Jack Monroe #37 Don't f*** with cats.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Oh, another keystone of my teenage years - my friends and I piercing each others ears with a highly sterilised (i.e. waved over a gas hob flame) needle and a bit of cork.
We also used to do the smiley face lighter burn - let the flame run for a bit then turn it off and press the top of the lighter on your skin to get a smiley shape. Terrible! I would FUME if my kid did this now!!

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 22
I'm watching again the Jamie Oliver lockdown programmes as I want to make some of the dishes. I feel like I know a bit about JO but I don't know the name of his pets, I've never seen a photo of him lounging half naked on his sideboard or heard him publicly shame Jools. I do know though that he makes lovely tv programmes. The way he cooks and talks is effortless. The ingredients are ready prepared or he can prepare them quickly. He's knowledgeable and so enthusiastic and makes food I want to cook and eat. He has a public persona which he has carefully curated and while he does interact with fans on SM, he keeps his personal life separate. He's not everyones cup of tea but Jack needs to look and take note about how it can be done.
You mean he hasn't told everyone how he stuffs his scrotum into 3 PAIRS OF PANTS?!!

(Clearly joking m'lud, I never heard Mr Oliver mention his scrotum)

• Haha
Reactions: 34
Sorry to hear this, I hope all will be well for you. I feel for people triggered by this too, it’s not fair. She triggers me in lots of ways too if I’m honest. I’ve been diagnosed with late onset Schizophrenia this week (and accepted into Uni to do a Masters degree - swings and roundabouts) and she just pisses me off with her constant whining and bullshitting. The whole cat thing distresses me too. I’ve become so paranoid that someone is going to harm my cats that she’s tipping me over the edge and this is why I’m very much appreciative of the cat stuff being behind spoilers.

Maybe more than I probably wanted to share on an internet forum but a lot of you lovelies have been so open and honest about what you’re going through, it just felt right - you know?

I hope not, it was like washing up liquid on reflection 😂
Omg congrats on your uni offer, that's amazing!! Please tell me you're doing something nice for yourself to celebrate?!

TW: do mention the cat in this

Yeah I've felt a bit weird about sharing it too because it's not that bad, and nothing can be done til post birth anyway, but like jesus christ it's exhausting getting on here and reading her make up yet more tit about her life, she acts as if she's enduring the grossest tragedies of them all and she's really not. We all go through hard times, yes it's all relative so her not being a property magnate like dad probably does feel tit, no life isn't easy, but duck me we don't all indulge nearly half of the tit she does do we. It's just so exhausting, that cat makes me feel so uncomfortable too because she's allowing an animal to endure suffering and tbh sounds like she's making it worse, fancy making a child walk on a broken limb repeatedly because it placates your feelings? You wouldn't, would you, so why make a kitten do it - because they can't speak out and beg you to stop!

I came to these threads thinking she was just a clout chaser jumping on any trendy liberal middle class bandwagon possible and I've realised she's actually an incredibly dark and very scary individual. I'm not going to explain this very well but I'm a huge believer that we all have this like... detector inside us that keeps us safe, sometimes you just meet someone and you don't feel safe? You feel it in your waters/tummy, they might be boundary-less and overshare, they may say scary or alarming/shocking stuff, be too touchy feely, it could just be an aura? She massively sets that off and actually scares me, I'll lose the house in court for saying this but I think she's positively demonic.

• Heart
Reactions: 56
I was a sucker for O2 as well, then CK One when I "matured". I also was obsessed with a body mist I got from Boots Natural Collection, it was called Vitality and had an old world map on the bottle. As for makeup I lived in Boots 17 and my friend had a Miss Selfridge lipstick I desperately wanted but got discontinued and now I can't even remember the name. Poor me.

Clotheswise it was all about stuff from Select and New Look - strappy floral dresses over t-shirts with the obligatory DMs. I always wanted one of the floral pairs!
Miss Selfridge used to do an amazing perfume called 21 but in Roman numerals. To this day I’ve never had as many compliments about smelling nice as I did when I wore that perfume xx

• Heart
Reactions: 5
We also used to do the smiley face lighter burn - let the flame run for a bit then turn it off and press the top of the lighter on your skin to get a smiley shape. Terrible! I would FUME if my kid did this now!!
Yeah we did that too 🤦🏻‍♀️ there was also a phase of choking each other til that point you just go. I didnt take part in that!!

• Wow
Reactions: 11
I honestly can't believe how depressing she is. Obviously now my ~weird little brain~ has gone down this memory spiral re. when my dad was dying of cancer. Would I have thought 'Oh I know, now's the time to start looking for new lentil-based recipes' - doubtful. I can't imagine it would have cheered any of us up. But I can't be the only one who's, for want of a better word, 'triggered' by this new phase. Please picture my *sad little face*.

