Jack Monroe #336 Her writing style makes me wish I’d never learnt to read

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve been holding this in for the last 24 hours at least but WHY does Jack’s constant use of “whole damn” infuriate me SO much?! For someone seemingly so flipping verbose I expected more. (Or did I? I don’t even know anymore)

• Haha
Reactions: 61
I found Cooking on a Bootstrap in Oxfam in Clifton, Bristol. Which says all you need to know about who is buying her books lol.

• Haha
Reactions: 72
I found Cooking on a Bootstrap in Oxfam in Clifton, Bristol. Which says all you need to know about who is buying her books lol.
Just imagining all those students whose parents have bought them the luxury apartment and the entry-level Merc, and sending them off to Uni with a copy of a budget cook book. It's really an analogy for Jack's grift.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 66
This feels rather redundant given yesterday's literary/anarchist chaos, but have we had any hint on how the visits from the accountant and OH went?
It is so weird that not a single squiggle has asked her. Not one.

She was telling her 500k followers all about her busy day and all the meetings she had and nobody is bothered enough to ask how they went.

It shows how little they really care. If she never tweeted again not a single person would notice.

• Haha
Reactions: 62

She was telling her 500k followers all about her busy day and all the meetings she had and nobody is bothered enough to ask how they went.

It shows how little they really care. If she never tweeted again not a single person would notice.
I think even her most committed FMs know that she's full of it.

Reactions: 30
I’ve been holding this in for the last 24 hours at least but WHY does Jack’s constant use of “whole damn” infuriate me SO much?! For someone seemingly so flipping verbose I expected more. (Or did I? I don’t even know anymore)
I was wondering if it bugged anyone else as much as me!

Reactions: 32
I'm still thinking about the prat who claimed during the 70s on a council estate a burglar burgled a house for food and left a sweet apology note. I grew up on a council estate in the 70s. My family was poor. We ran out of food at the end of each week and on pay day my dad would go get food in his lunch break and bring it to the house so we could have lunch.

People shared with neighbours in need, either food or labour or time. We didn't burgle each other. If you're the sort of person who would rob someone you'll do it for whatever reason. If that's not you and your kids are hungry, you'll swallow your pride and knock on doors asking for a loaf of bread.

These idiots playing Jack's game turn my stomach. They make people think if I'm struggling to feed my kid or get formula, I can't tell the school or the health visitor or turn to a neighbour or friend because I might lose my kid (that was Jack's version of why she had to endure The Poverty in Noble Silence) so it's better to risk an arrest or even a conviction for shoplifting or burglary.

• Heart
Reactions: 83

Ninnies would

• Haha
Reactions: 37
Shouldn't it be "whole damned" anyway?

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 47
I'm still grunking the last thread but I'd just like to wholeheartedly thank anyone who posted the sideboard thot shots and nip slip. I woke up having dreamed I got nominated to take one for the team and go on a Tinder date with Jack. Two heavily disguised Frauen followed along to keep an eye on things (can't remember who sorry) and - after a monorail crash interlude and some other bullshit - I realised I was now getting married to her, she was trying to get me to pay her for the catering which she DID NOT DO and I ended up having to escape through an overly complex hedge maze covered in huge portraits of various iterations of Jack.

I'm not reading through this thread before bed ever again. I actually remember trying to explain to you all that she's 'fun to spend time with really she's just a complete conwoman' and believing myself.

• Haha
Reactions: 95
I'm still thinking about the prat who claimed during the 70s on a council estate a burglar burgled a house for food and left a sweet apology note. I grew up on a council estate in the 70s. My family was poor. We ran out of food at the end of each week and on pay day my dad would go get food in his lunch break and bring it to the house so we could have lunch.

People shared with neighbours in need, either food or labour or time. We didn't burgle each other. If you're the sort of person who would rob someone you'll do it for whatever reason. If that's not you and your kids are hungry, you'll swallow your pride and knock on doors asking for a loaf of bread.

These idiots playing Jack's game turn my stomach. They make people think if I'm struggling to feed my kid or get formula, I can't tell the school or the health visitor or turn to a neighbour or friend because I might lose my kid (that was Jack's version of why she had to endure The Poverty in Noble Silence) so it's better to risk an arrest or even a conviction for shoplifting or burglary.
100% this.

I couldn't count the number of times I was asked to "nip to auntie so and so and see if she's got a few spuds I can borrow". Or shilling for the meter, or few rounds of bread, or a bucket of coal for the fire.

By the way, everyone was our auntie, as most of my true aunties lived in Wales.

• Heart
Reactions: 92

It's completely irresponsible. The fact is, we do have a safety net (not just food banks ) and Jack could really be highlighting them. As an example, we are a 'vulnerable' family and we get frequent letters from my (Tory controlled) council informing me they have funds for emergency help if needed. I haven't needed to turn to them yet, but it's comforting to know that help is there.
I really dislike her attempts to paint our society as a dystopian 'third world' hell hole with hordes of desperate people on the brink of starvation. It really isn't like that. Things are tough for a lot of people at the moment, and of course there are problems, but lets have some balance here.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 75
I'm still grunking the last thread but I'd just like to wholeheartedly thank anyone who posted the sideboard thot shots and nip slip. I woke up having dreamed I got nominated to take one for the team and go on a Tinder date with Jack. Two heavily disguised Frauen followed along to keep an eye on things (can't remember who sorry) and - after a monorail crash interlude and some other bullshit - I realised I was now getting married to her, she was trying to get me to pay her for the catering which she DID NOT DO and I ended up having to escape through an overly complex hedge maze covered in huge portraits of various iterations of Jack.

I'm not reading through this thread before bed ever again. I actually remember trying to explain to you all that she's 'fun to spend time with really she's just a complete conwoman' and believing myself.
Uuuurgh! I once had a nightmare that was so vivid and terrifying that I jumped out of bed still mostly asleep to escape, crashed into the bedroom wall and crumpled to the floor. That nightmare pales in comparison with a dream where Jack’s about to “wife you right up”. Sending sympathyos and brain bleachos

ETA were you perchance also eating nightmeat before bedtime? That’ll do it every time 😆

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 53
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.