Jack Monroe #394 Stickler for facts and fair reporting

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Word is spreading...another forum where I lurk (CookdnBombd - comedy and stuff) has had a (relatively minuscule, obviously) thread on Jack where earlier in the summer there was a bit of back and forth about the criticism of her.

The upshot was, earlier in the year, most of the posters agreed she was generally somewhere between "ace" and okay, if a bit of a chaotic elevenerifer, with a few dissenters.

Just popped there again and Jack trending on Twitter has led to something of a reappraisal. They're not a hive mind, some still believe the best of her, but the tide has turned. Here are some sample quotes:
  • "Anyway, I read this slightly obsessively researched article [Molly] about whether or not Jack Monroe is a scammer and I dunno lads, I'm sort of leaning towards her being a bit of a wrong 'un."
  • "Halfway through that medium post and it seems pretty damning."
  • [not getting into the wider question of whether Jack is a scammer] "Jack's suggestion that people cancel their energy bill direct debit and set up a standing order for an amount they can afford instead is phenomenally bad advice."
  • "[semi-supportive, neutral-ish comment] seemed a bit like she was milking the desperation a bit was the talk of unscrewing lights and stuff."
  • "im absolutely not going to grind an axe (there are some horrible people who clearly constantly name search Jack Monroe on twitter to try and defame them, absolutely pathetic beasts), but also at this point I'm not convinced they [Jack] do that much good. their media appearances are appalling, and bootlicking the royal family at this time is not good. you don't need to hurl tit at them, just keep quiet!!! for fucks sake!"
  • "Fundamentally though I think there are other people capable of doing what Monroe does, doing it honestly, more efficiently and without the dysfunction and possibly even are doing already just without the minor personality cult."
The forum isn't massive, but it's long-standing and usually bang on the zeitgeist. Definitely left-leaning, not a whiff of anti-trans (quite the opposite) and generally populated by sharp-minded posters.

Hope I've not done a chaos with this, debated whether to name the forum.
Questions were being asked about what the deal with is Jack when Admiral Rear Foo-Foo's thread was linked in a fb group I'm in the other day too. Similar demographic, possibly some overlap.

If anyone from there is reading, duck off x (that's a term of endearment here)

• Haha
Reactions: 17
Has anyone managed to look into her claims of 'volunteering at foodbanks'?
I have to say it sounds very much like BS to me.
Is that part of her 150 hour week, or in addition to?

I'd like to know where these food banks are considering;

Everyone in Southend can't stand her
She has a very bad reputation with the food banks/charities in her area
She can't drive
She can't even go to an anonymous meeting without posting about it

🤔

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 59
I didn't see this being noted, but Jack's fanny tweet has been deleted.

Snagged it in the archive

The photo wasn't *that* bad and I do feel it's a bit much to pass every single thing through the lens of how would her 12 year old 's friends find it. I agree she needs to be somewhat mindful re the talk of harming herself and the types of threats she supposedly receives, but not to post a pic in case her son and his friends find it embarrassing seems excessive.
For me it's not so much the pic per se it's her banal commentary on her 'chubby lil thighs' and drawing attention to her not-fanny etc. I'm embarrassed for her and I'm a grown man.

I've been a bit nervous to raise this, and agree. To me, it's not Jack's "dead name", it's Jack's former name. I respect the new name and, indeed, "knew" her not before so have no reason to wish to use it anyway
Agree with this, I thought the term 'dead name' implied a person's pre-gender transition name, but that's not relevant to Jack's name change, despite her transition (and ongoing non-binary status as I understand it). Claiming we're 'using her dead name' or 'dead-naming her' implies certain transphobic connotations that I don't think are warranted.

ETA what I'm trying to say is I consider calling it 'dead naming' possibly playing into her weaponisation of her characteristics.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 56
So… 12:23 she mentions Daubney. 8 mins later Martin Daubney retweets AM. Really makes you think.

all the grifters love a vanity search, don't they!

these tweets are a very rare situation where jack is probably the least cunty person mentioned

• Haha
Reactions: 33
I'd like to know where these food banks are considering;

Everyone in Southend can't stand her
She has a very bad reputation with the food banks in her area
She can't drive
She can't even go to an anonymous meeting without posting about it

🤔
She has not volunteered in food bank. The way she publicises her every fart in her alcoholics ANONYMOUS tweets leads me to believe that if she actually did work in foodbanks we would hear a lot more from England's pov saviour Jack monroe @bootstrapcook .
Maybe the food bank in her area isn't Trussell Trust so she is worried about conflict of interests...
After her local foodbank had such a significant impact on her own poverty backstory it feels really odd that she never publicly acknowledges them or helps out
I don't believe she's capable of volunteering silently and gently behind the scenes.

I'm going to try as I've just been trying to do a summary! Might need help!
Eek! Good luck, I think what I'd missed was linking the new thread to the rest of the monroe forum, the guidelines are really good, I was just meant to be asleep when I did it 🤣

• Heart
Reactions: 37
all the grifters love a vanity search, don't they!

these tweets are a very rare situation where jack is probably the least cunty person mentioned
I always think it’s really interesting the way these participants in the culture wars utterly rely on their adversaries to sustain their respective grifts. I’d literally never heard of Martin Daubney before Jack started bawling all over Twitter about him being mean to her. I’m sure the same might be said of Jack for Martin’s target demographic.

