Jack Monroe #343 A heavy dose of chickpea and loathing

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Glaswegian fraus, can we blame Jack's visit and influence for the Chip going full metal chain, in restaurant parlance?
For the non-locals, a well-established fancy West End restaurant in Glasgow which is one of three differently-named/themed hostelries owned by a local family (microchain?) has been bought by a national pub macrochain.
ruined for me by a) Sarah Vine mis-naming it The Ubiquitous Fish one time and forever making me laugh and b) not being that good really.

• Haha
Reactions: 23
I've been browsing her blog. In her sponsored sleep outside post she whines on and on about how awful if was for her because she used to be so afraid of losing her flat. She's never slept rough (obvs). There's also a great poem that some ninnies might not have seen yet, so tuck in! Note her "middle class" voice, clearly before she got too working class for the beeb. Why was even she on the radio?!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 38
oh no sorry, I understand that bit. It’s what Jack’s trying to do I don’t understand.
I really don't think anyone, including Jack, does.
I don't understand its application. Surely unless she updates it on a very regular basis it is basically just a snapshot of prices at one particular time. More a historical document than anything else.
And she simply is too disorganised and idle to actually update it.
I genuinely don't believe she has done one thing toward it.
She hoped she could quietly drop it. It is crazy anyone thinks it actually exists.
The most galling thing is people joined her patreon and donated to her PayPal to 'free her up' to do it.

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 48
Glaswegian fraus, can we blame Jack's visit and influence for the Chip going full metal chain, in restaurant parlance?
For the non-locals, a well-established fancy West End restaurant in Glasgow which is one of three differently-named/themed hostelries owned by a local family (microchain?) has been bought by a national pub macrochain.
Oh my god; it took the wind from my sails when I found out the Chip also owned the Bike Shop. To find out they were being taken over by Greene King of all boring AF chains?
Utterly unbelievable.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 23
Why would it matter to an employer that someone is a sole trader or a limited company? It’s just a different way of reporting (and taxing) income earned. Both are sole traders really!
Because HMRC are clamping down, and have threatened the employers with liability for tax, if the freelancers/contractors don’t pay. This is part of what caused the furore at the bbc.

Also, what some ‘freelancers' fail to appreciate, HMRC know what they have been paid, even if they don’t declare it. Because the employer has already told them. As I said up thread, IT is a perfect example you cannot work for Bank of England, cabinet office, police, mod, doh, bt, freemantle media, etc etc as a sole trader, but then we are not just popping in for 10 mins like mackie.

I have no idea about patreon, but I would be Surprised if they do not have to submit.

Reactions: 33
I've been browsing her blog. In her sponsored sleep outside post she whines on and on about how awful if was for her because she used to be so afraid of losing her flat. She's never slept rough (obvs). There's also a great poem that some ninnies might not have seen yet, so tuck in! Note her "middle class" voice, clearly before she got too working class for the beeb. Why was even she on the radio?!

Christ alive!
I am SO grateful there WAS no music to that.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 30
Is she actually a master troll working to prod Jack into ever more deranged vengeance, ultimately ousting her from the publishers’ roster and public life?? Or is she just a really out of touch middle class middle aged lady with absolutely no place being a therapist? Either way, I love it.
*Immediately writes a four act play about a dodgy therapist who actively tries to destroy her clients lives to keep herself in work*
I love the thought that they'll have a big falling out and build escalating spite houses into the clouds.

• Haha
Reactions: 32

I've had births less painful than these lyrics.

• Haha
Reactions: 53
I think she is eager to impress and gets carried away, so if the journalist didn't appear that moved by The Poverty she'd think nothing of chucking in a new detail like sleeping rough to spice the story up.
True. She’s absolutely addicted to attention, good or bad. The journalist who interviewed her seems to be a seasoned pro who has done a lot of international reporting, so probably didn’t give the big emotional response Jack is used to (because journalists are supposed to be neutral). Jack then took this as - she’s not impressed by my story, must escalate.

• Haha
Reactions: 46
People have explained why Jack's parents might not correct her BS, but it makes zero sense to me that no one else in her life says anything. I don't understand how she regularly comes out with such audacious (in the negative sense) stories but nobody thinks to correct her. I suppose her current friends want to avoid arguments, and perhaps the other people in JM's life just don't care enough (which is quite telling in itself!). I can't believe the way she constantly makes ridiculous claims that are printed in reputable newspapers, yet gets away without any repercussions.
Lucy-A gave a good insight that Jack hasn't got any IRL friends. You'd feel bad for her, but it's her own fault, she's a hideous kinda person. If someone becomes her friend she soon makes them regret it. Look at Spaniel Friend and her concern on Content.

She's odious. People probably have called her out in reality, she dumps and ghosts them, just like Twitter. (imo.)

Reactions: 39
Because HMRC are clamping down, and have threatened the employers with liability for tax, if the freelancers/contractors don’t pay. This is part of what caused the furore at the bbc.

Also, what some ‘freelancers' fail to appreciate, HMRC know what they have been paid, even if they don’t declare it. Because the employer has already told them. As I said up thread, IT is a perfect example you cannot work for Bank of England, cabinet office, police, mod, doh, bt, freemantle media, etc etc as a sole trader, but then we are not just popping in for 10 mins like mackie.