Sorry, ETA - it was a long time ago and I'm as fine as you can ever be after the horror of cancer. It's just ... not particularly feel-good in these already hard-as-duck times.
Agree. When my brother was in the final stages of cancer, all he wanted was things he loved, often memories from his childhood like super noodles. He would think about what he wanted us to bring him in the next night. He might have only eaten a spoonful but it gave him such a boost to eat exactly what he fancied. He never wanted lentils or anything healthy. I'm not saying there isn't a place for more of this but there are other more knowledgable people who can do this.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 57
If that's MTX, not just manky tasting tomato, cabbage, broccoli, peppers, apples, pears, oranges, mango, basil and paprika, along with almost all spices being tasteless or soapy, it caused permanent lactose intolerance for me. - and nausea after eating anything fatty that wasn't direct from an animal - not touched chocolate in years as they use palm oil, which tastes likes puke to me since the MTX years.

Spent most of my time eating sushi, cold cuts, plain chicken, gherkins and black (not green) olives. And I completely went off crisps and bread in the process.
Oh haha I thought I just hated palm oil chocolate so much cos I'm a bit of a supertaster/aversion/obsession prone but this makes total sense! I'm now intolerant to gluten and dairy also. I also hate mango nowadays, and I'm green olives not black. Gherkins 4eva though.
It's been a supplemental therapy for me on and off for ten years, am having it via injection now which is a big improvement on the side effects :)

Reactions: 7
Yep, yep.

Reactions: 3

Sigh. Jack, being deadly serious now - if a single crappy comment on SM makes you feel this terrible, maybe it's not the place for you? One comment has overridden all the sycophantic nonsense. I almost feel bad for her (I don't).

Anyway, I sense a flounce.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 40
Agree. When my brother was in the final stages of cancer, all he wanted was things he loved, often memories from his childhood like super noodles. He would think about what he wanted us to bring him in the next night. He might have only eaten a spoonful but it gave him such a boost to eat exactly what he fancied. He never wanted lentils or anything healthy. I'm not saying there isn't a place for more of this but there are other more knowledgable people who can do this.
Oh god, I'm *so* sorry, and I *so* know what you mean x
My dad would have been more interested in things like summer pudding or trifle or plain old custard, when you're thinking about last stages of life you just give them exactly what they want.

• Heart
Reactions: 24
Oh haha I thought I just hated palm oil chocolate so much cos I'm a bit of a supertaster/aversion/obsession prone but this makes total sense! I'm now intolerant to gluten and dairy also. I also hate mango nowadays, and I'm green olives not black. Gherkins 4eva though.
It's been a supplemental therapy for me on and off for ten years, am having it via injection now which is a big improvement on the side effects :)
I'm on Humira now, as the MTX wasn't working even at 25mg sc. And even that's not working enough, they were talking about switching to something else because it's the best response yet but not enough (just before lockdown meant all my appointments were cancelled and I couldn't get any more steroid shots to top up with in the meantime). Already been through the gamut of pills over the years, so I'm onto the big guns next, I guess. Sigh.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Honestly! I'd kind of gone off Jamie for a while there, for a variety of reasons, but his show over lockdown was just such a breath of fresh air, it really felt like he'd invited us into his home / family, and his recipes were actually so, so useful and inspiring, despite (or because of?) being really simple. He also got me really into the frozen aisle (esp frozen spinach, which I don't think I even knew existed before??? But which is so, so, useful and economical. Frozen raspberries too!). My mum's got a huge soft spot for him also, and was nice to talk about nice things / shared enthusiasms on the phone while I couldn't see her.
Oh me too. I looked forward to the show everyday. I was like you. I like Jamie's food but was a bit meh about him his till his lockdown show. If you like the show and his freezer ideas I'd definitely recommend his Save with Jamie book. Great ideas about using leftovers and how to use frozen food like veg and fish in cooking. It's been out a good few years now but I use loads of the recipes.

Reactions: 9
Omg congrats on your uni offer, that's amazing!! Please tell me you're doing something nice for yourself to celebrate?!

TW: do mention the cat in this

Yeah I've felt a bit weird about sharing it too because it's not that bad, and nothing can be done til post birth anyway, but like jesus christ it's exhausting getting on here and reading her make up yet more tit about her life, she acts as if she's enduring the grossest tragedies of them all and she's really not. We all go through hard times, yes it's all relative so her not being a property magnate like dad probably does feel tit, no life isn't easy, but duck me we don't all indulge nearly half of the tit she does do we. It's just so exhausting, that cat makes me feel so uncomfortable too because she's allowing an animal to endure suffering and tbh sounds like she's making it worse, fancy making a child walk on a broken limb repeatedly because it placates your feelings? You wouldn't, would you, so why make a kitten do it - because they can't speak out and beg you to stop!

I came to these threads thinking she was just a clout chaser jumping on any trendy liberal middle class bandwagon possible and I've realised she's actually an incredibly dark and very scary individual. I'm not going to explain this very well but I'm a huge believer that we all have this like... detector inside us that keeps us safe, sometimes you just meet someone and you don't feel safe? You feel it in your waters/tummy, they might be boundary-less and overshare, they may say scary or alarming/shocking stuff, be too touchy feely, it could just be an aura? She massively sets that off and actually scares me, I'll lose the house in court for saying this but I think she's positively demonic.
Your last paragraph makes so much sense to me, you’re so right. She’s a loose cannon 🤷🏻‍♀️ And thank you ❤ I haven’t done anything yet but I’ll think of something nice to do at some point.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.