Jack Monroe #407 I lost hours yesterday learning about a Jack Monroe

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
There’s a perfect storm of chaos brewing. Between the podcast and Twitter backlash, plus the public getting incredibly sick of the usual budget cooking and thrifty tips being regurgitated over and over when we’ve already had years of cutbacks, I can’t see Jack’s career coming out of this intact.

• Heart
Reactions: 53
Oh what a glorious morning. The sun is shining and I have a day of work ahead. I am just popping in to say this is quite the turn up for the books. I am also very conscious my FOI has yet to appear on the ONS website - not sure why it’s taking so long but I wondered if I should post the whole email (minus my name obviously) just to clear up any concerns that I made it all up? I noted a couple of dissenters on twitter a while back who would not believe it was true because it wasn’t on the ONS site. Anyway as you were, I’m a subscriber to B&R but have to save it for lunch. Also superb inventory skills on the contents of Jack’s hoard. Those spoons take me back to being pregnant (metallic ick), I can smell them from here. 🤢
I’ve looked a few times and it seems to me that not all FOIs are put on the ONS website, as a few reference numbers are missing. My guess is that they might not publish those that name an individual and they do publish those that are useful for public policy & research.

• Heart
Reactions: 40
Will this be available outside a paywall in a week or so? Suspect that’ll be when it’s most impactful. It’ll be an interesting two months for the Patreon updates though!

Reactions: 26
There’s a perfect storm of chaos brewing. Between the podcast and Twitter backlash, plus the public getting incredibly sick of the usual budget cooking and thrifty tips being regurgitated over and over when we’ve already had years of cutbacks, I can’t see Jack’s career coming out of this intact.
Her whole career was based on a house of cards anyway. I think the only way she can come out of this is by rebranding, somehow. But I'm just not sure how she could do that without acknowledging any of the criticisms.

• Heart
Reactions: 44
Her whole career was based on a house of cards anyway. I think the only way she can come out of this is by rebranding, somehow. But I'm just not sure how she could do that without acknowledging any of the criticisms.
A redemption arc would be interesting to observe. But that would involve listening to reason on the smol pixie's behalf and that's about as likely as her taking a course in basic cooking skills.

• Haha
Reactions: 32
Still listening to BARPOD. Nothing that would be new to us so far but it's a full potted history. She's fucked.

It's everything from Hunger Hurts 1, through to the Hopkins trial, Kickstarter, the health issues, Teemill, Patreon, all the collabs, Hunger Hurts 2.

Just mentioned Molly!

Jesse: "This is like a mega grift."

They asked to speak to Jack! She did not respond!

Now running through the 100 hour work week, contradictory tweets. Celebrity squad! FOI request to police. Katie Herzog has contacted Essex Police and awaiting a response. Now talking about Joshua Bonehill and clarifying he wasn't jailed for harassing her.

TATTLE HAS BEEN MENTIONED! THEY MENTION OUR BEAUTIFUL RECEIPTS!

THREAD 31!

Vimes Boots Index- ONS "Jack had nothing to do with this"

Tweeting terrible advice re fuel bills.

Threats to sue, transphobia right wingers. All debunked.

Katie Roche blogpost now being mentioned.

Homeless claims "living rough"/ never been homeless.

DIVA magazine debacle.

Claims of poverty but probably in top 10% of booksellers. "she's either lying or really bleeping bad with money"

Lesbian who currently dates men.

Claims to be able feed family on £20 "irresponsible and galling".

They've been talking to a frau.

Here's the links included in the email

UPDATE: During this episode’s production, Monroe deleted her Twitter and few of her Tweets have been archived. Our apologies.

A Recipe For Jack Monroe

You will need:

• 25 oz. of alcoholism
  • COVID-19 (severe)
  • A whole autism (self-diagnosed)
  • Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome (if available)
  • 3 (or more) concussions
  • 1 grandparent who immigrated (from Wales)
  • Note: Add 5 tabs of testosterone for a Jacked Monroe instead.
This story, if cooked up convincingly, should get you hired by the BBC, Netflix, Hellmann’s, and Del Monte, shortly before making you an influential economist.

Just try not to look too closely at what’s inside.

View attachment 1612660 Monroe’s viral blogpost describing her poverty

https://web.archive.org/web/20130201235747/http:/agirlcalledjack.com/2012/07/30/hunger-hurts/

The Daily Mirror’s article describing Monroe eating on just £10 a week

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/young-mum-turns-off-heating-so-she-can-1502710

View attachment 1612661 Monroe announces she has received her dream job at a local newspaper

https://web.archive.org/web/20130301120239/http://agirlcalledjack.com/2013/02/25/ive-got-a-brand-new-job-and-im-so-excited-i-could-squeak/

Monroe, non-binary, now goes by “them” (but will grant you an s-word pass)

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/the-transformation-of-jack-monroe-tglnc393nw5

Jack Monroe v Katie Hopkins [2017]

https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/monroe-v-hopkins-2017-ewhc-433-qb-20170329-rev-1.pdf

