Jack Monroe #352 Hunger Hurts 2: The Difficult Second Album.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Do we have any evidence that it was a "flop house" rather than a guest house. I know there was the news article in the Southend echo about the guys who bought it and what a state it was in etc. But any evidence of the clientele rather than it just being a crappy b&b
There has definitely been a tweet from Jack at some point that said he housed the homeless which she framed as altruism but we realised means he took money from the state to house people in substandard conditions.

195B9A30-63FE-4D91-BEC4-677C26E3051D.png

This comment from the piece about the sale of them implies the place had a terrible reputation and the article talks about what a terrible state it was in. I think weā€™ve put two and two together along the way but Iā€™d love to be able to find the tweet from Jack.

And there was more than one guesthouse so assume he had one nice one for families he deemed respectable and kept the other, shittier ones for the perceived down-and-outs.

eta @BlendedSlop has posted the tweet about the homeless :)

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 48
If Molly is here ... Please share the screenshots of her planning this downsizing months ago so she can get a deposit to buy. It totally shows up here latest blog post sob story for the shameless grift that it is.

(Long time lurker here. I think I actually posted on the very very first Jack thread way back when.)

I put some of those screenshots in this reply. (Iā€™m not Molly though! šŸ˜†)

Doesn't do the same, you appear yellow 'away' after no activity of about 10 mins.
You can set yourself into a Teams meeting with yourself, which will keep you red and ā€œin a meetingā€ regardless of mouse inactivity.

This is our level of grunk survival

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 47
Lifting this beauty from MN as the next thread title nomination.

Jack Monroe campaigns for Jack Monroe to not be in poverty
perfect. But also not even a joke. And itā€™s why her MO works among those who are out of touch. They donā€™t actually see the poorest people benefiting from Jackā€™s actions (such as they are) They donā€™t see people in abject poverty actually saying ā€œwow, Jack has really helped me to eat well on a budgetā€, and they donā€™t see that even the concept of ā€œthis is how to manage on almost nothingā€œ reinforces theidea that itā€™s possible.
what they actually see is that their idea of a poor person occasionally seems less poor and gets nice things. And they see that the existence of a cookbook aimed at the poor gives them a plausible way to believe that the poorest can eat well. And so they see that as demonstrating that sheā€™s good at what she does - because sheā€™s still poor, but occasionally gets the treats she ā€œdeservesā€.
they donā€™t understand that people in actual poverty have to really plan, but also ( and I donā€™t mean this to underplay the impact of having absolutely nothing) they donā€™t get that sheā€™s laying it on very thick, because there are still some safety nets in society that generally mitigate against the absolute worst Dickensian situation that JM seems to talk about. Those safety nets arenā€™t good enough, and itā€™s particularly depressing that food banks have to pick up the slack, but the actual reality of living in that situation is much more like grinding tedium and nagging worry about things getting worse - and, ironically, dealing with the actual Vimes Boots issue whereby basic essentials end up costing more - than like Jack making poverty seem like a series of sporadic crises resulting in selling material goods accrued during the Good Times, but the reality is that those situations, where she writes about poverty with the most emotive, heightened language possible, isnā€™t about poverty but about bad management of resources. And it really, really, isnā€™t helpful to the poorest to conflate the two.

i can see the seams in Jackā€™s story because I can totally identify with impulsive spending and not being great at money management. Even now when Iā€™m secure, I have a monthly budget because I know that without it Iā€™d spend stupidly (and even within that, I have to remind myself not to buy nice trests at the start of the month, but to wait until Iā€™ve got left over disposable income once iā€™m three weeks in)

• Heart
Reactions: 49
That seems to be the implication from here (soz if already posted, still grunking from two threads ago)

View attachment 1471069

Also an example of the classic Jack disingenuity, saying Big Dave inherited "a" flat, not the three properties he actually got (hope I've got that right - paging @heretoreaditall2019 )
I think that this was in the era when housing benefit went directly to the landlord so I doubt it's the cutesty taverna style place that Jack fondly remembers with her misty eyed rhetoric.

• Heart
Reactions: 49
I also find it odd with Jack how she said she did a practise run for buying a house- what even is that? Did she seriously waste an estate agent, sellers and mortgage brokers time essentially 'window shopping' with no intention of buying?

