Jack Monroe #325 She facetuned THE SKY

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It makes me wonder if it's the cognitive dissonance which is causing her atrocious behaviour and lashing out as all Jack has is constant reminders of her grifting and lies rather than any specific achievements..

Also editing to add that a first time buyer rarely spends half a million on a property- it's more like around £120k+ and then through improving the property, etc they can then sell and get up the next rung, and so forth. Unless you ARE privileged and wealthy then your ladder becomes an easy escalator to a half million property from the start- it can't be both :unsure:
I’ve never commented in here before, so HI!

But I just wanted to confirm this though. I have a house I bought for £450k in the South of England as a first time buyer 2 years ago. In order to afford this, me and my husband earn just over £80k combined, and we had a deposit of £100k which we had because of inheritance. (That’s both fortunate and unfortunate imo).

We we’re only able to do this because of our privilege and inheritance. There is no way you could possibly buy a £500k house if her bungalow is many many times her annual income as a screenshot says above.

House prices in the South East are insane, but equally there are houses that are cheaper. For instance it would have been 100K cheaper for us to buy in a “less nice” area. I live in one of the more expensive places and yet here houses start at 250-ish, so if she can afford £500k, she could definitely afford to buy a house now. Your first home doesn’t have to be your “forever” home.

I don’t know much about Jack (although I did enjoy reading the wiki the other day), but there is no way I would claim I was living in poverty. Yes I cannot afford everything I want, but I have a great lifestyle that I’m very grateful for. I am privileged and I believe you have to be to be looking at houses around the value of mine.

edit to add: your mortgage is usually 4.5X your income. So for 80k for example it would be £360k.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 61
All, can we reduce the long posts about ourselves. The thread is about Jack, not us. Thanks. - Please read our rules and why they're important
I moved 15 miles away from my support network (consisting of just my Grandparents who are in their 80s), because they area was bleeping bad for my mentals, is Lee Anderson’s area, Top 20 most deprived area and has zero opportunity.

It’s extremely affordable for rents and probably affordable for a single Mum to buy, but I don’t want to raise my kids there, with the crushing atmosphere of the place.

I have just relocated again due to the housing crisis, to a rural area - I don’t drive, not sure I can afford lessons but will have to make it work, or I can’t finish my degree once I’ve recovered from my bad mentals. Kids have all had to change schools.

It’s also a step up from the area I was in before, costs less to rent than the previous area, is even further from my support network, and I have one friend close by compared to the 8 I had within a 10 min bus hop before.

My middle kid is thriving here, she’s ActuallyAuDHD too and the quiet, nature filled open spaces have made a huge difference, which was one of the main reasons I took the house when I was offered it.

Because her health comes before the terror I have of moving areas, the expense of learning to drive, the stress of appeals because schools are full and we are very late in year.

Youngest kid is young enough to not be bothered by it. Eldest is rather anxious about a new school, which is entirely normal and has admitted she prefers it here to the inner city area.

Plus, they all needed a roof and after 11 months of searching within a 5 mile radius of the previous area, and getting nowhere because I’m a single mother, I had to realise it wasn’t going to happen and form a back up plan.

That’s another thing Jack has never faced - being unable to even get a viewing cos she’s a single muvva on benefits.

She’s rented luxury, expensive places since she was a teen, where as I spent 17-21 in duck awful house shares, two of them were dangerous and later condemned, and the housemates in the others were adult men twice my age and violent drug addicts.

I’ve then had to move all over the place, uprooting my kids multiple times, because of the rampant, unchecked, unchallenged discrimination.

I am genuinely baffled as to how she’s managed it.

And as for rent bouncing due to ADHD, the judges won’t accept that as an excuse when she finally gets slapped with a S8. Rent is the first thing on my mind, all the time. Probably cos my kids actually live with me, whereas hers doesn’t, so stability isn’t as much of a priority.[/SPOILER]

The inheritance thing is stupid too things can and do change. We were always told our family home would be split between us when the parents died, however one parent died young and the other sold it and gave us a bit and lived got in with their life. Needless to say apparently we will still get something later on,( not that any of us are bothered we would rather have the remaining parent) but it just shows you how things can change.
+ care costs are now means tested too.

