Jack Monroe #408 All those blue ticks holding her up like Simba

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think it's because if you take her at face value - using her own experience to make and share cheap recipes, campaigning and raising money for food banks...then she is one of the "good guys".

It's only when you start putting statements together, noticing the lack of follow up etc.

And she's not really worth much more thought from most people so they don't do their due diligence. And none of them will be making her recipes.

I maintain that most people just don't care enough about her to give her any scrutiny.

Definitely. Until I found her on here, she seemed a reasonable enough person to me. I take more issue with the Guardian still fawning over her and giving her money for writing.

• Heart
Reactions: 52
Back from Tattle Life retirement for tatergate.

Are the bots phase 1 of reputation management? It's almost like they're trying to get Jack trending because the reaction to the leaving has been muted, to non existent. Like 'yoo hoo, please notice that I've LEFT, coo eee, HELLO! Anyone out there?'. Attaching a random 7year old video to it as well is just desperate.

Only big blue ticker I've seen comment is Jeremy Vine and he even implied it's the right thing for them to do. Nothing from Mom. No hashtag campaigns on the go.

The Sunday Woman article isn't great, it sounds too personal. And it won't turn any heads that have been fed Jack's story for the past 10yrs. Tbh I doubt any great revelations about misappropriation of charitable funds etc would sway some of the hardened supporters. I think many would forgive it. Jack's intentions were good in raising the money but she had to do it as SB couldn't have toast and jam because of the Tory bastards and they drove her down that path. I would expect people to say that they don't even mind that the money went to Jack instead of charity because to them Jack IS a charity. Like sponsoring a kid in Africa or something. "How do you support the impoverished Cressida?" "Oh I donate to Jack Monroe, poor little pixie, can't afford lightbulbs, it's turrible darling we must do more". Apologies if your name is Cressida.

The people who will steer clear though is probably brand partners
How much longer does she think this Smol Pixie with a tiny starving child thing is going to work? She is now pushing 40 with an almost teenaged son, and with all the opportunities she has had - opportunities that most other people can only dream of - the fact that she is still crying poverty must mean that surely even the most die-hard fans must be starting to think her (claims of) current poverty can only be a self-inflicted choice/cos play..

ETA: I thought she was 36, but just googled and she is 34, so my 'pushing 40' comment was a but premature, but nevertheless, mid 30s with the media career she has been given means she should really have her tit together by now!

Reactions: 68
As long as JM makes noise about issues like the rising cost of fuel and of food - even when she's not saying anything different or more insightful than any other commentator - the true believers are going to see her as a dedicated activist that's uplifting the downtrodden poors and as someone that's on their side. Sadly.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 42
Being a ninny this morning - can a fellow frau take pity on me and advise where the media section is? I looked at the wiki & couldn't see it?
I'm going to catch up on the radio Scotland & the podcast this morning.
Apparently I'm a gluten for punishment!

• Haha
Reactions: 19
In all honesty I don't think the Sunday Woman article is very good. It's poorly written and focuses more on having a dig at Jack than focusing on the facts. I'm a little disappointed. Molly did a much better job.
You’re going to get more of this though. And my sense is that it’s not about writing anything groundbreaking about JM, more about raising their own online profile - had anyone heard of SundayWoman before this? To AM’s credit she was able to put everything together cohesively but the stuff that has come out since is mostly copycat clickbait content. If it was as personal as described why not publish and push from
the personal Twitter account? I hate that I’m becoming cynical but I can see more and more why the mods want to avoid overlap.

• Heart
Reactions: 54
The article is poorly written and not as forensic as I think we would like, but it’s exposing the grift to a new audience and that can only be a good thing, really.

• Heart
Reactions: 50
Amazing work @That Forensic Man & other clever ninnies, chapeau x

I’ve searched past threads and couldn’t see that this Instagram look had been costed before? Huge apols if I’m duplicating old news, but I’ve worked it out at a minimum £98.91 (mini sizes where available & combined blusher and bronzer palette) to a maximum £134.11. Jack was very clear that there was no sponsorship or freebies.

