Jack Monroe #402 Which police squad will be tasked to investigate Jack being signed up to a mailing list?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I thought it was recipes and household hacks totaling 120--so no guarantees about 120 recipes.
Trying to decide which would be worse - more sloptastic recipes, or more household "hacks" like boiling soap, shampoo in the washing machine, and solar lightbulbs
🤔

• Haha
Reactions: 20
I am sure that there will be some unlucky fuckers who will get an email (or similar) stating for Christmas I have bought you JMs latest book, it will be will you in early January

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 32
BiB: a very good friend of mine is head of publicity at a very large publishing firm. She’s always on the road with her authors, at BBC, ITV and all over the country for talks and appearances. Her authors are wide ranging - photography, actors, musicians, fiction and non fiction, and chefs.
wouldn’t even embarrass myself by asking about Jack, but what I can say is that i get occasional free books, signed by the authors - I have never known my friend to have access to as many free books as Jack. How come she always promises to give some away? That must be killing her publishers. I wonder if any of their other authors give away as much.
No. Publishers are notoriously stingy with copies. Even big publishers like Harper Collins. All of that kind of stuff, including book tours, are being slashed on this side of the Atlantic. Hell, there's noise in the publishing verse that even Steven King has to front the costs for book tours and get reimbursed. But free copies--you get a few. 15? 20? Not unlimited numbers that Jack seems to have. Of course there is a difference between author copies and remainders...

• Wow
Reactions: 33
you've gotta love how no matter what the subject she's complaining about, she's already tried every single thing anyone could possibly advise her about. "hey Jack, that sounds awful, have you tried...?" "I ALREADY DO THAT ON A REGULAR BASIS AND IT WON'T FIX ANYTHING!!!!!" well not with that attitude, sunshine!
De-lurking to nominate well not with that attitude, sunshine! for thread title

That is all, carry on ❤

• Haha
Reactions: 44
Putting my Russell’s together and praying 🙏🏼 that the tumble drier fluff in a loo roll tube firelighter hack makes it in, the version with plughole hair, as well as the table salt and old orange peel and herbs in a milk bottle “home spa” bath salts, just to see those insane, unhealthy and pointless “hacks” in print will make my 2023.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 37
No. Publishers are notoriously stingy with copies. Even big publishers like Harper Collins. All of that kind of stuff, including book tours, are being slashed on this side of the Atlantic. Hell, there's noise in the publishing verse that even Steven King has to front the costs for book tours and get reimbursed. But free copies--you get a few. 15? 20? Not unlimited numbers that Jack seems to have. Of course there is a difference between author copies and remainders...
Somewhat off topic - but all this talk of author’s copies of books reminded me that back in January, 2022 Julia Quinn (author of the Bridgerton novels) gathered up all of foreign language copies of her books she had at home and posted on FB that she would send them to any public library in the US who wanted them for their foreign language collections and was able to accession them.

Ms. Quinn covered all of the costs involved.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 31
🤬
Jack getting awards for campaigning is my aneurysm. She doesn't do any campaigning! She tweets incessantly, sure, but none of it is helpful.
Even if we take her "softly, quietly, behind the scenes" as truthful - that is not campaigning either! Campaigns are by definition public! The aim is to bring an issue to the public's attention and get people involved!

These people reward her for doing nothing and she'll use these awards to push back at people who dare to question her output.

Worse is that it takes recognition away from people who are actually doing something important. (Kyiv bleeping Pride!!!)
🤬

• Heart
Reactions: 48
She's going to be fizzing come the Hastings Catherine Cookson talk thing, she actually has the new book to plug now. Her feet wont just be up on the furniture, she'll be jumping on the chair like a loved up Tom Cruise.

I really am flabbergasted it exists still. We've had so many weird things happen this month, and now this. The actual book? Wow. September 2022, what a time to be alive.