None of these people actually have any principles, or believe anything they spout. Especially Jack or Martin. They’re just two cheeks of the same outrage machine arse riling up each other’s fans to enrich themselves. It’s depressing.

Reactions: 44
She wanted to prove her left wing credentials after the roasting yesterday. She’ll probably go after these awful right wingers some more, later. And talk about how the legal case is still with the paralegals or some such nonsense
Won’t wash. We have the receipts.
It’s really quite weird how we were looking into this just a few days ago and after months of silence, BAM

Reactions: 22
I always think it’s really interesting the way these participants in the culture wars utterly rely on their adversaries to sustain their respective grifts. I’d literally never heard of Martin Daubney before Jack started bawling all over Twitter about him being mean to her. I’m sure the same might be said of Jack for Martin’s target demographic.

None of these people actually have any principles, or believe anything they spout. Especially Jack or Martin. They’re just two cheeks of the same outrage machine arse riling up each other’s fans to enrich themselves. It’s depressing.
Oh completely. They must have been dancing a jig when she said she'd sue.

Reactions: 24
Apologies, what's the opinion of JM in Southend? I think I know...is she viewed as a "bit of caaaaant"?

• Haha
Reactions: 16
Word is spreading...another forum where I lurk (CookdnBombd - comedy and stuff) has had a (relatively minuscule, obviously) thread on Jack where earlier in the summer there was a bit of back and forth about the criticism of her.

The upshot was, earlier in the year, most of the posters agreed she was generally somewhere between "ace" and okay, if a bit of a chaotic elevenerifer, with a few dissenters.

Just popped there again and Jack trending on Twitter has led to something of a reappraisal. They're not a hive mind, some still believe the best of her, but the tide has turned. Here are some sample quotes:
  • "Anyway, I read this slightly obsessively researched article [Molly] about whether or not Jack Monroe is a scammer and I dunno lads, I'm sort of leaning towards her being a bit of a wrong 'un."
  • "Halfway through that medium post and it seems pretty damning."
  • [not getting into the wider question of whether Jack is a scammer] "Jack's suggestion that people cancel their energy bill direct debit and set up a standing order for an amount they can afford instead is phenomenally bad advice."
  • "[semi-supportive, neutral-ish comment] seemed a bit like she was milking the desperation a bit was the talk of unscrewing lights and stuff."
  • "im absolutely not going to grind an axe (there are some horrible people who clearly constantly name search Jack Monroe on twitter to try and defame them, absolutely pathetic beasts), but also at this point I'm not convinced they [Jack] do that much good. their media appearances are appalling, and bootlicking the royal family at this time is not good. you don't need to hurl tit at them, just keep quiet!!! for fucks sake!"
  • "Fundamentally though I think there are other people capable of doing what Monroe does, doing it honestly, more efficiently and without the dysfunction and possibly even are doing already just without the minor personality cult."
The forum isn't massive, but it's long-standing and usually bang on the zeitgeist. Definitely left-leaning, not a whiff of anti-trans (quite the opposite) and generally populated by sharp-minded posters.

Hope I've not done a chaos with this, debated whether to name the forum.
Shame they jumped to the conclusion we’re all a bunch of sad old harridans. Or whatever the phrase was. They’re not anti-trans but they don’t seem to care for women much.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
Sorry to be spectacularly hopeless but I can't even find the new thread button (possibly I'm too new to be allowed?)

Anyway I've got to get back to work but if anyone wants a thread summary to paste into the new thread, it is below:

It was busy, busy, busy on the last thread.

We kicked off with Jack trending on Twitter for push back from squigs when she said her dad was a Marxist Leninist who saluted the queen in his medals during the queens speech.

Jack attempted to defend her father from criticism by claiming his was a good sort of landlord who helped the poors and those addled by alcohol by charging them a peppercorn rent and chatting to them on the phone.

Jack went to a Google summit and claimed she was doing it all for the poors. Later in the evening she uploaded a picture which appeared to flash her fanny on twitter. Then she tweeted that it was not her fanny, but her chubby thighs in shot.

Jack claimed to have held a 6 day old baby on a train, and also claimed to have laryngitis.
Later said her laryngitis was not the infectious kind.

Jack breadcrumbed that she'd previously asked to take part on Strictly Come Dancing, which allowed another outing of the ballet jack photo which new Fraus were not sufficiently prepared for in advance

Jack appeared on GMB in front of a picture of a burger.

@Penelope_Ghent uploaded the results of a FOI request that showed Jack had been to one meeting with the ONS about the price index.
No briefing came out of this meeting & changes to the inflation data had been planned for a long time and were not due to 'recent stakeholder demand'.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 39
Snagged it in the archive

For me it's not so much the pic per se it's her banal commentary on her 'chubby lil thighs' and drawing attention to her not-fanny etc. I'm embarrassed for her and I'm a grown man.

Agree with this, I thought the term 'dead name' implied a person's pre-gender transition name, but that's not relevant to Jack's name change, despite her transition (and ongoing non-binary status as I understand it). Claiming we're 'using her dead name' or 'dead-naming her' implies certain transphobic connotations that I don't think are warranted.

ETA what I'm trying to say is I consider calling it 'dead naming' possibly playing into her weaponisation of her characteristics.
Oh don't get me wrong , she is excruciatingly embarrassing. I just think mums are allowed to be people too, if that makes sense?

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.