Jack Monroe #402 Which police squad will be tasked to investigate Jack being signed up to a mailing list?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Didn't Jack claim she fought her publisher to lower the price of a previous book to keep it accessible? What happened this time?
I'm sure she claimed it was part of the reason 'A Year in 120 Recipes' didn't do as well. Big, glossy hardback, higher price point. Makes you think...

Anyway, I'm waiting on the Recipe Tin book which comes out next month. Reasonably priced at $24, and I know Nagi's recipes work.

Reactions: 23
I can't remember which poster suggested jack created the chaos in order to gain sympathy votes for the off-off Broadway level publication's award, but i gree.
Her mentions have swung right back around to arse kissing and with her Glastonbury style reach it feels to me like she's once again stealing a space from people who actually deserve an award for their real work.
for whom winning the award could help to elevate them in their field whereas jack has already got shitloads of awards and has so much exposure.

I have not heard of most of the other nominees, although I understand I could be in the minority here.
I do believe she's clever enough to go quiet whilst on a massive deleting spree and come back with something to soften the hearts of those who were on the cusp of unfollowing her.
She always comes up smelling of roses (or reeking of the roses' dung fertiliser)

• Angry
Reactions: 35
Didn't Jack claim she fought her publisher to lower the price of a previous book to keep it accessible? What happened this time?
Here's what to do with your £20 budget. Skip eating for a week...but you have fish in the freezer still yeah? Buy my book. You might have to stop eating but don't try to STOP ME BREATHING

I can't remember which poster suggested jack created the chaos in order to gain sympathy votes for the off-off Broadway level publication's award, but i gree.
Her mentions have swung right back around to arse kissing and with her Glastonbury style reach it feels to me like she's once again stealing a space from people who actually deserve an award for their real work.
for whom winning the award could help to elevate them in their field whereas jack has already got shitloads of awards and has so much exposure.

I have not heard of most of the other nominees, although I understand I could be in the minority here.
I do believe she's clever enough to go quiet whilst on a massive deleting spree and come back with something to soften the hearts of those who were on the cusp of unfollowing her.
She always comes up smelling of roses (or reeking of the roses' dung fertiliser)
I reckon (have a bit of experience 🔺️) that the nominations are drawn well in advance of publicising. There may well be a last minute entry. I just think all these middle class clowns formally putting her forward are totally absorbed with her fake wc campaigner bollocks and they have no reason to not dig deeper.

Last edited:
Reactions: 24
These squigs are playing into her hands now. It's the same three or four zoomers who look a bit obsessed, regardless of how correct they might be. It can come off as looking targeted
I agree with this. From what I've seen it's a handful of the same people leaping on any mention of JM. It does make it easy for the FMs to label them as trolls even if what they are saying is what we're all thinking. It's entirely up to them though, I suppose.

Reactions: 28
Love that she's wearing her Tiffany earrings on the cover of her £20 budget cookbook

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 67
So Jack Monroe is selling a book that costs the same as what she reckons poor people should be able to survive on per week on food.

Jack, if you are reading this, and I know you are...

Are you suggesting that in order to get access to 120 recipes supposedly aimed at the very people who can't afford to spend a lot on food, you want them to starve for a week? Genius marketing strategy.

Ka-bleeping-ching.

• Haha
Reactions: 61
At a push you can absolutely use short grain rice instead of risotto rice, or vice versa, I make rice pudding with risotto rice all the time. BUt long grain? What? It'll be basmati next. Its the herbs for me. No, basil will taste different to coriander, thyme different to both and rosemary is quite the thing and flat leaf parsley is lovely but if you use sage instead you will duck up your dinner. No they are clearly not interchangeable. In what world are they interchangeable?
Not interchangeable but if you know the different varieties of rice, can explain how each cooks up, and can explain how to adjust the recipe if you only have one type, you'd be a help. And sometimes, you need to say that risotto is a specific Italian dish that uses a specific rice but we can make a savory dish that is lovely, just not risotto, with the rice you might have in your cupboard. But Jack can't do that. So that is where we are.

As a person who jumped THAT MAN'S tit for the jollof rice incident, I'm surprised that Jack isn't more sensitive about co-opting dishes that are one culture's icons, running them through the Western pantry, and turning them into something else entirely while still grasping at the name, cultural association. Croissanwich, I'm lookin at you. If anyone was being snobby, it was Jack who insisted on shanghai'ing the term risotto.

• Heart
Reactions: 27
So Jack Monroe is selling a book that costs the same as what she reckons poor people should be able to survive on per week on food.

Jack, if you are reading this, and I know you are...

Are you suggesting that in order to get access to 120 recipes supposedly aimed at the very people who can't afford to spend a lot on food, you want them to starve for a week? Genius marketing strategy.

Ka-bleeping-ching.
She can't even be arsed pretending any of it makes sense anymore. I'm tempted to take one for the team and buy a copy for mockery purposes but I think the threatened memoir has much more comedy potential and I SHAN'T buy both.

• Haha
Reactions: 30
She can't even be arsed pretending any of it makes sense anymore. I'm tempted to take one for the team and buy a copy for mockery purposes but I think the threatened memoir has much more comedy potential and I SHAN'T buy both.
I SHAN'T buy either.

