Jack Monroe #325 She facetuned THE SKY

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Our lovely neighbour had a eucalyptus tree in his neck garden, I loved it and kept meaning to buy one for ours. Came home one day to find it was no more. When I asked him about it he said it was going to end up huge (even our 80 foot back gardens wouldn't have been big enough), it had very shallow roots and because we are built on sand it could cause serious subsidence for both of us so it had to go.

That was fine by me, it was his tree after all and he was thinking what would be best for both of us.

• Heart
Reactions: 47
As someone who has no interest in (and tbh probably no chance of) ever owning property… how is a £440k mortgage for a single person in any way “security”? It seems to me - coming from a background where owning becomes a burden of maintenance costs on sub-par housing stock, subsequent remortgages to maintain leading to negative equity, and making it even scarier to lose your job because you’ll have no support from the state - that for a self-employed person with self-confessed problems managing money this is a huge amount of debt to have hanging over you for a few decades?

I’m definitely aware that for my friends whose parents gave them fat deposits, and who have good professional jobs and spouses with the same, and who will probably inherit and pay off their mortgages early, owning is ideal for them. But for me it’s a scary prospect of having a money pit that I’d have had to compromise on area to buy. It very much shows the background Jack has come from that she doesn’t consider the possibility that owning can go really horribly wrong as it has for e.g. my parents and some other relatives, who bought when they would have been better off renting.

• Heart
Reactions: 76
Is the back garden actually 120ish feet long?
According to Google earth's measuring tool it's about 70ft long. The entire plot is about 130ft long (and about 40ft if anyone is interested)

All of her finance stuff just doesn't make sense. If it had been your number one priority FOR A DECADE then you wouldn't have bought the sideboards, the new sofa with the Katie Hopkins money and all of the other spendy stuff. Yes you can have nice things when saving for a deposit but nice doesn't have to mean Tiffany or penghalions (if that's how you spell it). She could easily have saved £100k in 10 years.

• Heart
Reactions: 51
She'll be eating a roast beef Monster Munch butty dipped in Marmite.
So would we if I'd splashed out on a joint of lamb, even lamb shoulder or chops, as prices are at the moment. Because I have to think ahead and feed my teen son and OH. That's not to say I don't treat myself to things I like to eat if they are both out. I absolutely do. But I don't bang on about £20/week shops and living off value beans for a living.

• Heart
Reactions: 41
No, because there are two separate train lines taking Southenders to London in less than an hour, these days it’s a relatively expensive place to live (especially compared to private sector salaries in the local area, which are tit) - it’ll be £300k+ for a 3-bed house, even a terrace. You could get a nice 3-bed flat for less, but then you have the attendant issues of flat maintenance and dealing with freeholder etc.
Wow that's mad! I'm also in a town with direct commute into London (and live 10 min walk from the station) and the most recent houses I've seen selling on my road have all been for the 210-250 mark. All terraces, some needing work but most more than livable - pretty typical first time buy sort of properties.

Reactions: 28
Loool good on that squig for asking. What a ridiculous load of bollocks tho? It’s a privilege to be able to find the 10-15% deposit in 3 years, surely she’s not suggesting she’s going to save to pretty much buy it outright with a tiny top up? Loan implies tens of thousands?

If she was lucky enough to get a 10% product for >0.5mil property (mainstream lenders/products tend to be 15%) then she’d still need to maintain a £106k pa salary for the 30 year term!

4CCFFE60-D721-4BCD-88B6-62B81413F0BE.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: 34
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.