Jack Monroe #352 Hunger Hurts 2: The Difficult Second Album.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I just want to add (as someone who doesn’t drink, who isn’t in AA, but comes from a psychology background), there are numerous psychological reasons why “alcohol-free” or low alcohol drinks (beer, gin, seedlip type thing) should be avoided by those who are struggling. These reasons generally include the triggering of behavioural cues, either by taste (not the actual alcohol content), memory or smell. Other factors are involved but a long OT spoiler will be required.
I am in no way as qualified to speak on this area as others (HTRIA for example), but I just wanted to say that it isn’t just the actual alcohol content in these drinks that is problematic, it is so, so much more. There are degree programmes on it.
Also wrt this, didn't she tweet a while ago about definitely not having low alcohol drinks because of the above reasons and then a couple of months later, she started going on about how much she enjoyed them? Just another example of her nonsense.

• Heart
Reactions: 59
I mean this with all due respect and appreciate you are new so please don’t take this as a kick to the shins or dog piling - but the posts re 0.5% ABV alcohol are coming from people in the fellowship with years / more like decades of recovery between us all? It is incredibly important to point out that Jack is simultaneously pushing herself as AA poster girl (in breach of traditions) whilst also sharing dangerous advice with vulnerable newcomers, like drinking these “alcohol free” drinks and using booze in cooking, this directly contradicts advice in the “living sober” book which even goes as far as to advise avoiding wet places and keeping any booze in the home, you wouldn’t even use a mouth wash or shaving foam containing alcohol. It’s really, really not on and I’m sorry but your repeated hammering of this point isn’t really fair when you’re seemingly not in the rooms (correct me if I’m wrong pls) so arguably not equipped to comment on what is or isn’t safe for people in recovery? It’s a privilege to think caring about this stuff is weird. 🤷🏻‍♀️
no offence taken, I’m not taking disagreement as dogpiling, and I’m up for being corrected where I’m wrong. for clarity though, what I referred to wasn’t related to any claims about AA, but was in context of a poster suggesting that drinking alcohol free beer during a period of claiming to be off the booze was evidence of hypocrisy or lying. I would absolutely accept that highlighting the contradiction between framing oneself as an AA poster girl and then behaving at odds with AA is a direct contradiction that can be fairly highlighted - but it’s that contradiction that’s the crucial one in convincing anyone of anything, not “claiming to be sober but drinking alcohol free beers”.

For those who aren’t familiar with/don’t use AA, the idea of drinking alcohol free beers while abstaining is utterly mundane, and there are lots of people who successfully recalibrate their problematic/habitual drinking by using alternative/alcohol free beers as a manageable way of changing habits.
As @TbilisiPeach delineated above though, there’s obviously a difference between making a point in a way that is an attempt to convince newcomers to Jack’s actions, and between casual discussion when you’re already very familiar with it.
As I joined in the wake of the twitter thread, I was definitely calibrated towards interpreting posts as “ooh this‘ll be good if it got seen” vs “hmmm, if I’d seen that I wouldn’t think it showed anything weird at all”, but after a day or so of reading, I get that these threads arent designed to convince anyone but to discuss amongst those who already get it.
I may have misread the room in that respect, though I joined up specifically because quite a few people were saying they’d be interested in the perspective of newcomers after the JM is a grifter thing went mainstream, so I engaged as a newcomer, being straightforward about how this stuff reads to someone who has only just gone down the rabbit hole

• Heart
Reactions: 78
They are agog at the lies that they had believed. These are the sorts of people who have booked her to talk about poverty and have bought her books and sent her money.

Jack has lost all credibility, as have some of the blue ticks and big accounts still defending her.
Ooft that'll do 🥰

• Haha
Reactions: 33
She probably just dropped it a few feet away from Jack. Not sure a pub gardenia the first place I’d think of to visit with a 6yr old and a *checks notes* dog…..?
And she says "she downed multiple pints and shots." What in the space of an hour? Come on jack

• Haha
Reactions: 29
I think it’s easy to underestimate the impact of Molly's threads. If we look at likes and retweets it doesn’t look that much (in comparison to Jack's 550k followers), but people are talking about this elsewhere too.
Someone contacted me to say that private groups on Facebook and Whatsapp are sharing this and not commenting on twitter because of FM and fear of Jack “doing something stupid”. This includes media and politics people with influence (sorry I can’t be more specific but 🔺 ), they are getting their own receipts and doing a deep dive into her old blog posts/articles - including things I’d never read before.
They are agog at the lies that they had believed. These are the sorts of people who have booked her to talk about poverty and have bought her books and sent her money.

Jack has lost all credibility, as have some of the blue ticks and big accounts still defending her.
This gives me the warm fuzzies

• Heart
Reactions: 32
They've got a setting where they can make posts/threads/sections not searchable - it's used on a section called OTBT (off the beaten track), for a start.
Sneaky. I can access it on my computer but not on my phone as I have the app. Having a good read through!

Reactions: 15
Who calls their mum bu their first name? Weird.

Also fair enough she wants to hold her hands close to her chest, but i would honestly love to hear the truth from OH, LJC, her family. Just someone to come out with proper evidence to put everything to bed.

It would definitely make everything much easier for hervin the long run, unless theres truth in the 'lies'

Reactions: 23
Morning tatts! It's national boob day. Go well, pals View attachment 1471080
Blue footed boobies! What a delight! Hello pals, we don’t usually get to to see you or your red footed friends in these here parts.