Also in her area it looks as if the £750/800k properties are oftentimes potential £1mil properties that require modernisation (local fraus pls correct me of wrong?). If she inherits enough to buy one at 60 - 70, is she really going to want to do all that?

• Heart
Reactions: 32
If the house did belong to the landlady's mother, and was last sold 21 years ago, could this mean that the landlady is quite young? I wonder if that pummels Jackie's pumble?
Not necessarily. My parents bought a new home 3 years ago. No mortgage. It is a bungalow. They are in their mid 70s. My siblings and I range from 44 to 55

Reactions: 16
I’ve never commented in here before, so HI!

But I just wanted to confirm this though. I have a house I bought for £450k in the South of England as a first time buyer 2 years ago. In order to afford this, me and my husband earn just over £80k combined, and we had a deposit of £100k which we had because of inheritance. (That’s both fortunate and unfortunate imo).

We we’re only able to do this because of our privilege and inheritance. There is no way you could possibly buy a £500k house if her bungalow is many many times her annual income as a screenshot says above.

House prices in the South East are insane, but equally there are houses that are cheaper. For instance it would have been 100K cheaper for us to buy in a “less nice” area. I live in one of the more expensive places and yet here houses start at 250-ish, so if she can afford £500k, she could definitely afford to buy a house now. Your first home doesn’t have to be your “forever” home.

I don’t know much about Jack (although I did enjoy reading the wiki the other day), but there is no way I would claim I was living in poverty. Yes I cannot afford everything I want, but I have a great lifestyle that I’m very grateful for. I am privileged and I believe you have to be to be looking at houses around the value of mine.

edit to add: your mortgage is usually 4.5X your income. So for 80k for example it would be £360k.
I understand the property prices locally to Jack have done silly things since the pandemic. I think the local stats are up 30% compared to the national average of 16%.

However, unless Jack is looking for the nicest bits of Leigh, you can still find bungalows or houses in other decent areas of Southend for £400k, often less.

Re why doesn’t she get housing benefit… she won’t qualify if she has more than £16,000 savings.

Reactions: 20
Jack's Twitter followers are encouraging her to take out a TPO for the eucalyptus. They want her embroiled in a legal battle with her landlady. How stupid is that? The landlady is being sensible by taking steps to remove a tree that could become a danger to her tenants and neighbours. Jack wouldn't think of this because she doesn't see beyond her own comfort. And her followers want her to get into a fight cos they love the drama. They don't care that this could end up with Jack getting evicted.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 52
Looking at rightmove there’s not a thing under £500k

F82F5590-B784-4B22-AE96-6EB96BBE12B2.jpeg

Likely because this area’s probably managed to petition down any potential new builds & especially new build flats. Prices really do start at £550k, which would mean:

15% deposit = £82.5k
Stamp duty = ~£20k

= £102.5k to save in 3 years, assuming she has the £104k pa salary to meet the repayments.

Doesn’t feel v likely does it 😬

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 36
I love trees and am always sad when one is cut down, even when there is a valid reason for it (safety, disease etc) but I'd quite happily fire up the chainsaw and chop Jack's eucalyptus to the ground. Then I'd jump into a paddling pool of Jack's tears cackling wildly. It's a very risky tree to plant in the garden, I bought a tiny one in a 9cm pot last year which I'm growing in a bigger pot. It's now just short of a metre tall and it's growth is showing no sign of slowing down. You'd need to be unhinged or uninformed to plant something like that in the ground in the average garden.

If Jack was a remotely sensible human being she could approach Evil Landlady and make enquiries about replacing the eucalyptus with a more appropriate tree for the space. She could easily get a nice fruit tree for about £30 or so which would have the advantage of providing free food and helping out the bees with some earlyish blossom. Still as she's moving out early next year, I'm not sure why she's bothered.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 56
Lots of people are sadly being priced out of areas they’ve grown up in or wish to settle, for a number of reasons.
However it’s jacks sense of entitlement, that she deserves to have a certain size and standard of house in keeping with the pricey rental property she herself chose.
There’s not even the self awareness to say that yes she does want to have a forever home at this stage, regardless of its size, because she knows she moved SB about too much what with moving in with new partners on a whim, then uprooting him. She’s always playing the victim and with the expectation that everything will come her way regardless of her actions.

