Jack Monroe #380 Hunger Hurts 2: Solar Lantern Boogaloo

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
She's mentioned being "diagnosed gifted and talented" (šŸ™„) so she'll be talking about the gifted and talented programme that I think Warwick uni ran. It was the top 5% of pupils nationwide and really not that hard, my dumb ass was in it lol
Might not even be that, could well be just on her own school's Gifted and Talented register, which was often top 10% but not in all subjects e.g. you could be on the G and T register for Music but in bottom set for Maths.

• Haha
Reactions: 19
I think the grammar school perception might be regional as well as relatively few areas now actually have the 11+ system and people just don't understand it.

Up here in the North West, a lot of schools that have kept grammar in their name are actually private schools (Kirkham Grammar, St Anne's Grammar) and so the association is very different. For kids to take the 11+ they'd have to specifically seek it out and then be willing/able to travel miles to the nearest state grammar school (to Blackpool that seems to be in Lancaster - there's a state "grammar" near Preston but that doesn't have an entrance exam and is just a fairly regular school that's kept the name as far as I'm aware). The implication of going to grammar school here is very middle class, a working class child is vanishingly unlikely to be able to access it.

I know that's different where Jack is but I only know that because of Jack and seeing the references here.
I have to say I sat and passed my 11+ in the NW BUT that was a few, ahem, years ago. At the time the school was for locals, there was not this rush to buy a house in the area etc and I would say the majority of the people in my class were working class, a couple with very dodgy parents. However I understand they now have two sittings for the exam; one of locals and one for not local. The absurdity is that they have an allocation for each and so you could be local and get a higher mark than an external and they would get the place if their allocation was not full. IMO that is wrong. As for Jack I think she was probably what somebody in my school did and transferred in in the 2nd year after sitting an exam. Parental idea I think as she certainly struggled.... we also had some transfers into the 6th form and they also had issues (more to do with the style of teaching I think).

Reactions: 10
Might not even be that, could well be just on her own school's Gifted and Talented register, which was often top 10% but not in all subjects e.g. you could be on the G and T register for Music but in bottom set for Maths.
Yes, I was on my schoolā€™s G and T register. Just meant I was given more work to do from what I remember!

Reactions: 16
I agree that it was more this than anything official.

We use to have an awards night at the end of each school year, there was a prize for each subject, plus a few jokey ones.

If Jack had the same she'd be claiming to be an award winning student. It's all nonsense.

Reactions: 11
I think itā€™s both.

I donā€™t buy that you canā€™t change class, so even if Jackā€™s upbringing was working class, her being a well paid minor celebrity for the past decade would negate that, as would her current lifestyle and interests. I think it has to be a long term change or circumstances though.

Whaf I find interesting is that most people have a mixture of social class traits and characteristics, and are not purely stereotypical. Yet Jack is so obviously middle class in every possible way. I canā€™t even think of a single trait of hers that is in any way associated with the working class. Background, family, beliefs, politics, clothing style, accent, attitudes, snobbery, interests, housing etc all scream middle class.

The true marker is did she benefit from her class? Yes, and there is tangible evidence.

Thereā€™s an insta post on this thread that shows Jack got her big break after a friend put her in touch with a journalist who was looking for a skint mum at Xmas feature:

The media is a middle class industry, so connections only come from being middle class.

She also has the accepted celebrity ā€œwokeā€ beliefs that are common among middle class leftists, and compulsory among famous people unless setting out to be a token right winger.

She is given much more empathy and leeway for her terrible parenting and alleged alcoholism than a working class woman would have been. Imagine if Kerry Katona had ended up skint after the Jungle, then left her children starving because she was too ashamed to ask for help? Or if she claimed her kids had to check if she was still alive after witnessing her alcoholic stupors? Or was laughing about her 10 year old childā€™s stained underwear? Or any of the other nasty or neglectful things that Jack claims to have inflicted on her child. A working class woman would have been shamed into oblivion for Jackā€™s mothering skills.

She is also given the benefit of the doubt for her intentions. A working class woman would immediately be suspected of grifting, whereas Jack has carried on under the radar for a decade. Imagine if Kerry Katona - after coming out as skint and having starving kids - was still claiming to be on the brink of starving years later, and constantly rattling her tip jar. She would be treated as a feckless alcoholic drinking her money away.

KK would not be defended like Jack is from setting up bogus crowdfunders to buy her own book for ā€œcharityā€, or raking it in from Kickstarter and Patreon and giving nothing. KK would also be treated like a laughing stock if she lied as much as Jack and if she publicly displayed Jackā€™s level of ineptitude.
This post is perfection. So, so true and illustrates exactly what the FM & squigs miss.

Reactions: 16
Look on the persons timeline for their entire part in the convo. Itā€™ll give you an idea what they were talking about and we might be able to piece it together from there.
Unless a wiser Frau than me actually knows
I think it was something to do with the 3p Lee thing and daubeney but I think he may have also deleted something as well as Jack as he didnā€™t say anything offensive from what I could see

Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.