I have no idea about patreon, but I would be Surprised if they do not have to submit.
Oh yeah I get the whole BBC arrangement, but I’m not sure that they can make employers employ staff on a PAYE basis. Although that may be where the whole IR35 comes in.

HMRC don’t know about self employment income. It’s only PAYE income that is reported by employers. Jack can realistically get away with not declaring the Patreon income because HMRC can’t question income from self employment unless they suspect fraud.

Reactions: 20
Oh my god; it took the wind from my sails when I found out the Chip also owned the Bike Shop. To find out they were being taken over by Greene King of all boring AF chains?
Utterly unbelievable.
I’ll grant you - the bike shop is fricking amazing.

Reactions: 13
Just wanted to inform the canal that there's an old folk song called 'Barbara Allen' which is sometimes known as 'Barbry Allen'. My mind has now changed the lyrics to -
🎵 if your name be Borbry Allen 🎵

Lucy-A gave a good insight that Jack hasn't got any IRL friends. You'd feel bad for her, but it's her own fault, she's a hideous kinda person. If someone becomes her friend she soon makes them regret it. Look at Spaniel Friend and her concern on Content.

She's odious. People probably have called her out in reality, she dumps and ghosts them, just like Twitter. (imo.)
Yeah that could be true :( Even if it's Jack's fault, I still think it's a sad situation. Imagine driving away all your friends and not developing enough self-awareness to notice that you're the problem.

Reactions: 22
I reckon she set up the LTD company as heard it was more tax efficient.. but perhaps didn’t realise that would mean her income would be a public record.

View attachment 1432359
I was about to say the same thing.

@MsGilmore she was definitely listed as Director (the one and only).

I suspect @Mrs Peel that as GriftyMcGriftFace (best name :LOL: ) suggested, she took advice from her accountant (although in something I read this afternoon, she listed herself as accountant, in a long list of job titles she held - if that's the case, it would have been bad advice, but I digress) and set up the company to reduce her tax burden.

As mentioned previously, I did a lot of accounts for small businesses, some were limited and some just sole traders who needed a helping hand. One such business (hopefully none of the directors are on here or I could🔺myself :censored:) had 3 directors, each holding a share worth £1 each, of which 3 were issued. They were also all self employed. From the business, they received dividends - which were pretty impressive amounts as it was an extremely profitable company - and only "earned" a couple of quid under the threshold for paying tax. Essentially, at that particular time, they were legally earning around £8,500 and not paying tax. Their dividends were taxable in accordance with the current rates at the time, but this still worked out beneficially for them. They also had director's loans, but I wasn't involved in that so no idea if that would also be beneficial - I'm guessing it would be or why do it (I believe the company pays tax on them, but it wasn't my area of expertise so can't really say without digging).
Rather cleverly, :unsure: they bought a cheap building between them, then rented it to the company as premises, earning themselves a massive payment each month in rental income! This more than covered the refurbishment required as well as giving them a wad of cash! Somehow this was tax free but I never understood why (their official accountant looked after that part when I submitted my part of the accounts to him).

Apologies for rambling, I guess what I'm trying to say is that Jack's accountant will definitely have worked out the most tax-efficient way for her to operate. But if she didn't keep on top of stuff - and she obviously didn't - then it was a complete waste of time.:sneaky:

In my opinion, and this is just a guess, I'd say she definitely wouldn't have been showing any PayPal donations (from whatever source) as income in her self-assessment submissions. Unless they have reason to doubt what you're submitting, in my experience HMRC generally don't chase up thousands of sole traders for proof of income, so she could be getting away with all sorts.:mad:

Last edited:
Reactions: 33

I think of the legendary romantic lovers - Romeo and Juliet, Anthony and Cleopatra, Dido and Aeneas - and reflect that none of them adored each other as much as Jack Monroe loves Jack Monroe.

• Haha
Reactions: 47
I mentioned in the previous thread that it's possible she was both the director of the company that was struck off and a sole trader. The company may have been set up but never actually used to report income. That might explain why she never bothered to keep the information up to date.
It did file one set of accounts showing just under £16k of assets and £28k of creditors, plus had a CCJ registered against it, so it was actively trading at some point.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 41
I made a nice grid collage of a time when the lights were on.

View attachment 1432542
duck me, I pity poor Matt for being on the receiving end of THIS look.

I think I’d have called the Police, and set off the fire alarms and sprinklers simultaneously in the hope that at least one of the emergency services would get there very quickly to save and protect me.
2617A346-9C55-461E-BFCD-2F8533D8C367.jpeg

It’s truly hard to tell if she wants to shag him, eviscerate and eat him, or a little from column A, a little from column B.

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 68
duck me, I pity poor Matt for being on the receiving end of THIS look.

I think I’d have called the Police and set off the fire alarms simultaneously in the hope that at least one of the emergency services would get there very quickly to protect me.
View attachment 1432555

It’s hard to tell if she wants to shag him, eviscerate him, or a little from column A a little from column B.
We ARE quite the cheeky li'l duo AREN'T WE MATT"

• Haha
Reactions: 55
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.