold enough to cover what they've already given you). So even though the top line number might sound impressive, the sums you get at any time are smaller. And if your book doesn't sell, then you won't get additional royalties and might not get such a big advance next time.
She is simply terrible with money - double, triple, quadruple dipping into her pot for treats any time she gets paid for something and then wondering why she feels skint yet is surrounded by so much spenny stuff she even has to lie about or hide.
In no universe should she be a spokesperson for thrift and budgeting - when Jack wants, she shops. And then she lives on slops.

• Heart
Reactions: 69
I think it's problematic and inappropriate for the therapist to also be her publisher- if they decided to end the book contract would they continue to provide therapeutic services to console her?

Reactions: 43
As I've mentioned before, in my experience 🔺, when you sign a book deal you usually get some of the advance on signing, some when you hand in the draft, and some when it's actually published (hardback and paperback). Then you get royalties once you've "earned out" (is the publisher has sold enough to cover what they've already given you). So even though the top line number might sound impressive, the sums you get at any time are smaller. And if your book doesn't sell, then you won't get additional royalties and might not get such a big advance next time.
She is simply terrible with money - double, triple, quadruple dipping into her pot for treats any time she gets paid for something and then wondering why she feels skint yet is surrounded by so much spenny stuff she even has to lie about or hide.
In no universe should she be a spokesperson for thrift and budgeting - when Jack wants, she shops. And then she lives on slops.
She ain't skint. Her book deals keeps her in treats while the patreons funds the household to the manor in which she's accustomed. I wonder whether it's dipped at all. The last time I looked it was at 705.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 49
She ain't skint. Her book deals keeps her in treats while the patreons funds the household to the manor in which she's accustomed. I wonder whether it's dipped at all. The last time I looked it was at 705.
When I joined here in the late 390s ish it was showing at over 800? I'm not sure if there's another bit i should be looking at, but on the surface it looks quite a drop to me.

Reactions: 30
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.