Jack Monroe #394 Stickler for facts and fair reporting

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
How can she tweet these tales of her grandads/dads benevolence with a straight face? Just means she has no real grasp on the realities of any situation. Every slum lord pays/drops the rent for an old alcoholic bedsit dweller to carry out minor repairs. It means they don’t have to pay a real tradesperson the going rate for such work. I did bedsit-land as a young person because I left a chaotic and violent home at 15 and her posts about the hotel go way beyond an aneurysm.

ETA- apologies - should’ve me-railed that I think but haven’t worked that out yet and that came out in a flow of rage! 🤣

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 104
Good steady money. Loads of private landlords round my way do it and do very nicely out of it too. The tenants may pay very little but the council pays a lot for them to be housed
I don't know much about all the Marxist and Lenin stuff tbh, would a Marky Mark and Beatles fan take money from a council so happily?

• Haha
Reactions: 30
Hi there, first time poster.

If JM's dad lets to "social tenants" he would need to be a registered social landlord. Any evidence for this out there?
No because it's total bollocks. If it's an HMO which it sounds like it is then he's renting to people who should be social tenants and would be if we actually built enough council and housing association homes. If he really wanted to help these people the best thing he could do is help with application forms to get them on as many social waiting lists as possible and if he's prepared to go the extra (dishonest in a good cause) mile provide them a letter saying he wants the flat back to bump them up the list a bit. I don't doubt that Jack's parents are both better people than her whatever their weird politics might be but you know, you can say that about most people because she is bloody awful.

• Heart
Reactions: 71
I actually believe that big Dave might do some of the stuff she says, but I don't believe for a second he actually charges a "peppercorn rent" in the literal sense. He might charge the local housing allowance rate. But peppercorn is something completely different.
She thinks herbs are interchangeable so she’s got no chance understanding what peppercorn actually is.

• Haha
Reactions: 91
They’ve probably muted her. Followed her because it felt the worthy thing to do then realised that they actually didn’t want to endlessly hear about her slop recipes and persecution complex.
I know of one account who considers her the bees knees, which is a pooper because they’re actually a good un. I’m not intervening, however, it’s always worth waiting for the realisation to appear.

Reactions: 33
Squig actually believes she does nutritional breakdowns and calories and that her food is healthy. So dangerous people trust her that her food is a balanced healthy diet.
FAD99023-775C-41A4-AA52-1059710DCD2C.jpeg

• Angry
  • Haha
Reactions: 68
Anyone can rent to people in benefits (mortgage and insurance providers allowing). Being a registered provider of social housing is something slightly different.

There is a register of social landlords, he's not on it, but I wouldn't expect him to be.
Yes, but a 'social tenant' is normally understood as someone from the social housing list, who is subject to protected rents, etc. These people would be renting through an RSL, otherwise they aren't a social tenant.

Probably she was just loose/uninformed with her language, but it raises the question where the tenants are coming from and how he is finding them, if they are simply private individuals in need of cheap housing.

• Heart
Reactions: 47
She thinks herbs are interchangeable so she’s got no chance understanding what peppercorn actually is.
Try replacing mint for chives in your Hendricks and tonic and you’ll soon see that herbs are not, in fact, interchangeable at all. bleep.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 68
So Jack’s Marxist dad has been quietly helping vulnerable elderly people with rent free accommodation and covid shopping, yet couldn’t help his daughter and grandchild when they had to turn off the fridge for two years?

This must be because he subscribes to the Marxist view on family. Is that also why he won’t let her inherit his property portfolio?

• Haha
Reactions: 97
Hmm yeah-my OH occasionally does work for a land-owning lady and she rents a field to a local farmer for a peppercorn rent of £1 a year. I think it’s because money has to change hands to make it a proper legal agreement.

Reactions: 48
Squig actually believes she does nutritional breakdowns and calories and that her food is healthy. So dangerous people trust her that her food is a balanced healthy diet. View attachment 1577609
I do think think there's a massive problem in this country with poor nutritional knowledge and it cuts across class. Also a lot of women have a terrible relationship with food due to stupid diets even if they never develop full blown eating disorders. I think this partly explains people believing Jack is providing anything like adequate nutrition on £20. The lack of protein and calories is the most glaring problem but I'm sure someone better informed than I am would be able to point out other deficiencies.

• Heart
Reactions: 71
She has evaded this point for years in her slippery way.
Her parents are 'living saints'. Yet either:
They knew she and her son were cold and starving and did nothing.
Didn't know but missed the glaringly obvious signs she and her son were cold and starving.
Were so unapproachable Jack would rather have gone hungry than asked for help for herself and her son.

Any which way she doesn't paint them in a great light.
I'm absolutely sure it was entirely down to Jack refusing to ask for or accept help, either because she can't admit when she's effed up, or because she loves The Suffering (I actually think that's her real addiction, from school traumas and ED etc as a teen through to sm habit of actively seeking out criticism and ignoring everything else)

• Heart
Reactions: 44
Wow I’ve been really busy this morning and this is the time she lets dumb Jack out of the box!
I love it most when she talks about things she has duck all knowledge of and then it runs away from her.

Beautiful…

• Haha
Reactions: 42
You wonder if she actually realises yet how completely fucked she is or if she still thinks she can pull things round?

• Haha
Reactions: 42
I do think think there's a massive problem in this country with poor nutritional knowledge and it cuts across class. Also a lot of women have a terrible relationship with food due to stupid diets even if they never develop full blown eating disorders. I think this partly explains people believing Jack is providing anything like adequate nutrition on £20. The lack of protein and calories is the most glaring problem but I'm sure someone better informed than I am would be able to point out other deficiencies.
J#s you do disappointed me when you talk sense!

• Haha
Reactions: 25
Counting down the hours to her ‘Twitter break’ announcement, I’m putting my money on pre 4pm

• Haha
Reactions: 41
Yes, but a 'social tenant' is normally understood as someone from the social housing list, who is subject to protected rents, etc. These people would be renting through an RSL, otherwise they aren't a social tenant.

Probably she was just loose/uninformed with her language, but it raises the question where the tenants are coming from and how he is finding them, if they are simply private individuals in need of cheap housing.

Yeah I think she probably means he rents to people who get their rent paid by housing benefit. It used to be the case that it could go straight to the landlord from the local authority so there’s no chance of arrears etc and some landlords prefer it. Might have changed. And also I’m in Scotland so might be different.

Reactions: 27
How exciting to be present at the birth of a new chaos. Excellent archiving of all the dirty deletes, canal!

• Haha
Reactions: 59
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.