Jack Monroe #402 Which police squad will be tasked to investigate Jack being signed up to a mailing list?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
What campaigning work has she done this year?
  • Fibbed about getting the ONS to change prices
  • Fibbed about the ASDA smartprice range
  • Got dumped by Superdrug
  • Went on holiday a few times
  • Got a dog
  • Forgot to take her son on holiday
  • Told a load of fibs at a talk in Edinburgh (and possibly in Bristol)
  • Cosied up to random unnamed people at a google event
Where’s the campaigning?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 68
Who does she know at Pink News then? *Sigh*

A bleeping award?! What for? Co-opting every identity going and profiting off the backs of folk in genuine need?
These threads have really opened my eyes into how publications like The Guardian, Diva and Pink News are nothing but their own version of the old boys network. Same old names and faces constantly recycled with more regard given to keeping things within the network than actual quality of output.

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 77
BRB just going to do a FOI request to Jay Rayner to clarify exactly what was enticing about the recipes in the book.
I feel like I've seen the Nigela quote before. Like quite some years ago. So who knows when Rayner and others have said something positive about jack's work. Could even be from the Allegra days.

I am not a publishing Frau, but I always feel they can be quite creative with using quotes and blurbs.

(As for the front, I hope it's a placeholder for something better)

Reactions: 32
Also, every photo I've ever seen of JM... she's got this cold, dead eyed look. Doesn't matter what facial expression she's pulling. Her eyes, man...it's like she's fixed on something. Your wallet? Your soul? Your identity? All three? Can't quite put my finger on it.
Contrepreneur's Eye. Look at any of the exposed online scammers and they all have that same cold, dead eye thing going on, even if smiling.

Reactions: 19
I feel like I've seen the Nigela quote before. Like quite some years ago. So who knows when Rayner and others have said something positive about jack's work. Could even be from the Allegra days.

I am not a publishing Frau, but I always feel they can be quite creative with using quotes and blurbs.

(As for the front, I hope it's a placeholder for something better)
You have seen it before, it on Amazon at the moment as part of the blurb promoting Good Food for Bad Days

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 39
So Jack Monroe is selling a book that costs the same as what she reckons poor people should be able to survive on per week on food.

Jack, if you are reading this, and I know you are...

Are you suggesting that in order to get access to 120 recipes supposedly aimed at the very people who can't afford to spend a lot on food, you want them to starve for a week? Genius marketing strategy.

Ka-bleeping-ching.
Careful, this sounds very much like a pitch for ‘Paypal me £20 and I’ll pass a copy on for you…’

• Haha
  • Angry
Reactions: 16
If I remember rightly, these are not even HER hints and tips. Didn’t she ask her tweeps to send her their ideas?

Nancy Birtwhistle of Bake Off fame has been sharing green and frugal household hints on Instagram for ages such as ivy leaves and conkers for washing clothes. She also has written a couple of books on the subject. I bet there’ll be some, let’s say, similarities…
Thanks for the tip on Nancy Birtwhistle, she's amazing! Her "cheats almond tarts" video has Common People as the soundtrack, I wonder if she's a Frau? 😅

• Haha
Reactions: 24
There's a Facebook page called Take a Shite which shares really crappy tips from magazines

FB_IMG_1663917282911.jpg
FB_IMG_1663917295060.jpg
FB_IMG_1663917307203.jpg
FB_IMG_1663917380377.jpg

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 38
you've gotta love how no matter what the subject she's complaining about, she's already tried every single thing anyone could possibly advise her about. "hey Jack, that sounds awful, have you tried...?" "I ALREADY DO THAT ON A REGULAR BASIS AND IT WON'T FIX ANYTHING!!!!!" well not with that attitude, sunshine!
Yes, but to try that with followers who work in tech is going to get iffy. If you’re saying you’ve got strong passwords, a password manager and 2 factor authentication and still getting compromised, there’s a lot of people who are going to get cynical. Of course you can probably expect a back pedal once Jack reads this.

• Haha
Reactions: 27
🚨 ANEURYSM KLAXON 🚨
She has done duck all for LGBT rights.

I'm going to vote for Jayne Ozanne. I'm not a christian but she works really hard to try and end conversion therapy and get the church to change its stance.

• Heart
Reactions: 43
I was talking to my mum yesterday, she knows who JM is from TV but she's not fussed about social media) and I mentioned the hoop rinsing recipe. Firstly, she didn't believe me and secondly, when I showed her she couldn't stop laughing. Finished with "we were poor in the early 80's, when you were a baby. That's a bleeping waste of a tin of spaghetti that. No one in their right mind would do that".
My husband, who has very little idea of who Jack is, bought a tin of spaghetti hoops and threatened to rinse them and add a tin of tomatoes to make spaghetti in sauce.

They were from Aldi, so I don't know if it counts.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 23
What campaigning work has she done this year?
  • Fibbed about getting the ONS to change prices
  • Fibbed about the ASDA smartprice range
  • Got dumped by Superdrug
  • Went on holiday a few times
  • Got a dog
  • Forgot to take her son on holiday
  • Told a load of fibs at a talk in Edinburgh (and possibly in Bristol)
  • Cosied up to random unnamed people at a google event
Where’s the campaigning?
I would like more detail on what specific campaigning she thinks she’s involved in.
is it the energy crisis?
increase to minimum and living wage?
less DWP sanctions?
more money for DWP claimants?
more funds for the NHS?
greater availability of social housing?
removal of zero hour contracts or greater security for those on them?

It’s very easy to say something grand like “I’m a poverty campaigner” but if all you’re doing is making tit food with a can of sardines or putting shampoo in the washing machine, it doesn’t seem to correlate, does it?
All good and well if she is using her platform to signpost - but she doesn’t even do that.

• Heart
Reactions: 41
Maybe setting the price for the book just now at £20 means that closer to the launch date Amazon can drop it to £7-£8 and class it as a ‘bargain’ to help generate sales.

Much as I’m morbidly fascinated by what delights this book will contain, there’s no way I’m lining jacks pockets.

Reactions: 27
Remember when one of Jack's mates wrote a cookbook and she said "want me to write some blurb for the cover? '

Without having seen or read the book.

They must all do that

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 44
Maybe setting the price for the book just now at £20 means that closer to the launch date Amazon can drop it to £7-£8 and class it as a ‘bargain’ to help generate sales.

Much as I’m morbidly fascinated by what delights this book will contain, there’s no way I’m lining jacks pockets.
One of Jack's books was priced this way in the supermarket. Reader I bought it. Come the time for Veganish to be published, I checked in several supermarkets, they did not carry it. I finally found it in Waterstones (one copy in stock) and had a gander there.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Like even if you buy the ONS lie about Jack changing how they measure inflation, how does that help anyone experiencing poverty?

What tangible difference does that make to the life of anyone who doesn't have much?

• Heart
Reactions: 40

She’s one of the most borrowed authors across all libraries so get in there quick and see if you can reserve a copy in advance.
go well, pal x

• Haha
Reactions: 29
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.