Jack Monroe #41 No one else gaslights or fights for 'likes' like Jack Monroe. Oops.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Does anyone remember the Judy Blume 'Forever' book, about the first sexual experience of a teenager? There was a lot of pearl clutching around it and it was passed around my school like contraband. I read it when I was quite a young teenager and there were only a couple of pages about sex. The rest of the book was more about relationships and the readiness for sex. Admittedly I don't know what my 40 odd year old self would make of it now but as a teenager, I didn't find it shocking or it making me want me to go out and have sex. In fact I remember it being one of my less favourite books of hers.
I actually re read a couple of her books a few years ago (I had read them all before I was 10 and I remember hiding them from my parents), but actually reading them back they are very tame, unless they’ve done some kind of re edit because of the whole scandal of them? All of her books were amazing though ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 17
She’s got a chip on her shoulder because she doesn’t own a home at 32. I was 48 before I bought my flat.

I’m actually sure part of her resentment is the fact that she’s not a millionaire by now and that she can’t buy a flat outright. I mean she’s a best selling author. Five books. Ten years in the game. And she’s moaning about living in a rented crappy bungalow. When some kids are in one room in a B and B.
Moreover, if you combined the cost of all the Cotsworld sideboards, extra iPhones, Dyson fans and so forth, she probably would be about 1/3 of the way to a 10% deposit for a 2 bedroom flat somewhere. She could even use help to buy/first time buyer schemes. My friend recently bought a lovely house where the council own 30% of it (and she and her partner are salaried at around £20k p/a each).

I've not been on benefits myself but I'm genuinely curious if this would impact your credit rating to the extent JM says - i.e. she can't get a mortgage? She never talks about being in debt when she went through poverty, just about having no ingoings. I may be totally wrong here, but just wondering.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Jack: "I'm not resentful"

Also Jack:

View attachment 174705
This is so creepy - I also found the 'I'm so calm it's almost terrifying' comment quite triggering and reminded me of the emails I'd get from my abusive ex-boyfriend in the middle of the night for months and months on end after we broke up. He wrote in a really similar way to Jack, seemingly innocent statements in which the subtext is very threatening but subtle enough that he could gaslight me into thinking I was suffering from paranoia and going crazy.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 45
The narcissist I crossed paths with last year is also a huge gaslighter. He tried to gaslight me. He got sent off with a flea in his ear. What he does is he harasses people on twitter. Generally women and then calls them mental.

This person told so many lies about me I actually lost count. He actually did a twitter thread saying that I had threatened to turn up at his house and his work (as if) and that his work had to increase security because of me. I don’t know where he lives and I’ve no desire to find out either.

He invented a mental disorder for me and people believed him. He also told people that I have a social worker. News to me.

He hates. And I mean hates being challenged. How did his obsessive behaviour start towards me? I found out that he was spreading lies about my mental health and I asked him to stop.

Narcissists hate being challenged. They hate it. They hate criticism. They think they are always right. It’s tiresome. And in many situations where this man could have spoken TO me. He chose instead to set the twitter dogs on me time and time again.

Gaslighting is psychological abuse and anyone who gaslights or attempts to gaslight anyone really is not a nice person. Putting it mildly.

Narcissists love drama. They thrive on causing chaos and drama. Until jack finds happiness from within she won’t stop this. And she won’t leave twitter either. Not a chance.

I’d also be interested to know whether jacks targets tend to be Male or female. The narc I crossed paths with targets women and runs a mile if a man ever challenged him.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 27
Is it right she’s autistic? Been doing some reading around about this ‘lovely’ person and I’m intrigued as to why she feels she can just do what she does with no forethought for other people?

I’m about to jump into the rabbit hole from thread 31 lol
Even if she is autistic, creating pile-ons on twitter and being a bully isn't a symptom. Autism is a neurodivergent disorder characterised by varying and various symptoms that exist on a spectrum. Being autistic isn't an excuse or shorthand for being a horrible bleep.

• Heart
Reactions: 31
Hi coven

I have few thoughts I need to share before I get on with work (guys, I'm BUSY).

First of all, thanks @LennyBriscoe , partner in crime-fighting and unfortunately horrible childhood trauma. I really appreciated your post. I couldn't respond yesterday. It just all got a bit too much. Also hope @MancBee is ok today. And everyone else who has experience of what we are talking about. This thread sure brings up a lot of stuff.

I have to say, I didn't love thread 40 (apart from its amazing title of course). There seemed to be a lot of posts suggesting JM should be sectioned, her child should be taken away from here, etc. I don't like it when this forum takes that tone (and yes, of course, while I'm a cop, I'm not actually the thread police, so you can all do what you want, it's just my 2 cents). It just makes me uncomfortable, a bit like people saying the RSPCC should be called about her kitten. Yes, she's awful, but I personally can't see any evidence for behaviour that would warrant sectioning or other authorities getting involved. She's unhinged on Twitter, but so are many and it doesn't mean she's a terrible parent. I just don't think it's a sensible conclusion to draw.

