Jack Monroe #335 Boob, I guess

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
A few immediate thoughts (and I only skim read it)

- She better have permission for every. single. story. Although I doubt it will go beyond those reported in the press. The idea she did any primary research is laughable.

- For a book/chapter about other people, she talks about herself a lot.

-The hunger names is a crass title

- Like many people she falls into the trap that using big words makes you look clever, when it's actually the opposite (there's actually research behind this too!)

- She has crawled so far up her own arse with the fawning publisher bollocks she's almost disappeared.
I don’t understand how you can just publish stuff like this without ethical approval? The loops (I) researchers had to go through to publish opinions of unnamed people were mind boggling. That was 20 and 10 years ago, let alone now.

Am I on a different planet?

• Heart
Reactions: 84
Lots of you have already said it, but The Hunger Names (just typing it to quote makes me feel a bit icky) is so crass and so grim. How long do you think she sat around patting herself on the head for her word smithing genius after inventing that bit of tawdry punning. So. Much. Ick.

I'm also here for @colouredlines red pen. Please. It would cheer me up.

• Heart
Reactions: 89
She started out as a political commentator? Sorry, what? Discussions about the state of the world with your colleagues or friends doesn't equate to you being a political commentator.

Love how she has conveniently ignored the growing din of dissent around her Patreon on Twitter yesterday and then drops this. So gauche. On form, then.

And what happened to all the appointments yesterday?! More lies? Surely not!

I have lost all hope that she will ever get caught out and be held accountable. The grift will continue unabated forever. 😭😭😭😡😡😡

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 66
On a permagrunk at the moment but just dropping in to say that this thread title made me owl champagne like a madwoman. 💕

• Haha
Reactions: 32
Lots of you have already said it, but The Hunger Names (just typing it to quote makes me feel a bit icky) is so crass and so grim. How long do you think she sat around patting herself on the head for her word smithing genius after inventing that bit of tawdry punning. So. Much. Ick.

I'm also here for @colouredlines red pen. Please. It would cheer me up.
Can't even bring myself to do that, the line about stories being buried "along with their brittle bones" is just too disgusting to contemplate. She is a sick ghoul.

On a much lighter note, yesterday I bought the ingredients to make Jack's most notorious recipe. Everyone's invited to my Pumble Party!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 88
Yeah this is much less fun, I want her to release her book of bonkers thrifty tips so I can laugh at table salt in the bath. My mind usually just starts skimming at the third overwrought metaphor so all her oh so breathless searing political hot takes are actually unreadable for me.

• Heart
Reactions: 49
It wouldn’t even scrape a C in a GCSE English class.
Well it wouldn’t because it isn’t writing to persuade.

You could say it is creative writing because some of it is made up bollocks.

(not up to speed with current English spec so happy to be corrected here 😂).

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 35
God her writing is painful to read. Like a poundshop Nigella.

• Haha
Reactions: 90
Jeeezzzzzz. I need some time to digest that florid purple mess, but my initial thoughts are:

1. She loves an extended metaphor doesn't she. Problem is, you need to be a really, REALLY skilled writer to get away with just one of those, enever mind a whole traffic jam of them. Jack, er, isn't skilled enough.
2. Style is too dense and difficult to read, and half of it's metaphorical so very difficult to follow.
3. Clarity and simplicity in writing are harder to do, but a joy when done well. Problem is that if an editor stripped this word lasagna right back to try to find the central points, there wouldn't be much there.
4. It's irresponsible as duck to combine the hunger arising from anorexia and the hunger arising from poverty. Not just because anorexia is a serious mental illness with the highest level of fatality of all mental illnesses, but because it does not usually have the same aetiology as economic hunger arising from poverty. (There is some crossover in behaviours observed in some clinical trials like the Minnesota Experiment but these trials are problematic in their methodology, so....no.)Two completely different things. Don't confuse them Jack. Highly damaging.
5. Really, really irresponsible and against all expert guidance to attribute suicide to a single cause. If she's referring to some of the tragic cases mentioned in the media over the last 12 years, in the two I can think of, there were other acknowledged aggravating factors. Really bleeping irresponsible and damaging.
6. bleeping PHEASANT??????

Sorry for all the swearing @MancBee but this piece of writing really is terrible, both stylistically and in terms of the thought processes behind it. So self-indulgent. She carries the names of the dead engraven on her heart???? What kind of onanistic martyrdom fetish is this?

Whoever Jack's editor is...I feel for you. You know what you need to do here. Red pen. Strikethrough. Good luck.

ETA - Jack, if you want to write a 'Greek travelogue', you'll actually have to go to Greece

ETA 2 - I'm glad you've vaxxed your dog.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 110
I’m genuinely shocked at this. She’s definitely getting worse as time goes on. She is irresponsible, crass, insensitive, wrong and blatantly lying (I have my friends found to eat on rotation. Sure Jan).

But do you know what’s worse? That there is actually someone willing to publish this. Shame on them. The use of language is terrible and I don’t believe for a second she has spoken to the families of a single person she says died as a result of austerity. Surely any decent publisher would be turning this garbage away? I guess we’ve only got her word that this will happen so for once, I hope she’s lying out her arse and this never sees the light of day again.

• Heart
Reactions: 97
She started out as a political commentator? Sorry, what? Discussions about the state of the world with your colleagues or friends doesn't equate to you being a political commentator.

Love how she has conveniently ignored the growing din of dissent around her Patreon on Twitter yesterday and then drops this. So gauche. On form, then.

And what happened to all the appointments yesterday?! More lies? Surely not!

I have lost all hope that she will ever get caught out and be held accountable. The grift will continue unabated forever. 😭😭😭😡😡😡
😂 colleagues 🤣 sentient mirror and the smegs, plus the toaster, not toaster

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 26
This is unbelievably creepy. It’s exactly the kind of thing I was referring to a few threads ago when I said she doesn’t have the right boundaries between humans and animals / owners and pets. Again, I’m really not suggesting anything actually wrong, just… off. I can’t pinpoint exactly why but it’s just not quite right. It makes my skin crawl. It’s disturbingly childlike.

And as for “t*g*l*s” (can’t write that word out without irreversible physical cringe), I think dear @TurnedUpInTipp said it best. Christ indeed.

• Heart
  • Sick
Reactions: 60
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.