It's so easy nowadays to find online calculators and credit checks so you can see what budget and the likelihood is of getting a mortgage so there was absolutely no need for a performative 'practice run'
i think wasting an estate agentā€™s time is probably a tick in the ā€œproā€ JM box, to be honest. But seriously, I donā€™t think thatā€™s that bad. Itā€™s definitely a good idea to get a feel for how estate agents etc works before youā€™re in the situation with real stakes

• Sad
  • Haha
Reactions: 19
Did her grandad know about The Poverty before he died? Was it all an attempt to be left something directly in his will? Which didnā€™t work and lead to the mother of all hissy fits when Big Dave didnā€™t hand over what she felt she was entitled to. She has always said she was close to her grandad so maybe felt she was a special grandchild who deserved remembering.
As with everything, weā€™ll never know the truth and her grandfather is DEAD.

ETA Jenny numbers beat me to it theorising it was a last ditch attempt to be added to the will. Go well, pal.

• Haha
Reactions: 43
i think wasting an estate agentā€™s time is probably a tick in the ā€œproā€ JM box, to be honest. But seriously, I donā€™t think thatā€™s that bad. Itā€™s definitely a good idea to get a feel for how estate agents etc works before youā€™re in the situation with real stakes
Again this makes no sense as an estate agent is similar as a letting agent (often they'll have both let's and sales) so she should have ample experience what with all the times she's moved and not waste people's time. There are also plenty of articles, services such as the citizens advice for budgeting, etc and information online about buying houses,etc- absolutely no reason for practice runs.

Reactions: 19
I think that this was in the era when housing benefit went directly to the landlord so I doubt it's the cutesty taverna style place that Jack fondly remembers with her misty eyed rhetoric.
Indeed. Grandad did also have a restaurant, called Bella Pais. If it's the same one coming up, it's still open as a Greek steakhouse.

• Wow
Reactions: 41
Did her grandad know about The Poverty before he died? Was it all an attempt to be left something directly in his will? Which didnā€™t work and lead to the mother of all hissy fits when Big Dave didnā€™t hand over what she felt she was entitled to. She has always said she was close to her grandad so maybe felt she was a special grandchild who deserved remembering.
As with everything, weā€™ll never know the truth and her grandfather is DEAD.
He died in November 2012 which may have led Jack that she wouldn't have to work for much longer šŸ¤”

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 44
He died in November 2012 which may have led Jack that she wouldn't have to work for much longer šŸ¤”
i honestly believe she thought either grandpappy, big Dave or the council would bail out poor old single mamapapa Jack and the monster was born when none of them did.

• Heart
Reactions: 53
It still shows "last seen" based on your keyboard activity though. I have colleagues set as "busy" 24/7 and sometimes they show as "last seen 2 days ago" when it's Wednesday at noon
I am fascinated by what jobs these people doā€¦ in the jobs Iā€™ve had I have so many regular tasks that need to be done I could never get away with this (accountant)

Even Jack could do one of these jobs, surely.

Doesn't do the same, you appear yellow 'away' after no activity of about 10 mins.
Ah Iā€™ve only used it while still using my laptop a bit

• Haha
Reactions: 17
Again this makes no sense as an estate agent is similar as a letting agent (often they'll have both let's and sales) so she should have ample experience what with all the times she's moved and not waste people's time. There are also plenty of articles, services such as the citizens advice for budgeting, etc and information online about buying houses,etc- absolutely no reason for practice runs.
totally different dynamic though depending on whether your interaction is as a renter, a buyer, a landlord etc. not saying there arenā€™t other ways to work out approaches, just that it really doesnā€™t stand up as a ā€œand now THISā€.

its like the alcohol free beer thing from yesterday - as a total newcomer to this, when I saw direct contradictions, weird stuff around patreon and embarrassing obviously untrue things, that got me onboard. If Iā€™d seen ā€œshe wastes estate agent time and drinks o.5 speckled hen while claiming to be off the boozeā€, Iā€™d have eye rolled and thought ā€œJesus, people were right when they said JM gets subjected to weird accusationsā€

• Sad
Reactions: 29
totally different dynamic though depending on whether your interaction is as a renter, a buyer, a landlord etc. not saying there arenā€™t other ways to work out approaches, just that it really doesnā€™t stand up as a ā€œand now THISā€.

its like the alcohol free beer thing from yesterday - as a total newcomer to this, when I saw direct contradictions, weird stuff around patreon and embarrassing obviously untrue things, that got me onboard. If Iā€™d seen ā€œshe wastes estate agent time and drinks o.5 speckled hen while claiming to be off the boozeā€, Iā€™d have eye rolled and thought ā€œJesus, people were right when they said JM gets subjected to weird accusationsā€
We'll have to agree to disagree. I actually work in housing and it's inappropriate to window shop for houses in this way, especially when there's a housing crisis and people in the housing industry are being overworked and trying to help genuine buyers. It's just another way Jack makes herself and her time more important than everyone elses.

Reactions: 30
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.