Jenny, I'm really sorry to hear that you are dealing with so much health wise, but you do it with such grace and humour. Sending loveos xxx

• Heart
Reactions: 40
just zooming in on the grifty kitchen cover and, weren't butter beans mentioned here yesterday? and here they are front and centre in... whatever this is

we're like the oracle here!

View attachment 1598406

also, "home hacks" sounds kinda scary. it just makes me think of the time pierce brosnan was the voice of the simpsons' house and kept trying to kill homer
How smol is that fork?? Ridiculous

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Since I'm being quoted on twitter I'd like to clarify that this comment was referring to Pink News hiding tweets the same as DIVA, hence the screenshot being of hidden tweets and not all replies. Now be grateful for all the screenshots and archived content you guys are taking from here or I'll set the pumble on you 🤣

Mixed feelings on them playing into Jack's hands. I'm glad that people are questioning her publicly and she's well aware they'd stop if she answered the questions. She can't just ignore it all forever.

Screenshot 2022-09-23 011046.png

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 32
If anyone is thinking of taking one for the team and buying Jack's latest tome for sharing the lols, please don't. The full price sales will add to whether she is viable as an author.

Please hold back, they will be in the bargain bin soon enough, or on a 99p kindle deal. I got Tin Can Cook for 99p just before the That Man chaos, at least 98p too much!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 52
20 bleeping pound - not very thrifty

View attachment 1597798
So a 120 recipes/home hacks. For 20 lbs or $22.52. That is roughly $0.19 per recipe/hack. Not even a guaranteed 120 recipes. But hacks. Like unscrewing light bulbs? Boiling bars of soap to make shower gel? All for the (hypothetical and alleged) cost of a week's worth of groceries for 1 adult, 0.3 of an active teenager, and 0.7 of a hard workin' laborer. Did I get the percentages mixed up? Oh and a dog and a cat. Seems like a lot for a lousy book. I can find actual finds at Goodwill for $0.50. That's only 2.6 recipes/hacks worth. I'd be 117.4 hacks/recipes ahead by not buying the book.

Interesting how the persecution hit a fever pitch once this was available for pre-order. Really makes you think.

• Haha
Reactions: 26
She did in that Samsung ad from years ago, she went to a greengrocers stall and sniffed things.

Hope they made her purchase all the fruits she molested with her grubby hands.

Overseas frau here, so not exposed to all of Jack's various "projects", but Samsung? WTF? I guess Jack only gets up in arms about poors being exploited in sweatshop factory jobs if those poors are UK poors :mad:

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 37
So a 120 recipes/home hacks. For 20 lbs or $22.52. That is roughly $0.19 per recipe/hack. Not even a guaranteed 120 recipes. But hacks. Like unscrewing light bulbs? Boiling bars of soap to make shower gel? All for the (hypothetical and alleged) cost of a week's worth of groceries for 1 adult, 0.3 of an active teenager, and 0.7 of a hard workin' laborer. Did I get the percentages mixed up? Oh and a dog and a cat. Seems like a lot for a lousy book. I can find actual finds at Goodwill for $0.50. That's only 2.6 recipes/hacks worth. I'd be 117.4 hacks/recipes ahead by not buying the book.

Interesting how the persecution hit a fever pitch once this was available for pre-order. Really makes you think.
One could say that was a very clever ploy to get people to order the book, I think...

Reactions: 17
A January release says it all. This book wouldn't stand up to the competition if it was released later in the year.
Yep. Odd how it misses the Christmas rush. As if MacMillan knows that no one would want to find a copy under the tree.

• Haha
Reactions: 21
Yep. Odd how it misses the Christmas rush. As if MacMillan knows that no one would want to find a copy under the tree.
I'd like to think that they are aiming at the "bills coming in after Christmas so it's budget time" audience, but your explanation is probably closer to the truth.

One really big-selling category in January and February, building off New Year's resolutions, is get-fit books. Maybe this book is in January because part of the "home hacks" is her tips for getting in shape :D

Reactions: 12
Ooh Jamie's is on at £13 amz! I feel early Xmas shop occurring...
On the US amzone, the Ottolenghi Test Kitchen--Extra Good Things, build a home pantry is available for only a few pennies more than the Grifty Thrifter. Despite being gourmet, a lot of the recipes are based on pretty common and not terribly expensive vegetarian foodstuffs. Like chickpeas. Then do what I do, fantasize about the one or two recipes that are too expensive or time-consuming, or out of reach and then make the rest. Go to your local greengrocer or local Asian grocer or local Middle Eastern grocer or local Indian grocer for reasonable prices on all of the ingredients. Seems like a way better deal than Gritty Thrifting. And there are nice pics. :)

I'd like to think that they are aiming at the "bills coming in after Christmas so it's budget time" audience, but your explanation is probably closer to the truth.

One really big-selling category in January and February, building off New Year's resolutions, is get-fit books. Maybe this book is in January because part of the "home hacks" is her tips for getting in shape :D
I think it's also aimed at the Christmas gift card crowd. £20 in pretend Amazon cash under the tree, and guess what costs exactly that. Really makes you think.

• Sick
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.