Jack Monroe #401 Is there a ‘blocked by DIVA magazine’ club?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Yes, I think their rules about limiting the number of times people could access the service were possibly defensible when they were a much smaller charity and austerity had really only started to kick in but it's very quickly become apparent they're outdated and no longer fit for purpose. If they're sitting on a surplus like that, then they're able to introduce small cash grants and increase the number of times people can access the service or waive that altogether. They could also look at recruiting from the communities they serve- possibly doing a decent well paid internship programme that would provide opportunities to for people to work at all parts of the charity to gain different skills and get a feel for what they'd like to do. That strikes me as more valuable than creating more 60k jobs.
Its that I have a problem with. You can use it three times, three day food parcels. The immediate assumption is dishonesty, the need to ration their resources from the dishonest poor, who also need a referral from the jobcentre. The smaller foodbanks dont do this. Most are run and set up by volunteers. You can have a five month wait for PIP, you can be santcioned for loads of time and have a six week wait for Universal Credit. It shouldnt be running the gauntlet to get a manky food parcel. The foodbank where i used to live you could go every weekend, and get a hot meal while there, people are basically honest and the ones who did that needed it. How with the structure of our benefits system can you justify 3 parcel restrictions, referrals from professionals only with those kind of cash reserves? Also they are linked to the Teachfirs and Frontline social enterprise models hollowing out teaching and social work. I find the Trussell Trust a bit sinister and see them as an arm to the jobcentre rather than like the foodbanks I know run by volunteers. Give your money to the smaller ones they do a great job in terrible circumstances often..

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 81
My favourite thing about the Fraus (because you're all softies and lovelies) is that people- even us oldies- see stuff like Jack making her Teemill private and think 'maybe she's sorting it out!'

The thought just crossed my mind before I caught myself.

She'll do what she did with her taxes. Close the company and never mention it again. She doesn't care about being transparent or fixing things for others. She's done a big steaming shite and she's trying to cover it up.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 78
Was it ever a recipe, tender one, or only one of her many ideas for food?
She promised a recipe for her one-pan caramelised banana and choc sauce pancake recipe. All I know is that the sauce is made from chocolate, oil and milk, and it’s shown on top of the banana pancake. One pan. Really makes you disbelieve think

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 43
I'm with you! I was so disappointed to discover that our local foodbank is run by TT - I'm so torn now, wanting to help but not wanting them (TT) to have my money. THIS IS WHAT YOU'VE DONE, JACK MONROE! People are losing out on food donations because of you! :mad: I have to admit I've given my money to Depher recently, until I can find someone more local to donate to. :( Will still pop some tins/packets into the basket in-store but they won't be getting my cash.
Have a look about for a smaller church group or community centre. There’s two churches near me that run food bank and soup kitchen services and they get my donations-I also bask in my effort free giving as a woman on my street collects it from me coz she was the drop-off point during covid! 😎

• Heart
Reactions: 30
Did an Asda shop today- for 6 of us (adults/ teens) and was trying to get it under the £50 cash I had. Tried the local big ASDA as I was passing, but it actually had far less than my little local ASDA as far as actual food is concerned. It was shockingly depleted, with barely any of the staples I'd usually get. I needed to get bog roll and cat litter- the bigger expenses- but the only 'luxury' I got was some Tassimo pods (which just about keep me alive)
The rest was packed lunch stuff, fruit and veg, some basic meals but only about 3-4 regular bags worth. Much of it Smart Price and the rest the next tier shite. It came to about £78 all in.
Bloody shocking.
About a third of what I used to get for the price, if that. And that was being extremely careful. It's not going to do a full week either- without milk top ups and store cupboard stuff at least.
Just getting that off my chest!!
(I started adding it all up as I went round, but got lost and gave up)

it's asking for an access code?
And this is the thing - some people will struggle to stretch their limited budgets if the prices they recall from last week have increased the next. It can add yet more pain and distress to all the other noise supermarkets inflict on customers like changing packaging and switching aisles. Yes, I’m speaking as someone who grew up in poverty and while I might be in a better position than most that scarcity mindset has never left me.

Should she not be posting her recipe of the day, how long did that last? One day?
That lasted enough to bury HH2 further down the blog. Job done.

