Jack Monroe #407 I lost hours yesterday learning about a Jack Monroe

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Next woman pushing subscription meal boxes. Poor poor Scotlanders actually wanting tips. .
I think the problem is that people have been doing all this tit and Jack's 'check your cupboard' bullshit for years. There is nothing left that people can do to save money. There's nothing more to cut. People like Jack guve the impression that it's doable to live on £20 a week and it really isn't. Which is why we don't need self obsessed, narcissistic, middle class that's telling people what's bloody obvious, but actual proper campaigners who will campaign for wages changes etc.

I know this has all been said before but what a waste of time getting Jack on the programme when they could've devoted the time to someone trying to bring about real social justice change!

Rant over, will now go back to my slop.

• Heart
Reactions: 74
Others maintain that the name change and the jumping on the gender identity bandwagon is inseparable from the rest of it, and quite illuminating. What I find is that if those who are adherents of gender identity political beliefs can on the one hand advocate that people’s identities can not be questioned - that people are who they say they are - then when a grifter inadvertantly highlights the unintended consequences of that position, it’s reasonable to scrutinise both Jack’s motives and the context in which a political movement makes it taboo to question a claim someone makes about their identity.
Jesse and Katie are GC (to some extent) and that’s a lens they’re always going to view this through. For some of us, it’s crucial to recognise that a movement that claims that questioning unfalsifiable statements is taboo will *always* provide a safe space for grifters
I'm not saying it shouldn't have been brought up altogether; I'm not GC at all and even I recognise that her gender identity is something that can potentially be examined within the wider context of her identity bingo tactics/using marginalised groups as shields to deflect scrutiny. It's more the placement of it; filling the ten minutes of your content that anyone can access without paying with talk about her claimed transness/saying why you don't think the term deadnaming applies to her, when she's known to bat away any criticism with cries of transphobia, possibly wasn't the best decision they could have made.

• Heart
Reactions: 58
Any idea when her “eating disorder” started? I’ve had one since I was a child. So I’m not saying no one who does coke has one but it does stop you getting hungry. I only know one person who still has an appetite on it (she can eat on any drug).
The severest of severe anorexia was apparently from when she was 8 or 9. Can’t be arsed to look through the archive but the tweet still shows on Google.

93B06E9C-CA0D-43F2-8872-94125542EE07.jpeg

Also, I understand that people with anorexia aren’t always very underweight, but we have seen pics of her as a teenager and she’s a very normal, healthy weight. No indication of anorexia. She only pulled this one out because people were complaining that her menu would leave people starving and ill.

• Sad
Reactions: 47
She very often looks really pretty, but nevertheless she strongly reminds me of various ages of Steve Buscemi in a lot of her pictures. I've included a photo of him as a youth here because #bekind

View attachment 1613692
She went through a phase of fancying him earlier this year. We concluded it was because he looks like her. So basically she fancies herself, like Buffalo Bill. She also said during some interview that she would eat herself 🤢

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 58
Incidentally, my mum was a HUGE Delia Smith fan and I remember her cooking from 2 books when I was younger; Frugal Cooking and How to Cheat at Cooking. And the food was tasty, she even made a cake from frozen mash that was amazing. Jack certainly wasn't the first to do budget Cooking, it's been done better before.

Also, there's a great book out called The Ice Kitchen, which is all about batch Cooking and freezing. I know a lot of people don't have access to a freezer, but I totally recommend it for those who do cook for 1-2 people (or more). It has some really great recipes in that are completely affordable and not at all slop like!

Reactions: 45
I think the problem is that people have been doing all this tit and Jack's 'check your cupboard' bullshit for years. There is nothing left that people can do to save money. There's nothing more to cut. People like Jack guve the impression that it's doable to live on £20 a week and it really isn't. Which is why we don't need self obsessed, narcissistic, middle class that's telling people what's bloody obvious, but actual proper campaigners who will campaign for wages changes etc.

I know this has all been said before but what a waste of time getting Jack on the programme when they could've devoted the time to someone trying to bring about real social justice change!

Rant over, will now go back to my slop.
I think this is one reason why the j1g is up for Jack. People on low incomes have heard this tit a million times. They’re already buying the cheap cuts of meat, slow cooking, meal planning, shopping in charity shops etc. I have not seen a single article in the last few months with a money saving tip that hasn’t been shared a million times before.

• Heart
Reactions: 67
I'm not saying it shouldn't have been brought up altogether; I'm not GC at all and even I recognise that her gender identity is something that can potentially be examined within the wider context of her identity bingo tactics/using marginalised groups as shields to deflect scrutiny. It's more the placement of it; filling the ten minutes of your content that anyone can access without paying with talk about her claimed transness/saying why you don't think the term deadnaming applies to her, when she's known to bat away any criticism with cries of transphobia, possibly wasn't the best decision they could have made.
still disagree - because for Jesse/Katie, the GC aspect is key. I sympathise with that position - for me, it’s not incidental, and ultimately the individual grifters like JM matter less than the political context in which they can thrive.
She can attempt to bat away accusations all she likes - those who have recognised that you’ll get accused of transphobia for even failing to keep up with the accelerating demands of the trans rights movement are over it, I don’t think anyone feels any need to hand hold people through ”please don’t accuse me of transphobia, i’m totally not transphobic!” - engage Jack’s claims head on and they dissipate.