Ten years after her viral blogpost, Monroe is still poor. I think?

https://cookingonabootstrap.com/2022/07/31/the-curse-of-the-poverty-hangover-ten-years-on/

Awfully Molly’s blogpost outlining the case against Jack Monroe

https://medium.com/@AwfullyMolly/jack-monroe-saint-or-scammer-80ec92f37bb6

View attachment 1612662 Monroe leans into her identity as a working-class “third-generation immigrant”

https://web.archive.org/web/20220528175937/

Jack Monroe: An Investigation

https://katieroche.net/jack_monroe_investigation_main.html

EDINBURGH, SCOTLAND - AUGUST 25: British food writer, journalist and activist Jack Monroe attends the Edinburgh International Book Festival at Edinburgh College of Art on August 25, 2022 in Edinburgh, Scotland. (Photo by Simone Padovani/Getty Images)

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 41
Has there been an in-depth study of Alcoholism Recovery Jack?

I read about the local shop contradictory stories, but there's more than that.

BTW, my name is Benign Narcissist and I'm an alcoholic, and regularly attended meetings and events for a number of years.

I have never seen, or heard of, an AA group in the UK give out the "sobriety chips" marking the length of time sober (though I have seen it in other 'anonymous groups' - Cocaine Anonymous, for example).

She might have a home group that does do it, but why would she accept multiple chips to mark the same length of sober time?

Any South of England friends of Bill W able to confirm if sobriety chips are given out?

Standard advice to new arrivals at AA is attend 90 meetings in 90 days, and don't drink in between. Anonymity is discussed, and I'm pretty sure someone with a high profile is advised that using said profile to announce early recovery risks damaging AA reputation, and putting others off trying it, in the event of a relapse.

If Jack does have a sponsor (AA veteran to do the 12 Step programme with), then they will be aghast at her social media antics.

Jack announced to the world her alcoholism with a Guardian article a week into 'sobriety' - everyone is different, but I don't know any AA members who made membership public within the first few months rather than days, except one guy who announced it on his Facebook page when he acted like a drunken fool at a work event and tried to worm out of getting sacked.

Jack may well have gone to AA. She may believe she is addicted to alcohol. She might even be. I can't know. But what I do know is that her exposing the organisation to association with her, particularly so early on, would likely cause immense discomfort to those who do "service" (volunteer to host and run the meetings). This is read out at the start of every meeting:

A.A. PREAMBLE
A.A. is not allied with any sect, denomination, politics, organization or institution; does not wish to engage in any controversy; neither endorses nor opposes any causes. Our primary purpose is to stay sober and help other alcoholics achieve sobriety.

Nobody would ever be asked to leave an AA meeting unless something really awful like violence resulted. But AA meetings will have people desperately in need of help arriving, and, if Jack does attend, find there is a social media personality with serious boundary issues there.

If Jack is in AA, she acted out of accordance with the spirit of anonymity the organisation has carefully cultivated over decades.

Many famous people have spoken of their membership - but usually after many years sobriety, and often significant service. Jack showed up and wrote a Guardian article about it.

It's all very weird and suspicious.
Also an alcoholic here. Jack’s article for The Guardian really ticked me off. Even on its face, it wasn’t appropriate to be written. There are quite a chip meetings here in London so perhaps it is a regional thing, but I don’t think taking two chips or attending two different meetings for the purpose of getting two chips so you can give one to your child, or whatever Jack says she did, is really the done thing. You can buy the individual chips (not the fancy ones) yourself online anyway very cheaply if you really want multiples.

It could just be how Jack expresses herself that makes everything sound questionable but as you say, in the AA stuff, she doesn’t really act like anyone at AA, and that includes the much more famous people who go. I don’t see them tweeting about it and writing Guardian articles but just getting on with it.

• Heart
Reactions: 61
I'm off today, I'm supposed to be going to a PTA meeting 🔺 but I can't possibly. How many people does it take to organise a Halloween disco for the under 10s anyway? I'm sure they'll be fine without me.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 70
Has the podcast got any mention on Twitter?
My phone is awful for screnshots and no time for squigging so have c&p some of it here, each space between signifies a new commenter below!

Looks like Blocked and Reported have done an expose on Jack Monroe.

2:07 AM · Sep 29, 2022

·

Link?

BUT IT'S FOR PATREONS ONLY 😭

What you mean ppl pay AND receive content? They obviously aren’t doing it right are they? They could get paid and do no work, like the subject of their latest podcast🤭🤭🤭

It's pretty damning hearing it all laid out like that.

Do you think she got wind and that’s the real reason she left?

They asked for comment. But probs so did whoever is doing the Patron article. And she would have seen the metrics we all did, that blue ticks and stans has switched sides. Even Pride and Diva couldn't save her. Only one way out now.

• Heart
  • Haha
She needs to stop with the 'prestige' gigs she only turns up for - meeting Jay Rayner, flying to Dublin for an interview, awards ceremonies, dinners with Google bosses - whilst pretending that it is activism and campaigning.
She needs to show the hidden stuff she does. If there actually is hidden stuff she does 🙄 The foodbank work, the working with prisoners etc. If it exists.
I can only think her career might be salvaged by getting back to grassroots.
And addressing patreon obviously.