• Haha
Reactions: 42
I was so disappointed with Tin Can Cook, I have low energy, sometimes functioning better than other. I use grocery delivery services but found myself wasting stuff. I started ordering more tinned goods to aleviate waste. I managed to enhance such goods and thought TCC would give me fresh ideas, how wrong could I be...

I am no culinary genius but I could turn a can of minced beef and onion into a Bolognese and a Chilli.

Take a can of minced beef and onions, put in a microwavable pot, I used a Systema noodle bowl. Add a couple of teaspoons of garlic puree, a teaspoon of oregano, a table spoon of tomato puree and a glug of red wine (optional). Stir well and microwave on full for 5 mins. Serve a third to a half on pasta for 1 serving. Chilli, take the leftovers of the Bolognese, add half to one tsp of cumin, half a tsp of chilli flakes and half a can of drained kidney beans, stir well, put in a microwaveable dish and cook on full heatbfor 5 mins. Great on a baked potato, rice and if you have them in your fridge, add jalapenos, cheese and sour cream. I repeat I am no culinary genius but Jack's incompetence is truly stunning

• Heart
Well, I'm disgusted by the Pink"News" nomination, and by every Jack sycophant, and by Jack themselves. In relation to Pink"News" it confirms my view that the lovey-fest is like a snake eating itself. There are none so blind as sycophants who will not see, and Jack revolts me. THIS is my aneurysm!!

• Heart
Reactions: 37
BRB just going to do a FOI request to Jay Rayner to clarify exactly what was enticing about the recipes in the book.

• Haha
Reactions: 78
Maybe it’s because I’m a chef but A HUGE eye roll at the…. wet bean and tomato thing on the cover of the new book. Doesn’t even look cooked out properly and will definitely taste raw and flat. Her “recipes” never have herbs or anything that would add a final burst of excitement or seasoning, because poor people couldn’t possibly want to spend a little extra on making their food something enjoyable. No, it must taste of misery and tins.

I am honestly the poorest I’ve ever been at the moment and still manage to cook myself and my partner tasty, seasoned, interesting food that is nutritious and satisfying. It takes a little thought and to use a cliche, some “love”. From one chef to another I can see she is SO lazy and obviously has zero respect for the people who buy her books. It’s infuriating.

• Heart
Reactions: 71
I'd like to think that they are aiming at the "bills coming in after Christmas so it's budget time" audience, but your explanation is probably closer to the truth.

One really big-selling category in January and February, building off New Year's resolutions, is get-fit books. Maybe this book is in January because part of the "home hacks" is her tips for getting in shape :D
I think they must be going for the new year, new diet crowd. We all know her recipes couldn’t keep a couch potato alive.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 20
I can’t, I can’t, believe that she is still viewed as a campaigner - when if you scratch 1mm under the surface of her bollocks it’s obvious she’s a lying, bigmouth, fraudster

• Heart
Reactions: 43
She lives very near a Lidl only a couple of minutes further than the Asda but has never used it. She said she won’t use the local shop run by an ethnic family anymore because she’s embarrassed by how much booze she bought there (it’s next door to a Tesco express which I’d assume is cheaper for booze but the Tesco express is never mentioned either).
I thought she did the late night yellow sticker run to Tesco?

Reactions: 8
*Catherine Cookson tangent*

Catherine Cookson's books were never my thing, but she was born into a real working-class household and was known for her philanthropy. The Catherine Cookson Charitable Trust did (and still does) a lot of good in the world. 🔺 I was born way too early and spent time in the unit she created for premature babies.🔺Mum said it was a wonderful place, but it closed years ago. I just think it's sad how something genuinely useful and practical like a hospital ward is shut down, and we're left with Jack Monroe spouting about her fake poverty experiences. Catherine Cookson deserved better!

Anyway, some of her donations are described here

1663908061469.png

• Heart
Which tshirt. The offensive one with missing apostrophe, the one with the essay on it, or one of the ones with stolen slogans?
The wordy macro philanthropy one where the text inexplicably changes colour halfway down it.

• Haha
Reactions: 17
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.