Jack Monroe #402 Which police squad will be tasked to investigate Jack being signed up to a mailing list?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
FRAU I FOUND IT.

So the front cover, I recognised that hair from somewhere.
View attachment 1599009View attachment 1599010

As I'd thought, this image was used to promote the NHS (but not NHS) talk she did earlier this month. It's a different photo but I wonder if it's from the same shoot. I bet it's her author photo. We were puzzled at the time because we didn't know where I came from.

Not exactly enthralling but it was bugging me.
Looks like a bad wig she's wearing...

Reactions: 20
There's a Facebook page called Take a Shite which shares really crappy tips from magazines

Hey, don't knock the lard-on-holiday tip. A friend of mine lived in Nigeria for 2 years and never ran out of Irish meat because every time he got a visitor we'd bring him hundreds of euros worth of raw steaks, racks of lamb etc in our luggage. The hold of the plane kept it cold and then he'd put it in his massive freezer.

(That may actually be something for the Venomous Brandy Index. The povs can't afford to drop a few hundred on meat all at once.)

Reactions: 17
I bloody loved those books. Silky, Moonface, cousin Fanny (not Jacks)
Grifty Kitchen has been moved up from March!! Lots of Jan cookbooks aim for the new year resolution market. Guess they’re hoping lots of people are resolving to have the shits for 2023.
Jack could be the Angry Pixie…😂

• Haha
Reactions: 10
The Nigel Slater quote is also on the Amazon page for Cooking on a Bootstrap.

I had noticed before that the Nigella quote praises Jack as a person, not the recipes in the book it is given as an endorsement for. The quote from Nigel Slater also stops short of praising Jack's food or any particular recipes - and just as well as this quote has now been attached to three books.

So that leaves Jay Rayner. I take it he has seen the recipes in Thrifty Kitchen as his quote is specific.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 39

I had noticed before that the Nigella quote praises Jack as a person, not the recipes in the book it is given as an endorsement for. The quote from Nigel Slater also stops short of praising Jack's food or any particular recipes - and just as well as this quote has now been attached to three books.

So that leaves Jay Rayner. I take it he has seen the recipes in Thrifty Kitchen as his quote is specific.
Astute. When it comes to cover blurbs, always read between the lines.

Reactions: 19
She's probably plagiarised all her tips from the Moneysavingexpert website and forums
I remember many Fraus took the time to share their own thrifty tips on the thread while Jack was hurridly composing the first draft of this book, so I wonder how many (uncredited) canal tips have made it into the book!

• Haha
Reactions: 29
  • Heart
Reactions: 27

Is that normal? To recycle quotes from people an infinite number of times? Surely the quotes only relate to the book these people looked at/read the first time? I find that very odd. And most disingenuous. Which is right on brand for JM I suppose.

Reactions: 37
Hmm...some speculation m'lud.

Three years of recipes disappeared from website so she could rehash them for this book rather than come up with anything original, or possibly because she had been copying them from elsewhere and someone copped it?

Stunt hair - very girly housewife vibe. For Harold's benefit do we think? 'Look at me, a demure little babymama MARRY ME IMPREGNATE ME I WILL HAVE LONG HAIRS'

Also she can duck off with accusing JO re cheesy chips, she was the one who said poor people sit around eating burgers!!! Histrionic witch. We always ate well, if slightly boring (my mum being from the meat and two veg culinary school)

• Haha
Reactions: 60
I can't believe they ever considered that depressipes is an appropriate word to use in the marketing blurb
I get the gist but as someone who experiences low lows, it doesn't conjure up a very nice picture.
She probably thought she was James Joyce for 'inventing' a new word. There are plenty of words in the English language that I could combine to coin some new, ridiculous term, but then the language is probably much better off without their existence. Even the word 'depressipes' makes me feel worse about myself, and I say that as a Frau who is no stranger to a visit from the black dog. If I am in a bit of a tricky mental health situation, and I can only speak for myself, I want to find comfort. Often, reading or listening to a reassuring voice and finding the resolve to take care of myself (and believing that I am a person 'worth' taking care of) becomes some kind of priority. Not 'have some slop on yer plate, you old depresso!' Most unhelpful.

• Heart
Reactions: 34
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.