• Heart
Reactions: 36
In 3 years SB will be 15 apparoching GCSEs and looking toward the next chapter in his life. He will only be home probably for another 2 years after that, then off he may trot to live his life at uni/ college. Why would she waste money a big house when she will potentially on her own rattling around it. ( OH may also be present but that's not a given). She would be better looking for something small and manageable, if her health is shot now what's it going to be life in 10+ years etc.

Reactions: 38
One does not trim a species of Eucalyptus that is over 30 metres (100 feet) tall; nor does one park one's car or hammock under these widowmakers, either.

Signed, everyone in Australia

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 56
I know it is STC but what is the problem with a place like this? Rooms for her to rearrange, garden for her to be thirsty in, good amount on lease, really near the sea, period property she wants

(I know there are drawbacks and you are paying for certain things but smol pixie pays for expensive taste huh?)

Please don’t @ me 😂.

• Heart
Reactions: 24
....snipped by me........But wow, £550k is quite something. 3-beds with parking and garden go for £300k-£325k in a lot of the rest of the town. Some even with walking distance of the main food bank so she could actually go and do that regular volunteering at last! If she wasn’t a snob, she would be able to buy somewhere much, much more affordable.
On a grunk so don't know where this will land, Hi fellow local, on my side of town right opposite me, there is a 3 bed semi with nice garden, on a quiet road currently up for rent £1450 ! This is on a property which would sell for £350000. I can't believe Jack is only paying £1500, I would expect in her part of town it would be at least £2000 possibly much more.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 40
Jack's Twitter followers are encouraging her to take out a TPO for the eucalyptus. They want her embroiled in a legal battle with her landlady. How stupid is that? The landlady is being sensible by taking steps to remove a tree that could become a danger to her tenants and neighbours. Jack wouldn't think of this because she doesn't see beyond her own comfort. And her followers want her to get into a fight cos they love the drama. They don't care that this could end up with Jack getting evicted.
You have to apply to the Council to ask them to take out a TPO. Non native species like eucalyptus are rarely TPO'd in my experience. Also all the Council's I've worked for have massively overstretched tree officers and TPOing a tree takes a lot of legal paperwork so overall unlikely tbh. Silly squigs!

Reactions: 40
You have to apply to the Council to ask them to take out a TPO. Non native species like eucalyptus are rarely TPO'd in my experience. Also all the Council's I've worked for have massively overstretched tree officers and TPOing a tree takes a lot of legal paperwork so overall unlikely tbh. Silly squigs!
Yep we only have one officer for our whole county and they are BUSY dealing with actually beneficial trees and conservation as well as making sure that the trees with TPOs aren't a hazard and likely to squish someone

Reactions: 28
Doesn't see beyond her immediate comfort.
If it fell down on the burglary shed it'd be a different story.

• Haha
  • Angry
Reactions: 30
Looking at rightmove there’s not a thing under £500k

View attachment 1354110

Likely because this area’s probably managed to petition down any potential new builds & especially new build flats. Prices really do start at £550k, which would mean:

15% deposit = £82.5k
Stamp duty = ~£20k

= £102.5k to save in 3 years, assuming she has the £104k pa salary to meet the repayments.

Doesn’t feel v likely does it 😬
Doesn’t surprise me because Thorpe Bay is the name of a very small area in Southend, with mainly posh houses. it is something like a mile wide.
Search for the whole of Southend, inc Shoeburyness, putting you only 1-2 miles away at that and you might see a different picture.

• Heart
Reactions: 34
I honestly don't know why she doesn't move her and her kid to her parents and save that way. That means she will also have support in hand when the gremlins set in and can also have a decent run at saving for a forever home. It's what I would do I. He situation as many others have done. It's not seen as weird to move back to your parents anymore because for many it's the only way to get a chance to get decent savings.
And get a proper job with regular hours and income - no brainier surely?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 29
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.