• Heart
Reactions: 31
I always laughed at how she cropped that image because there was nothing on the paper 😂

View attachment 1595387
View attachment 1595389
View attachment 1595394
ss: @kachoochoo
Yes that familiar stage of writing where you take pictures of yourself or have someone else take pictures of you or set your camera up on timelapse to photograph you despairing.......that is precisely why I havent edited the stuff I wrote over the summer and why it took me over a year to do my thesis. I had to do that.

• Haha
Reactions: 46
£13 a head for majority of a shop for 6 adults/teens is good going - it’s only Jack’s nonsense propaganda that is making you feel this isn’t good budgeting. Realistically with cat stuff and toilet roll you are going to need £20 a head at least a week. If that’s not doable you need to start looking for other help and advice because Jack’s eating trash and not enough of it isn’t a strategy and her propaganda is what stops folks seeking advice from CAB or Christians Against Poverty and other bodies such as neutral debt management advice. There are grants and strategies etc that people need to explore before Jack shopping routes.
Imagine if somebody -anybody - had spent last couple of years showing that you CANNOT now feed a person adequately long-term on £10 or £12 a week (that did a good veggie diet for us in 1990's) backed up with proper nutritional analysis. Might have done so much good.

• Heart
Reactions: 48
That photo will always make me laugh. Jack doing her big important work with a pen (could have been a postcard, babes).
View attachment 1595368
Wait a minute! She’s missed a trick there hasn’t she? No fancy pen? Where’s her Parker fountain pen from the grammar skool days or the Mont Blanc mechanical pencil that she found at the bottom of a well?
As Raymond Holt of the Nine-Nine says-“black ink, not blue. I’m not a street artist.”

• Haha
Reactions: 32
Its that I have a problem with. You can use it three times, three day food parcels. The immediate assumption is dishonesty, the need to ration their resources from the dishonest poor, who also need a referral from the jobcentre. The smaller foodbanks dont do this. Most are run and set up by volunteers. You can have a five month wait for PIP, you can be santcioned for loads of time and have a six week wait for Universal Credit. It shouldnt be running the gauntlet to get a manky food parcel. The foodbank where i used to live you could go every weekend, and get a hot meal while there, people are basically honest and the ones who did that needed it. How with the structure of our benefits system can you justify 3 parcel restrictions, referrals from professionals only with those kind of cash reserves? Also they are linked to the Teachfirs and Frontline social enterprise models hollowing out teaching and social work. I find the Trussell Trust a bit sinister and see them as an arm to the jobcentre rather than like the foodbanks I know run by volunteers. Give your money to the smaller ones they do a great job in terrible circumstances often..
This is why it infuriates me that they are the only organisation Jack ever publicly promotes. No due diligence done whatsoever.

• Heart
Reactions: 28
She promised a recipe for her one-pan caramelised banana and choc sauce pancake recipe. All I know is that the sauce is made from chocolate, oil and milk, and it’s shown on top of the banana pancake. One pan. Really makes you disbelieve think
My five dogs chewed their legs off months ago and are resigned to flopping about the place like demented seals nibbling each other's ears and noses whilst waiting for Jack's promised recipe for dog biscuits.

• Haha
Reactions: 40
Wait a minute! She’s missed a trick there hasn’t she? No fancy pen? Where’s her Parker fountain pen from the grammar skool days or the Mont Blanc mechanical pencil that she found at the bottom of a well?
As Raymond Holt of the Nine-Nine says-“black ink, not blue. I’m not a street artist.”
She would have to buy the pen, find a puddle, put it in the puddle, photograph it and then put it on the table to photograph it again. With all those postcards and doing good to do, how has she got the time. You have crossed the line to being unfair..

• Haha
Reactions: 31
,Jack definitely conflated sales with profit (nice maths, hope the interview goes well). No way did she make £2,000 profit in a matter of hours.

View attachment 1595314

Not sure how much (if anything) this website is making.

Archives for that

• Heart
Reactions: 22
Just want to say solidarity to any fellow TT volunteers here who might be feeling a bit meh at the slagging the TT is getting.

*beans, pasta and Fray Bentos salute* 💚

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 52
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.