View attachment 1615345
View attachment 1615346

OMG that crispy hair 😂 cannot believe that is a recent photo and not from the 90s

• Haha
Reactions: 41
The article is poorly written and not as forensic as I think we would like, but it’s exposing the grift to a new audience and that can only be a good thing, really.
Yeah I'm choosing to look at it that way as well. Keeps the momentum going. We don't want the chatter to fizzle out, and then she comes sneaking back through the back door like nowt has happened. 🙄

The group of people that are wise to her is increasing all the time, and that's delicious. 🥰

• Heart
Reactions: 48
I'd agree with much of what's been said about the latest article. It started with promise, but overall a bit wishy washy. It's being retweeted a bit though, so I think it's more a case of the overall cult around Jack being slowly chipped away at, yhrough various streams. The FMs are less vocal compared with the critics for sure.

She could've avoided a lot of this by holding her hands up and being honest a long time ago. I have little sympathy for her now. But I still think she could actually do good if she wanted to attempt to change the way she acts. Maybe I'm naive. Probably.

Reactions: 38
I think the bit about that being the leading luxury magazine for women in their 30s is in the author’s head. She has byline credits for most of the articles on the site. It wasn’t a good article.

Final word on the cocaine thing (before we get told off by the mods again) - the only reason it came up was bringing lived - and past - experience to speculating about Jack and ❄

No one was saying it was a great thing to do
My final word on the ❄ thing!
#Bootstrapcoke

• Haha
Reactions: 77
Being a ninny this morning - can a fellow frau take pity on me and advise where the media section is? I looked at the wiki & couldn't see it?
I'm going to catch up on the radio Scotland & the podcast this morning.
Apparently I'm a gluten for punishment!
Link to bbc Scotland thing here: https://tattle.life/threads/jack-mo...rning-about-a-jack-monroe.33897/post-11959343

podcast:https://www.blockedandreported.org/...unbelievable?utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web

I don’t know how to use the media section :eek:

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 18
And also multiple people have in the past mentioned the cartel/violence/massacres aspects of cocaine production, AND it seems quite unkind to dismiss people as some wannabe cool clique when everyone here is being honest about mostly past drug use that is mostly discussed neutrally or negatively. The informative, open, and supportive nature of all the substance use discussion here is really refreshing (coming from the NHS 🔺️ where my fellow professionals can still be so gott verdammt judgemental). Particularly small minded of that Twitter-er given how much of the discussion is around addiction/recovery - why are they demanding nuance while showing none of their own.

And even if people here WERE banging on about how bleeping cool they are for doing drugs, AND?! So what?! Jack has proudly made herself the poster child for one kind of substance use, and talks about it ALL THE TIME, of course substance use is going to get discussed.

Signed, a Definitely Not Cool Girl whose substance usage has been confined to what I have been offered for free in nightlife toilets in Leeds (should I publish this as a budgeting hack)
Dave would be so proud you’re not financing your BTL empire drug consumption! #savvy

I love this comment as it’s a really nice & kind perspective. You are so right though - even Jack’s own tall tales of addiction and recovery repeat these unkind tropes which is why so many ppl speak openly about recovery here to correct the narrative she puts out for clout/cash.

View attachment 1615268

Apologies if this has been said already but this for me is why it’s so important people other than Tattlers speak about how awful Jack is. They’ve overlooked all the costing of her items, all the screenshots of her Twitter behaviour that may have then been deleted and all the legitimate points we discuss here to focus on that. Her cult members will close their minds to all the evidence especially if it comes from here because they think we’re nasty lying trolls (in spite of the evidence)

But if it’s gaining traction and other people are speaking about it then surely that’s a good thing?
Massively agree with this ❤ Have also looked up that tweet and apologise as they’re not a Jack stan as I said in my original comment, they surfaced the best Dave receipt we’ve ever had so major respect for that. Idk what to say on that comment with this new info tho 😳😳😳 Send priory-ios / apart hotel-ios / de-activate-ios? 😳

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 43
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.