Is it just me, or do they look like they’re kind of up to date on the latest chaos? I feel I have pulled both these expressions more than once in the past couple of days

A841F010-1C96-49FF-A748-03614AF76104.jpeg

C7156C0A-1DD0-4C56-87FA-B6A8E44AC0BC.jpeg

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 66
Also wrt this, didn't she tweet a while ago about definitely not having low alcohol drinks because of the above reasons and then a couple of months later, she started going on about how much she enjoyed them? Just another example of her nonsense.
There was definitely a point where she slagged them all off saying they were disgusting.

Granted, AF wine is revolting, but the "gins" and such are quite nice. I'm not an AA frau, but I drink a lot of the alc-alternatives just because I like them (and get furious gin fear if I drink too much). It seemed such a stupid thing for her to wang on about - oh, they're all gross etc. one minute and loving them the next. Ok Jack.

Reactions: 30
no offence taken, I’m not taking disagreement as dogpiling, and I’m up for being corrected where I’m wrong. for clarity though, what I referred to wasn’t related to any claims about AA, but was in context of a poster suggesting that drinking alcohol free beer during a period of claiming to be off the booze was evidence of hypocrisy or lying. I would absolutely accept that highlighting the contradiction between framing oneself as an AA poster girl and then behaving at odds with AA is a direct contradiction that can be fairly highlighted - but it’s that contradiction that’s the crucial one in convincing anyone of anything, not “claiming to be sober but drinking alcohol free beers”.

For those who aren’t familiar with/don’t use AA, the idea of drinking alcohol free beers while abstaining is utterly mundane, and there are lots of people who successfully recalibrate their problematic/habitual drinking by using alternative/alcohol free beers as a manageable way of changing habits.
As @TbilisiPeach delineated above though, there’s obviously a difference between making a point in a way that is an attempt to convince newcomers to Jack’s actions, and between casual discussion when you’re already very familiar with it.
As I joined in the wake of the twitter thread, I was definitely calibrated towards interpreting posts as “ooh this‘ll be good if it got seen” vs “hmmm, if I’d seen that I wouldn’t think it showed anything weird at all”, but after a day or so of reading, I get that these threads arent designed to convince anyone but to discuss amongst those who already get it.
I may have misread the room in that respect, though I joined up specifically because quite a few people were saying they’d be interested in the perspective of newcomers after the JM is a grifter thing went mainstream, so I engaged as a newcomer, being straightforward about how this stuff reads to someone who has only just gone down the rabbit hole
Exactly this. We aren’t really here to convince anybody, that’s not really the function of this board. We are ( or were ) a safe haven for those who realised that there was something very dodgy about the darling of the left and couldn’t get a single person to believe us.
You are very very welcome here and it’s lovely to hear a fresh voice xx

• Heart
Reactions: 73
Just reading the MN thread and have some thoughts that it’s hard when we are all grunking to remember that lots of people who like her probably don’t give her much thought and see the odd tweet and believe it (not like the bonkers ones) but there’s a few on that thread saying oh I thought she was a good one and now realise not. And the mollie thread is the first thing that’s cut through to them plus there seems to be quite a few people that like a lot of us had a feeling something wasn’t quite right but hadn’t looked any further into it but now are realising they were right. And as a result it seems to be snowballing. I’m not sure she will be cancelled but I’d be surprised if she got such a windfall again as she did earlier this week.

Also do we know the reason why her son is mostly with his dad. It’s quite unusual for mum not to be main parent.

• Heart
Reactions: 37
I’ve honestly never known anyone so allergic to the truth (apart from the girl I went to school with who used to say she was pregnant every two weeks for attention)

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 44
Can we all take a moment ( I think we need reminding about where things began).

a) how is this breakfast?
b) the towel used as a tablecloth is foul
c) if you had rocket in the morning surely you would taste it for the rest of the day?

5936D759-0E86-443E-844F-DF459CE494AC.jpeg

• Sick
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 67
Just reading the MN thread and have some thoughts that it’s hard when we are all grunking to remember that lots of people who like her probably don’t give her much thought and see the odd tweet and believe it (not like the bonkers ones) but there’s a few on that thread saying oh I thought she was a good one and now realise not. And the mollie thread is the first thing that’s cut through to them plus there seems to be quite a few people that like a lot of us had a feeling something wasn’t quite right but hadn’t looked any further into it but now are realising they were right. And as a result it seems to be snowballing. I’m not sure she will be cancelled but I’d be surprised if she got such a windfall again as she did earlier this week.

Also do we know the reason why her son is mostly with his dad. It’s quite unusual for mum not to be main parent.
We don't know why SB lives with his dad but if it suits all of them then it's not really any of our business. My gripe is Jack pretending that she is a single mother.

• Heart
Reactions: 84

I suspect it's health related. I realise not everything she says about her health can be taken seriously but she's quite obviously mentally ill and possibly has some other addiction issues.

• Heart
Reactions: 36

c) if you had rocket in the morning surely you would taste it for the rest of the day?

View attachment 1471257
At times like this, when her grifting, lying and other more objectionable qualities are at the forefront of the discussion, it's nice to have a reminder of what a terrible, terrible cook she is.

Literally everything she makes looks like the contents of a blocked toilet, something dredged from the depths of a pond, or, as above, viscera. It's quite the talent.

• Haha
Reactions: 55

View attachment 1471257
There's so much going on here. I assume it's that colour because she loves beetroot. But I don't understand why there are bits of what I can only assume is very wet meat...?

Screenshot 2022-08-04 at 12.02.57.png
Screenshot 2022-08-04 at 12.03.11.png

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 40
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.