Jack Monroe #359 Hoops I Did It Again

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I did this with the recipes those well meaning but stupid students printed out when they were making food parcels to fit her recipes. I think only one of them had enough calories to come close to a decent meal (like 600 or something)

this is why they are cheap. They wouldn’t sustain health! She’s a fucking con artist of the highest magnitude.

Reactions: 53
And this is why the greedy goblin has to snaffle the whole pan....

Thank you for this, I'm far too lazy to have ever done it myself but shows what a farce the 24p (pluck a number less than a Miguel recipe from the air) per serving is.

Reactions: 28
She's completely lost the fucking plot. Take a break pal. Maybe a nice fall down the stairs? That normally makes you feel better.
She could trip over Coops and then just as she's getting up Content could leap at her sending her flying backwards. Then her trousers fall down and the Vicar comes to the door. It would be so funny.

Reactions: 39
Jack, if you are reading this, and I know you are...

You really should have stuck with the rinsed hoops twitter chaos. You (insert fave keystroke) ~sort of~ had that under control when you doubled down with the rinsed hoop glue concoction blog, but no.

Now we have Energy Jack. But this time you (insert fave keystroke) ~really~ don't know what the fuck you are talking about, and multiple people are calling you out for being WRONG.

You see, suggesting that people eat nonsense is one thing, but advising people to fuck with their energy bills is irresponsible at best.

Think on, and maybe, I dunno, check on Content and Coops.

Reactions: 50
The whole Go Easy Pal and the likes. Total cringe. Bet she doesn't even know what salt and sauce is

Reactions: 19
I FEEL SEEN.

I moved up here about 8 years ago and ‘aye’ and ‘wee’ slipped into my vernacular very quickly. And I use ‘outwith’ a lot.

Reactions: 40
BIB - Sometimes the potential thread titles almost write themselves ...

Reactions: 20
I wonder how many of those are Jack signing up to herself, whilst she sneers to herself 'That'll show those pesky Tattlers'
Yes, what I thought-or big Dave. No doubt on the fantasy £1 amount so she can screenshot it as proof.

Reactions: 15
Ok so a close relative of mine works for CAB, and they said this is v dodgy advice. Followed by a bunch of swear words about idiots not helping anybody.

Reactions: 40
The metre talk is giving me unpleasant flashbacks
Jack's 'advice' is very scary. She is dabbling with companies she has a very naive concept of.

Electric people fitted a meter in our rental house about 10 years ago. My OH had said he was paying the bills but just wasn't for some reason. Anyway they didn't smash down any doors but let themselves in. They may have rang the doorbell but my partner had disconnected it unknown to me. I was upstairs and frightened to death. I could hear banging and was too scared to go downstairs. I rang my husband to say there were strangers in the house. He said 'oh yes they're fitting a meter. I meant to tell you'.
The meter was a bloody nightmare. We'd load about £30 and instantly they took off a huge percentage to pay the back debt.

Reactions: 46

I think you're overestimating there.

The beans form less than half a tin, which means taking the sauce off gives nearer 180 calories sans sauce. Stock cubes are about 8 calories each and Tinned tomatoes are under 100 calories for a full tin, so you've got

52+8+44+8+180+94 = 386 or 96.5 kcal per person. And no vitamin D.

Can't be having poor people looking healthy fat, can she?

Reactions: 26
I'm with Octopus energy* on a fixed tariff and they have just introduced a 'balance forecast' which explains in clear plain language and an interactive bar graph how paying your monthly DD at a certain rate actually works to smooth out your bill over the year. The graph was very helpful to me as a non-numerate visual learner and has reassured me that we are paying the right DD now, even if it is horrendously high! I was panicking about why we have to build up credit but seeing the enormous bill forecast for winter usage I now understand.
* Other energy companies may be doing a similar thing?

Reactions: 36
haybox, it’s basically an insulated box that retains heat to cook food. So say you make a stew bring to boil on hob, using just a few mins of fuel, pop it in hay box, (in its pan obviously) it keeps hot and cooking for hours
I remember they were popular on the MSE forum back in the day. Jack periodically claims she's going to do this low energy cooking, but, no surprise, surprise - she never has.

Reactions: 17

Its all getting very Rick isnt it. First the hands up who likes me and now this. Go away petal.

Reactions: 50
I've been really peed off with Energy Jack today. I thought I'd cheer myself up - and any of you needing a laugh - by reading and sharing this epic takedown regarding Covid-19. I'm praying to LJC, people slap Jacksie down in a similar manner (go software squigg! )

Reactions: 90
I remember they were popular on the MSE forum back in the day. Jack periodically claims she's going to do this low energy cooking, but, no surprise, surprise - she never has.

If only there was some sort of cooking pot that enabled you to keep food at a safe temperature for a long period of time at minimal cost. It wouldn't cook things very quickly, but as long as they made this clear in the device name, it would save having to buy wood and build boxes, add insulation and risk food poisoning from inadequately cooked meat or breaking teeth on raw rice.

Reactions: 77
Thanks - yes, you're right I have definitely overestimated on the tin of tomatoes..... in my defence I have just had three Aperol Spritzes at the pub. ;-)
Edit to add - my mistake was to read the kj rather than calories on the tin of tomatoes label.

Reactions: 28
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.