Reactions: 58
Yes, I was just listening and thought the same. Also I didn't like the piss taking about British food. I'm in a grump today so I'm sure that's just my mood talking. The Jack stuff is fascinating to hear out loud though. It's like she's been hiding in plain sight.
It's not perfect but they've done the work unlike the incompetent media here. I'm looking at you especially Guardian. And what possessed BBC Scotland to be having her on this morning.

• Heart
Reactions: 50
Has the podcast got any mention on Twitter?
Did a post showing the podcast mentions but it was deleted, think my c&p isn't working but phone is generally rubbish. Suffice it say, the podcast has not gone unnoticed in the haunted birdscape .
Does anyone know how much it is to subscribe to the podcast?
Tbf, reading here sounds like nothing we don't already know, just would be a great listen!

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Late to the party this morning, somethings happened I take it ?
Would some kind Frau mind paraphrasing as I'm short on time and long on curiosity 🤔
Ta awfully

Reactions: 14
Has there been an in-depth study of Alcoholism Recovery Jack?

I read about the local shop contradictory stories, but there's more than that.

BTW, my name is Benign Narcissist and I'm an alcoholic, and regularly attended meetings and events for a number of years.

I have never seen, or heard of, an AA group in the UK give out the "sobriety chips" marking the length of time sober (though I have seen it in other 'anonymous groups' - Cocaine Anonymous, for example).

She might have a home group that does do it, but why would she accept multiple chips to mark the same length of sober time?

Any South of England friends of Bill W able to confirm if sobriety chips are given out?

Standard advice to new arrivals at AA is attend 90 meetings in 90 days, and don't drink in between. Anonymity is discussed, and I'm pretty sure someone with a high profile is advised that using said profile to announce early recovery risks damaging AA reputation, and putting others off trying it, in the event of a relapse.

If Jack does have a sponsor (AA veteran to do the 12 Step programme with), then they will be aghast at her social media antics.

Jack announced to the world her alcoholism with a Guardian article a week into 'sobriety' - everyone is different, but I don't know any AA members who made membership public within the first few months rather than days, except one guy who announced it on his Facebook page when he acted like a drunken fool at a work event and tried to worm out of getting sacked.

Jack may well have gone to AA. She may believe she is addicted to alcohol. She might even be. I can't know. But what I do know is that her exposing the organisation to association with her, particularly so early on, would likely cause immense discomfort to those who do "service" (volunteer to host and run the meetings). This is read out at the start of every meeting:

A.A. PREAMBLE
A.A. is not allied with any sect, denomination, politics, organization or institution; does not wish to engage in any controversy; neither endorses nor opposes any causes. Our primary purpose is to stay sober and help other alcoholics achieve sobriety.

Nobody would ever be asked to leave an AA meeting unless something really awful like violence resulted. But AA meetings will have people desperately in need of help arriving, and, if Jack does attend, find there is a social media personality with serious boundary issues there.

If Jack is in AA, she acted out of accordance with the spirit of anonymity the organisation has carefully cultivated over decades.

Many famous people have spoken of their membership - but usually after many years sobriety, and often significant service. Jack showed up and wrote a Guardian article about it.

It's all very weird and suspicious.
Another AA frau. I also tire of the AA nonsense.

In South London where I got sober I got a one day chip, a 30 day one and a one year one. These were ordered by the literature secretary and given by the group. Multiple years could be ordered by the person requiring it if they wanted one, but no one really bothered.
I'm now up north somewhere and they don't seem to be a thing here. It's possible Jack goes to a group which takes them seriously, but there really isn't any need to show them online.

• Heart
Re: Radio Scotland. I had the misfortune of hearing a couple of prerecorded clips of the nasal chuntering, but apparently she's on after 10. And I'm now at my desk and attempting to behave professionally.

• Haha
Reactions: 38
How many staircases does an average bungalow have in Southend? It seems everything i thought i knew about bungalows (they don't have stairs) is wrong. Maybe it's a Northern thing. I bet bungalows in Cornwall are on 4 floors.
😵🤦‍♀️[]🤼‍♀️🏡🏢‼🔄🔚📢🚩⚡😡

DO NOT GET ME STARTED ON SODDING BUNGALOWS WITH SODDING

😵🤦‍♀️[]🤼‍♀️🏡🏢‼🔄🔚📢🚩⚡😡

• Haha
Reactions: 35
Did a post showing the podcast mentions but it was deleted, think my c&p isn't working but phone is generally rubbish. Suffice it say, the podcast has not gone unnoticed in the haunted birdscape .
Does anyone know how much it is to subscribe to the podcast?
Tbf, reading here sounds like nothing we don't already know, just would be a great listen!
It's five dollars for the month. No one who has been on Tattle for any length of time will learn anything new but it is quite something hearing it all laid out.

• Heart
Reactions: 37
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.