Jack Monroe #401 Is there a ‘blocked by DIVA magazine’ club?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
,Jack definitely conflated sales with profit (nice maths, hope the interview goes well). No way did she make £2,000 profit in a matter of hours.

1663780137768.png

Not sure how much (if anything) this website is making.

• Haha
Reactions: 34
Yeah. They seem to have enough funds and I think their judgement has been questionable over Jack- though I am sympathetic to them essentially being between a rock and a hard place. You see a lot of small local charities get overlooked because they don't have the resources to market themselves and I'd rather target any donations there.
Reading the link that was posted earlier, 6 of their staff earn over £60k and they had a £40m surplus. When asked what they were going to do with it, their first response (admittedly in this article) said "more research into poverty" or similar. I would have thought hands on, on the ground, actually giving it away to those who urgently need it should have been their first response. I think most people will have a good idea why poverty happens, there have been enough articles and documentaries about it over the years!
Or maybe they only understand Jack Monroe's version of poverty...
(I jest, of course.)

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 52
I dunno she was still pretty cocky till the bloke said he was out. So perhaps there was something more there.

Also i think she is rage cooking slop.
"Also i think she is rage cooking slop."

PRAY FOR SB.

Jack, if you're reading get the lad a chippy tea and leave the slop alone.

Reactions: 23
I dunno she was still pretty cocky till the bloke said he was out. So perhaps there was something more there.

I'm convinced OutSquig is someone she actually genuinely respects or relies on irl and it was a massive batman slap in the face

Reactions: 33
WtF do these people think she’s going to do about it?
Aside from the fact she doesn’t have a single flying duck to give, this demonstrates two things:
1) the person tweeting this to her is incapable of seeing Jack’s ‘personal chaos’ and still think it’s an appropriate time to ask her about the price of a can of beans
2) the tweeter thinks Jack has some kind of power over what shops stock at any given time and has some control over supply chains. Jack is not responsible for stock levels in any store - basically this person is moaning at her as if she’s some kind of consumer champion for no apparent reason. She should be putting them right.

I don’t know where I’m going with this other than to say if my mum tweeted this to someone she’d get short shrift from me.
People really want someone who is 'in control' has some actual influence and can guide/ reassure them in these difficult times- especially otherwise vulnerable people. I hate that they think she either knows her stuff OR gives a tit, frankly.

Reactions: 28
The suite of relevant pages plus archives

Patreon

Teemill

Gofundme

Kickstarter

Bio page
Campaign page
Updates page
Comments page
Community page

Paypal

Bookshop.org
@That Forensic Man. This is a most forensic set of receipts
Chapeau!

• Heart
Reactions: 26
Sorry to be thick, but I'm confused by the updates, does this mean Jack has altered her teeemill by setting it to private or she hasn't?
I can see other Teemill sites, so either:

- It’s been taken down by Teemill themselves in response to concerns/complaints, or
- Jack has taken it down for unknown reasons - possibly because she’s worried that people are reporting her due to lack of donation transparency, or (knowing Jack) possibly just because she thinks:

DB160AB1-0E8C-4814-B873-60EEADC0C4C1.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 42

Rage cooking slop indeed. Straight in the bin after taking loads of photos for future use. Her takeaway orders will keep her going.
She caught the zeitgeist just at the right time and milked it. Until the patreon is sorted she's still coining it. It feels like damage limitation now.

Reactions: 28
Making the Teemill store private feels momentous, right? Or is this some kind of sneaky strategy?

I wonder if some attempt at a Reset is coming. Patreon is going to be the biggest hurdle though. I honestly can't see how she can properly fulfil two years' worth of stuff. Better to be honest and refund what she can, surely?
I'm going for bingo that she is purely doing it to re-write the bit about all profits going to TT, sly cow. BUT we have receipts in here showing that it said that, up until a few minutes ago. Go well, pal!

Hi Jack Monroe grifter!

Reactions: 35
Does diva have many followers when i looked back at one of the old posts i commented on the screenshot showed very few retweets.
I liked the mag (in hard copy) back when they were for lesbians and bi women. These days, it's a big nope from me.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
sorry to derail but if all of teemill is down does that mean we're not getting the chocolate pancake recipe after all?

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 30
Reading the link that was posted earlier, 6 of their staff earn over £60k and they had a £40m surplus. When asked what they were going to do with it, their first response (admittedly in this article) said "more research into poverty" or similar. I would have thought hands on, on the ground, actually giving it away to those who urgently need it should have been their first response. I think most people will have a good idea why poverty happens, there have been enough articles and documentaries about it over the years!
Or maybe they only understand Jack Monroe's version of poverty...
(I jest, of course.)
Yes, I think their rules about limiting the number of times people could access the service were possibly defensible when they were a much smaller charity and austerity had really only started to kick in but it's very quickly become apparent they're outdated and no longer fit for purpose. If they're sitting on a surplus like that, then they're able to introduce small cash grants and increase the number of times people can access the service or waive that altogether. They could also look at recruiting from the communities they serve- possibly doing a decent well paid internship programme that would provide opportunities to for people to work at all parts of the charity to gain different skills and get a feel for what they'd like to do. That strikes me as more valuable than creating more 60k jobs.

• Heart
Reactions: 52
Has she ever came back about the 600% increase in that persons care costs? What if that person still thinks Jack’s looking into it for them?
It’s absolutely infuriating…

Reactions: 29
I think this is shaping up very well towards a youtube video. There’s loads of them out there ‘the downfall of’ or ‘whatever happened to’ and usually it’s a creator who got greedy and started to lie / cheat their way to easy money.
I wonder if we could talk FundieFriday into doing it? Her youtube takedowns are normally about Christian fundamentalism.....but she talks whilst simultaneously doing her makeup, so I feel that would be weirdly fitting.

• Haha
Reactions: 9
I think it also signifies how difficult people are finding it to make their budgets work, and that they are putting all their trust in someone who proclaims to know all the hacks to help them.
Did an Asda shop today- for 6 of us (adults/ teens) and was trying to get it under the £50 cash I had. Tried the local big ASDA as I was passing, but it actually had far less than my little local ASDA as far as actual food is concerned. It was shockingly depleted, with barely any of the staples I'd usually get. I needed to get bog roll and cat litter- the bigger expenses- but the only 'luxury' I got was some Tassimo pods (which just about keep me alive)
The rest was packed lunch stuff, fruit and veg, some basic meals but only about 3-4 regular bags worth. Much of it Smart Price and the rest the next tier shite. It came to about £78 all in.
Bloody shocking.
About a third of what I used to get for the price, if that. And that was being extremely careful. It's not going to do a full week either- without milk top ups and store cupboard stuff at least.
Just getting that off my chest!!
(I started adding it all up as I went round, but got lost and gave up)

You're not misunderstanding at all. Here's the shop with the bag and T-shirts.

it's asking for an access code?

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 27
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.