• Heart
Reactions: 35
She went through a phase of fancying him earlier this year. We concluded it was because he looks like her. So basically she fancies herself, like Buffalo Bill. She also said during some interview that she would eat herself 🤢
Like Buffalo Bill 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 18
The severest of severe anorexia was apparently from when she was 8 or 9. Can’t be arsed to look through the archive but the tweet still shows on Google.

View attachment 1613727
Also, I understand that people with anorexia aren’t always very underweight, but we have seen pics of her as a teenager and she’s a very normal, healthy weight. No indication of anorexia. She only pulled this one out because people were complaining that her menu would leave people starving and ill.
I definitely think it’s just coke then. She’s an absolute twit. She needs to duck off and get herself a sinus lift (a procedure you can have done when you’ve absolutely fucked your sinuses with coke).

i was very underweight from my eating disorder and half a bmi point away from my doctor being allowed to section me and have me tube fed. (before I ever took any kind of drug). Although my eating habits if I take coke mimic That of my eating disorder, when you come down, you do eat a lot. I have woken up from a coke session and immediately cooked and ate massive plates of spaghetti bolognaise, and eaten big meals every two hours until I feel better. That’s why she doesn’t lose weight like someone with an actual eating disorder.

I bet she was a fussy eater as a kid and has tied that in - so was I, my mother used to ring her health visitor crying because she believed I would starve to death. That’s not an eating disorder diagnosis and only the most extreme kids are properly diagnosed with anorexia. there’d be evidence.

ETA when I referred to myself as having one since being a kid I mean teens. Just to clarify.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 60
I said that a few threads ago! Great minds and all that.
I'm still queasy at the thought of stewing steak and tinned mandarins :sick: I could sit down for a week trying to think of the most revolting concoction possible (which is how Jack plans her recipes) and still never come up with that.
I might have to do a @Geetbo with the three tin tender.
Please don't waste your food on a J recipe. You can make something quite nice however, with fresh stewing steak, simmered in a generous mugful of oj from a carton + (diluted) tomato puree, with black pepper and poupon mustard . Goes with buttered coriander rice.

• Heart
Reactions: 29
It looks like there might be a "false narrative push" coming from some "bot" accounts on Twitter, that are all linking to the recent video that references the 2015 issues.

For anyone that doesn't know how this works, there are websites where you can buy posts, followers, likes retweets etc, and these are the type of accounts will be used to fulfil those requirements.

It wouldn't surprise me if this is nothing more that a very poor attempt at "reputational management".

Ugh. Yeah, that's definitely an attempt at reputation management - but a seriously bargain basement one.

Jack, you're wasting your money - this isn't going to work!

• Haha
Reactions: 37
i used to live around the corner from its old location, the guy running it seems well meaning but dim, basically imagine any thirsty leftie man ontwitter and that’s him. I suspect he signs up to blocklists and the like
I don’t think he’s dim and I absolutely don’t think he’s ‘thirsty’. He talks happily about his partner & kids and he’s nothing like the actually thirsty, neck-beardy centre/left types on Twitter.

I detect from recent tweets that he’s upset by the furore over Jack. He seems to think she’s a good egg, and whilst I think he’s severely misguided about that, I care more that he will be gutted as it gathers steam. I think he genuinely does good and thinks others are like-minded. I also met him (once) when he had the physical store.

I’ll add for new Fraus that I’ve said several times before that I’d signed up to BGS Patreon, so of course I’m biased.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 46
still disagree - because for Jesse/Katie, the GC aspect is key. I sympathise with that position - for me, it’s not incidental, and ultimately the individual grifters like JM matter less than the political context in which they can thrive.
She can attempt to bat away accusations all she likes - those who have recognised that you’ll get accused of transphobia for even failing to keep up with the accelerating demands of the trans rights movement are over it, I don’t think anyone feels any need to hand hold people through ”please don’t accuse me of transphobia, i’m totally not transphobic!” - engage Jack’s claims head on and they dissipate.
I think this is starting to veer away from Jack and into gender thread territory, so I'll respectfully bow out.

• Heart
Reactions: 37
I don’t think he’s dim and I absolutely don’t think he’s ‘thirsty’. He talks happily about his partner & kids and he’s nothing like the actually thirsty, neck-beardy centre/left types on Twitter.

I detect from recent tweets that he’s upset by the furore over Jack. He seems to think she’s a good egg, and whilst I think he’s severely misguided about that, I care more that he will be gutted as it gathers steam. I think he genuinely does good and thinks others are like-minded. I also met him (once) when he had the physical store.

I’ll add for new Fraus that I’ve said several times before that I’d signed up to BGS Patreon, so of course I’m biased.
fair enough, maybe he’s more in good faith than those I’ve associated with him since I’ve seen his Twitter presence, happy to walk that back and concede that his defence of Jack could well be because of thinking the best about her

• Heart
Reactions: 19
fair enough, maybe he’s more in good faith than those I’ve associated with him since I’ve seen his Twitter presence, happy to walk that back and concede that his defence of Jack could well be because of thinking the best about her
That’s a very gracious response, thank you so much. Now duck off x

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 39
I think this is starting to veer away from Jack and into gender thread territory, so I'll respectfully bow out.
OK, though you did start by critiquing the podcast’s GC presenters for their choice to focus on a GC lens - that’s obviously going to result in those who share that lens clarifying whywe think it’s a useful, important and valid viewpoint, regardless of how Jack attempts to bat it away. But yep, happy to leave it there

• Heart
Reactions: 25
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.