Jack Monroe #401 Is there a ‘blocked by DIVA magazine’ club?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I wonder if it's something that can be reported to trading standards for miss-selling both patreon and stating inaccurately about the teemill charities :unsure:

• Heart
Reactions: 22
Did an Asda shop today- for 6 of us (adults/ teens) and was trying to get it under the £50 cash I had. Tried the local big ASDA as I was passing, but it actually had far less than my little local ASDA as far as actual food is concerned. It was shockingly depleted, with barely any of the staples I'd usually get. I needed to get bog roll and cat litter- the bigger expenses- but the only 'luxury' I got was some Tassimo pods (which just about keep me alive)
The rest was packed lunch stuff, fruit and veg, some basic meals but only about 3-4 regular bags worth. Much of it Smart Price and the rest the next tier shite. It came to about £78 all in.
Bloody shocking.
About a third of what I used to get for the price, if that. And that was being extremely careful. It's not going to do a full week either- without milk top ups and store cupboard stuff at least.
Just getting that off my chest!!
(I started adding it all up as I went round, but got lost and gave up)

it's asking for an access code?
Yes, she's taken the shop down but it was still live at the time of the comment.

• Wow
Reactions: 18
I only subscribe to one paid substack and that’s just to get the odd extra essay that’s more personal. It’s only because I can afford a couple of quid a month, and also the writer hasn’t promised a certain amount of articles or anything like that. I’ve gone in knowing I might literally be paying for the odd thing here and there, but ok with it because I don’t expect anything.

What Jack has promised on her Patreon is absolutely ridiculous - the sheer amount of postcards and stuff is just wasting paper!? What would you do with them all!?
As others have said before, she SHOULD have offered one physical product and everything else should have been done digitally. She's SO bleeping OLD FASHIONED!
Someone else I follow hand-writes monthly letters to her top tier patrons but even she has said that she'll stop this, if the numbers get too big. She selects one person every month to have a video call with (limited to 30 mins so not too bad for her), does weekly videos for all but the lowest tiers, and really does look after her patrons! She also produces unique artwork for them, but makes prints and sends them digitally. That's what I would do, if I were on that platform. I don't know how anyone can be SO rude and ignorant (not forgetting greedy) to take money for some supposed work they're doing that nobody can actually SEE!

Those people are paying Jack Monroe's salary FFS - they deserve her bloody respect! She treats them like tit!

• Heart
Reactions: 45
Did an Asda shop today- for 6 of us (adults/ teens) and was trying to get it under the £50 cash I had. Tried the local big ASDA as I was passing, but it actually had far less than my little local ASDA as far as actual food is concerned. It was shockingly depleted, with barely any of the staples I'd usually get. I needed to get bog roll and cat litter- the bigger expenses- but the only 'luxury' I got was some Tassimo pods (which just about keep me alive)
The rest was packed lunch stuff, fruit and veg, some basic meals but only about 3-4 regular bags worth. Much of it Smart Price and the rest the next tier shite. It came to about £78 all in.
Bloody shocking.
About a third of what I used to get for the price, if that. And that was being extremely careful. It's not going to do a full week either- without milk top ups and store cupboard stuff at least.
Just getting that off my chest!!
(I started adding it all up as I went round, but got lost and gave up)

it's asking for an access code?
£13 a head for majority of a shop for 6 adults/teens is good going - it’s only Jack’s nonsense propaganda that is making you feel this isn’t good budgeting. Realistically with cat stuff and toilet roll you are going to need £20 a head at least a week. If that’s not doable you need to start looking for other help and advice because Jack’s eating trash and not enough of it isn’t a strategy and her propaganda is what stops folks seeking advice from CAB or Christians Against Poverty and other bodies such as neutral debt management advice. There are grants and strategies etc that people need to explore before Jack shopping routes.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 44
I think she could still pull the Patreon back by throwing herself on the mercy of her Patrons - some of them will still love her.

Huge apology, tale of woe, admission that she can't possibly make good on the rewards, and make a new offer to make up for it - such as I dunno, doing some "evening with Jack Monroe" group zooms or something where she does cookalongs, karaoke :D , political chats, readings, even watchalongs of Bake Off or something. Some would accept it over refunds, and she could offer to pay back the pissed off ones slowly if she genuinely hasn't got the cash. And do digital rewards thereafter for those that stay with her.

She is a big silly.