Regarding DW, I'm much, much more concerned about allegations about his behaviour with teenage girls coming to light. Those text exchanges read very inappropriate and creepy. I cannot see how they can be explained away.

Regardless, her 'book analysis' is just so flawed. Like a previous poster showed, the term 'slag' is used by a horrible character and it illustrates how horrible he is. This is pretty much true of all the examples she cited. I don't like them because I think they are lazy and not funny, but I was obsessed with Goosebumps, which is the epitome of writing by numbers, but I devoured them all. You'll be pleased to know that I haven't turned into a serial killer.

Conclusion, she's still an idiot, trying to get attention where she can. I agree that her downfall will not be spectacular. It'll be a trickle. Work will dry up. There might be another peak or two before that happens, but it will. She's showing her true colours for everyone to see now. People don't like cancel culture. They don't like the gloating. She's coming at people within her own industry. Which editor would like to work with her after her rants about Harper Collins and their staff? Not many, is my guess. The industry is small. People know each other. People talk. They may not tweet about it. But they'll file it away, in their crazy little minds, for future reference.

As you were.

Great summary. A lot of ‘the industry folk’ aren’t engaging directly but it’s good to see conversations dotted around twitter expressing disdain for the behaviour she’s displaying. Sanity prevailing?

Reactions: 27
I actually re read a couple of her books a few years ago (I had read them all before I was 10 and I remember hiding them from my parents), but actually reading them back they are very tame, unless they’ve done some kind of re edit because of the whole scandal of them? All of her books were amazing though ❤
Love Judy Blume! She's spent her life speaking out against banning books in any form and has long been a defender of children's right to read whatever they want. A very, very different approach to our Jack.

Judy is fab.

• Heart
Reactions: 48
She is buzzing from it all isn't she? Euphoric even. All because she's getting a lot of attention and affirmation and followers. It is incredibly uncomfortable and unpleasant to witness.

I remember her saying during one Hellmanns episode it was difficult to keep her son entertained alone for the 45 mins she was broadcasting. But what the duck is the poor kid during whilst she is tweeting non-stop, "working", napping and speed reading books?

• Sad
Reactions: 32
She is buzzing from it all isn't she? Euphoric even. All because she's getting a lot of attention and affirmation and followers. It is incredibly uncomfortable and unpleasant to witness.

I remember her saying during one Hellmanns episode it was difficult to keep her son entertained alone for the 45 mins she was broadcasting. But what the duck is the poor kid during whilst she is tweeting non-stop, "working", napping and speed reading books?
Well he definitely doesn't have his favourite books to keep him entertained anymore

• Sad
Reactions: 18
Love Judy Blume! She's spent her life speaking out against banning books in any form and has long been a defender of children's right to read whatever they want. A very, very different approach to our Jack.

Judy is fab.
Me three 🤭 I read Forever when I was an innocent 13 and I was scandalised 😂 I love Tiger Eyes and Deenie ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 21

Judy is fab.
Yes! I loved Judy Blume when I was younger, such great books that tackle some of the problems that I didn't want to ask my parents about. Hurrah for Judy! And Betsy Byars too. Two authors I really loved.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Absolutely this. You can feel her enthusiasm at tearing DW down through the tweets. She really believes she's got the moral high ground and can't wait to be the one responsible for his downfall. I hate cancelling people for things like this. Where is the room to grow? To discuss and improve things? Why not be working to an end that sees everyone able to move on feeling they've made the books better?

• Sad
Reactions: 24
Look at Jack's hero, Nigella's twitter - look how lovely and calm and positive it is. Promoting other people's work, a nice board game, her own recipes and a tiny bit of politics without talking about herself. The complete polar opposite of Jack's toxic narcissistic energy that permeates out of everything she does.

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 39
Moreover, if you combined the cost of all the Cotsworld sideboards, extra iPhones, Dyson fans and so forth, she probably would be about 1/3 of the way to a 10% deposit for a 2 bedroom flat somewhere. She could even use help to buy/first time buyer schemes. My friend recently bought a lovely house where the council own 30% of it (and she and her partner are salaried at around £20k p/a each).

I've not been on benefits myself but I'm genuinely curious if this would impact your credit rating to the extent JM says - i.e. she can't get a mortgage? She never talks about being in debt when she went through poverty, just about having no ingoings. I may be totally wrong here, but just wondering.
She must have defaulted on a lot of payments to wreck her credit rating

I would assume it was from the time she was unemployed. I’m on UC just now and my credit rating is excellent. Even when I’ve been skint I’ve made sure I’ve not defaulted on anything.

She went from earning 27k to being on WTC so I assume she had bills she simply could not pay.

I do remember her saying she couldn’t even get a mobile phone contract. I don’t know how many years it takes to repair a poor credit rating? Maybe 7?

Yeah it is 7 before negative information drops off your file. You can also take steps to repair your credit rating. Not having too much available credit on cards is one way.

You can also get a credit card for people with poor credit and if you make small purchases and always pay the bill on time that would also help repair the credit score.

Reactions: 12
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.