Jack Monroe #332 A doctor, a teacher and a ceramicist walk into a bar

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm feeling a bit let down by Tinder Jack at the mo. I thought we'd be on to Sex
Boast Jack by now, "caught the postman sniffing the door- shagged him, got loads of matches on Tinder- shagged them, saw a man on a bus- shagged him and the driver."

• Haha
Reactions: 74
This is irony, si? A life beyond her wildest dreams? :unsure: That's not how I've been interpreting her tweets over the past few weeks. Surely her dreams include a forever house/stable increased income/another child/long term lover? I am most perplexed, ninnies!

I'm just going to lay on my chais lounge (said with a Del Boy accent, of course) for an hour or two to contemplate what she means. Or perhaps I'll have a nap. Probably the latter. :)

PS Slightly OT but Jackie magazine around 1970-ish for the conditioner/shaving tip, too! Although, personally, I liked those sandpaper-style pads that we used in a circular motion to remove our leg hair. Sounds ridiculous, but it really did work and was an excellent exfoliator (a Woollies favourite of mine, along with a bottle of Anne French Cleansing Milk!). Ah, those were the days! :LOL:
I've got dry skin and loved those sandpaper things. I'm sure I picked some up just before lockdown. Must dig them out again.

Reactions: 20
I like how she's just conveniently erased the dog, the teacher and the ceramicist from the picture so she can cosplay Recovery Jack today.

I always find the notion of her removing the lightbulb from SB's bedroom to be really nasty. When I was really little I was scared of the dark. Sure I didn't sleep with the light on but it was nice to know it was there. My mum would put the light on to read to me in bed or give me a cuddle. Did all of this happen in the dark at Jack's house?

I also find it interesting where she says: "If you don't have them, you can't turn them on." That to me implies not that she ran out of working lightbulbs and couldn't afford more (which is what I originally assumed) but that they all worked and she didn't want to use them so took them out. In a house with a small kid, that doesn't say poverty so much as it does performative poverty (Look, mum and dad, I'm so miserable and destitute I'm going round in the dark!)....even cruelty. Is it safe for a toddler to be toddling round in the dark, if your lightbulbs actually work and you've chosen to take them out? Why not just keep the bulbs in but be disciplined about their usage?

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 52
Also, never use shampoo in your washing machine, it's much cheaper in the long run to use actual laundry detergent because you aren't shortening the life of your machine
Also I feel like shampoo is a lot more “bubbly” than laundry detergent - speaking from accidental experience of putting a laundry detergent tab in a dishwasher, there’s every chance the extra bubbles will make it leak and possibly wreck your floors! My god she’s a wrongun!

Edit: sorry v behind somehow, Jack’s chaoses have ploughed onwards of course

Reactions: 37
a genuine cheap tip is to use cheap £1 conditioner when shaving legs and armpits. The razor glides, never get any cuts, lovely and smooth.

Thank you Superdrug, that will be £500 please.
Good for.removing nits in kids hair as well.
Also, I've learnt from youtube, washing up liquid is great for handwashing clothes. Personally I'd rather do that if I didn't have soap powder for the machine.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
She’s so weird I’ve never came across someone so desperate to be envied and pitied at the same time

It’s like her emotions are clothes in her wardrobe she can just choose each day

Does she pour herself cereal in the morning and think… ok, am I gonna say that i spilt this all down me and be sad? That it was the best cereal ever and be boastful? Or did it look up at me as I was pouring and decide it wants to duck me, and be desirable today?

• Haha
Reactions: 59
Jack, serious question: Why must you "write about this"? Christ alive, you're not Joseph Smith being visited by the angel Moroni. Just give it a rest. Leave them wanting more.

PS Guess who just read Under the Banner of Heaven
Also, in the nicest way possible, what on earth could Jack say about sobriety that's not been said before (and better) by other people?

Obsessed with that book! I first read it after I read JK's Into the Wild (highly recommend that too if you've not read it) and it's on rotation regularly. Have you seen any of the new TV series? I've been trying to find out how to watch it because I don't have Hulu.

• Heart
Reactions: 25
I like how she's just conveniently erased the dog, the teacher and the ceramicist from the picture so she can cosplay Recovery Jack today.

I always find the notion of her removing the lightbulb from SB's bedroom to be really nasty. When I was really little I was scared of the dark. Sure I didn't sleep with the light on but it was nice to know it was there. My mum would put the light on to read to me in bed or give me a cuddle. Did all of this happen in the dark at Jack's house?

I also find it interesting where she says: "If you don't have them, you can't turn them on." That to me implies not that she ran out of working lightbulbs and couldn't afford more (which is what I originally assumed) but that they all worked and she didn't want to use them so took them out. In a house with a small kid, that doesn't say poverty so much as it does performative poverty (Look, mum and dad, I'm so miserable and destitute I'm going round in the dark!)....even cruelty. Is it safe for a toddler to be toddling round in the dark, if your lightbulbs actually work and you've chosen to take them out? Why not just keep the bulbs in but be disciplined about their usage?
Lower wattage?

Reactions: 16
I love the hat so we can’t date her hair 😂

how does she always manage to look/dress so middle aged.

Also it’s probably fairly easy to pop round your mums and say, the shower in the flat is playing up can I have one here. Same with washing machine.
Oh there a water issue on my road can I put a load on here.

• Haha
Reactions: 56

It’s probably a complete fantasy and never happened. But it says a lot about her that her fantasies of poverty involve SB suffering, or not being considered by her at all.

• Sad
Reactions: 46
Lower wattage?
All kinds of things. Like, buy a couple of the super cheap ones from the Polski Sklep for 50p with the proceeds of the sale of your omega seamaster watch?

To me, the removing lightbulbs story reeks of performative tantrum. My sense is that she had a witness to this act - someone who she wanted to show how poor and destitute she was. Like, I can imagine her dad coming to see her, and her complaining about how she can't pay her bills. He gently chides her, in dadlike fashion, about her habit of leaving lights on. Jack kicks a huge tantrum and is all "FINE! I'LL UNSCREW THE BULBS THEN! If I don't have them, I can't use them!" and is bouncing onto a chair and unscrewing them in a fury in front of him.

It’s like her emotions are clothes in her wardrobe she can just choose each day
Narcs be like that. it is crazy-making.

• Haha
Reactions: 59
I love the hat so we can’t date her hair 😂

how does she always manage to look/dress so middle aged.
I know, it's weird. Thirties is considered pretty young nowadays, and Jack has a nice slim figure. I'd be wearing fashinable young looking clothes if I was her. She must want to look dowdy on purpose, which is odd considering she has lip fillers and does her hair in different styles. It's not as if she has no interest in her appearance.

Reactions: 33
Finished the photo she half started, all ready to share on tinder. You can thank me now Jack

Untitled.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 68
I can’t bring myself to watch, but it seems she also missed an opportunity to mention that good old soap does away with single-use plastics and is therefore better from an environment and climate perspective.

On that note any recommendations for good ones?
I got an offer for these guys from Martin Lewis’ email, and then they send out regular discount codes, making it fairly cheap. Nice products which last a decent amount of time:

There you go, actual money saving advice

• Heart
Reactions: 32
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.