• Heart
Reactions: 46
Now, if you had nothing to hide and everything was above board, why take the shop down?! She’s had a good run of diddling folk, it’s time for some answers.

Reactions: 23
,Jack definitely conflated sales with profit (nice maths, hope the interview goes well). No way did she make £2,000 profit in a matter of hours.

View attachment 1595314

Not sure how much (if anything) this website is making.

That photo will always make me laugh. Jack doing her big important work with a pen (could have been a postcard, babes).
Screenshot_20220921-194017_Chrome.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 46
I think she could still pull the Patreon back by throwing herself on the mercy of her Patrons - some of them will still love her.

Huge apology, tale of woe, admission that she can't possibly make good on the rewards, and make a new offer to make up for it - such as I dunno, doing some "evening with Jack Monroe" group zooms or something where she does cookalongs, karaoke :D , political chats, readings, even watchalongs of Bake Off or something. Some would accept it over refunds, and she could offer to pay back the pissed off ones slowly if she genuinely hasn't got the cash. And do digital rewards thereafter for those that stay with her.

She is a big silly.
A lot of Patrons likely wouldn't even care. I've followed other threads on here where people try to call out Patreon scams and the Patrons are always the ones saying "They can use my money however they like! It's an honor just to be able to support them!"

• Sad
  • Haha
Reactions: 39

She is a big silly.
She'd probably end up getting loads of new sign ups from the thirsty mention men if they thought there was a chance to talk to a real live woman via Zoom and impress her with their legendary bantz.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 37

She is a big silly.
So you're suggesting that she threatens the patreons with all those things and they pay her not too?..

That could work tbh. I'd happily chip in a £2 a month to never hear Jack singing EVER again.

• Haha
Reactions: 24
Jack: Hello, is that Olivia Pope? My name is Jack Monroe.

Olivia: Ok. How did you get my direct number?

Jack: My bodyguards had a word with a mate in the CIA. Or was it FBI. Dunno. Just letters, innit. Can you help me?

Olivia: We’ll see. What do you need help with?

Jack: Some nefarious ninnies HATE ME! My empire is being THREATENED!

Olivia: Some what now? And what empire is that?

Jack: I’ve had to stop my teeshirt and bag store working!!!!! They said I had to STOP. And I can’t send all those postcards!!!! I want to buy lovely puddle things!!!! They don’t want me to BREATHE.

Olivia: I don’t think I can help.

Jack: You are one of THEM! I bet Susie Dent recruited you! You just wait I’ll send my FLYING MONKEYS AND THEY’LL….

*dial tone*

• Haha
I wish I could like this twice! Some of the most wonderful dishes have such humble origins. And you can still make really lovely things with tins and store cupboard ingredients without serving up a pile of slop. I don't think Jack was ever really that into food, and she just exploited a niche that she fell into quite by accident. I know she divides the canal but listen to how Nigella describes flavour - I think she once described oregano as 'lemony' which my basic palate would never pick up - compared to Jack's interchangeable herbs and 'just bung it in a curry'. Really makes you think!
I completely agree-and it’s more accidental than that because I really believe that at the start she was modelling herself as a kind of Poor Me Tory Girl Done Wrong but Don’t Worry- gonna pull myself up by my bootstraps!
Her representation of being skint is frankly revolting. Dead people can’t riot etc. There is loads of help and support for people struggling in this country and I do know believe me, that people live in poverty here but that’s for socio-economic reasons far beyond Jacks simplistic mitherings. Let’s not forget she’s never actually experienced grinding long term poverty or I bet ever spent any real time with people who do. You meet some fantastic, generous, inspirational, selfless, ego-free people working with communities who are just facilitating for the benefit others. She just doesn’t deserve to align herself there. Or anywhere. Except the bin.

• Heart
Reactions: 40
Why is she reading here.no one in twitter land is talking about the shop. I would worry more about them, as they actually are her current fans.

That photo will always make me laugh. Jack doing her big important work with a pen (could have been a postcard, babes).
View attachment 1595368
This pic will always make me think about when she was announced as a resident columnist for the ill fated breakdown magazine. I know y'all will be shocked and astounded at what I'm about to say but.......

not one single sentence ever materialised for that particular role and it was never mentioned again

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 58

She is a big silly.
I love that you’ve thought of this, dear heart. All these ideas are just so nice. Chapeau!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 17
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.