Jack Monroe #323 Two mini breaks in two months, what in the Budget Jones's Diary is going on?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My God she’s disgusting.

And I know we jest but she’s not a bleeping hoarder. This is so offensive to people who really have this disorder, and their long suffering families (85% of hoarders do not understand/believe that they’re hoarders). Jack’s house has too much stuff but it’s functional, and sufficiently clean and organised. She has a compulsive spending problem.

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 51
Just because you have debts (or old CCJs) doesn't mean you're poor. My fella is just waiting for a default to expire from when he struggled with money. He doesn't struggle anymore but only paid off his debts in the last couple of years. He earns more than I do and isn't poor by ANY definition. Loads of people have debts.

She's a moron.

• Heart
Reactions: 53
A follower replied saying therapy isn't so easy to get and explains their experience.

Jack replied:
Screenshot_20220616-110754_Fenix.jpg

Follower further explains their problem but then deletes the tweet.

ETA
Screenshot_20220616-111401_Fenix.jpg

Screenshot_20220616-111552_Fenix.jpg

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 51
She's a bleeping bleep. Takes work from other people when she's minted and then says it pays buttons. Being on UC when you are single is buttons you grifting twit

• Heart
Reactions: 38
I’ve been busy so on a grunk, please excuse the lateness, but I’ve two observations from the last couple of threads.

1) Jack’s tattoos. I’m not going to critique the quality of them, as the owner as a few crap tattoos myself it’d be glass houses, but my thoughts are about the placement. Most people who have a few tattoos have them spread out, arms yes, but also legs, back, shoulders and so on. Jack’s are just on her arms and hands, they’re clearly perforative look at me, I’m such an edge lord tattoos. No one who actually cared about the artistic look of the tattoos would cram so many different styles together in such a small area.

2) Cleanliness and class. My experience is that working class and lower middle class people (I’d categorise myself as the latter) are very hot on being clean, well turned out and dress up for events. I had this ingrained into me as a child, although I didn’t realise how deep it went until I had my own child. Most of the friends I made when my daughter was small were a bit posher than me, when we met up I often noticed that their children were wearing their breakfast and had wild hair. I’m not making a judgment here but I simply could not go out unless my daughter was wearing clean clothes and had neatly brushed hair, I could almost hear my grandmother saying “what will people think if you let her go out looking like that?” Looking unkempt or not making an effort at an event is not a sign of poverty, it’s either teenage (not thirty something) behaviour or the privilege of people who don’t fear being looked down on.
I don’t think it is about class here. It’s something else.

The students around me all dress really scruffily regardless of class (the ones who drive ridiculously expensive cars or the ones who come into the shop and chat about their worries about the university raising college rents again). They don’t dress up to go out or to meet the VC and others at important meetings. We try to rationalise it but we haven’t been able to. I saw a TikTok of recently someone (who is a student here but has a v large anti-diet following) laughing about looking homeless 🤬.

If you have been brought up to respect a dress code and yourself (MH issues notwithstanding), then you would wear clean clothes that are in keeping with the situation or environment that you are in, regardless of what class you are. The students here don’t. Jack doesn’t. It’s like it is being rebellious to not look clean or wear what is appropriate.

I don’t mean to be antagonistic. I just can’t understand it. Having read your edited post, you have it in a nutshell. Acting like a teenager and entitled beyond belief.

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 35
Got your therapy on the NHS did you?

Who paid for the months of therapy last year?
Doesn’t she have three therapists on speed dial? That’s pretty impressive when most of us can’t even get through to our GPs surgery on the phone. Also speed dial? In the era when most people have got rid of their land lines isn’t everyone “on speed dial”?

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 37
Doesn’t she have three therapists on speed dial? That’s pretty impressive when most of us can’t even get through to our GPs surgery on the phone. Also speed dial? In the era when most people have got rid of their land lines isn’t everyone “on speed dial”?
Did she duck go the NHS route. Especially not in the last couple of years with the pandemic.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 50
About the ONS call each week. We all have Teams / Zoom now. In 2015, ONS employed 197 people in Greater London.
What is the possibility there is a weekly meeting in the calendar? I'd say fairly good but that doesn't tell us who is on it, how often it gets cancelled. My guess is there is a group, but only one person turns up to minute the meeting. No-one there who can make decisions or change things.

Reactions: 21
My God she’s disgusting.

And I know we jest but she’s not a bleeping hoarder. This is so offensive to people who really have this disorder, and their long suffering families (85% of hoarders do not understand/believe that they’re hoarders). Jack’s house has too much stuff but it’s functional, and sufficiently clean and organised. She has a compulsive spending problem.
People who hoard often have the council refuse to take their bins for weeks on end because of “contamination”.

People who hoard often have the housing association/or their own contractors refuse to work mid-job so they are left without a kitchen or bathroom or dangerous electrics.

People who hoard have no idea how to get themselves out of their situation even though they desperately want to and so their lives close in and they probably won’t tweet about their collection of spoons or sideboards or recipe books.

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 43
Did she duck go the NHS route. Especially not in the last couple of years with the pandemic.
Fairly sure the NHS didn't pay for her dayhab or the months in the aparthotel (incidentally dayhab is meant to be the cheaper option for people who can't afford residential, she'd probably have been better off going residential rather than paying for the dayhab and then separately paying for the aparthotel). But hey, this wouldn't be Jack if she could just EVEN ONCE acknowledge her huge privileges.

People who hoard often have the council refuse to take their bins for weeks on end because of “contamination”.

People who hoard often have the housing association/or their own contractors refuse to work mid-job so they are left without a kitchen or bathroom or dangerous electrics.

People who hoard have no idea how to get themselves out of their situation even though they desperately want to and so their lives close in and they probably won’t tweet about their collection of spoons or sideboards or recipe books.
People who hoard also don't tend rent skips on the regular.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 57
Yeah yeah. Absolute buttons. Here are the suggested rates according to the NUJ and there’s no way she’s getting the minimum. And even if she is, there’s no way she didn’t bang out that crap in half an hour, so I’d say that’s fair pay.

Lot of stuff in the news today about people who RENT. Looking forward to Jack’s take on this in 5-6 days.

6A781813-E010-4364-88A8-2331B60062A4.jpeg

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 35
She had a 'crisis team' at one point, too. I'm not saying she hasn't had her six sessions counselling at one point. However this is just her usual I am so delicate and important everyone softly scooped me up and gently carried me to a therapist.

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 37
I don’t think it is about class here. It’s something else.

The students around me all dress really scruffily regardless of class (the ones who drive ridiculously expensive cars or the ones who come into the shop and chat about their worries about the university raising college rents again). They don’t dress up to go out or to meet the VC and others at important meetings. We try to rationalise it but we haven’t been able to. I saw a TikTok of recently someone (who is a student here but has a v large anti-diet following) laughing about looking homeless 🤬.

If you have been brought up to respect a dress code and yourself (MH issues notwithstanding), then you would wear clean clothes that are in keeping with the situation or environment that you are in, regardless of what class you are. The students here don’t. Jack doesn’t. It’s like it is being rebellious to not look clean or wear what is appropriate.

I don’t mean to be antagonistic. I just can’t understand it.
Completely agree. It's disrespectful and plain arrogant. Also she dresses herself up to take selfies at home, make up on and hair or wig curled, but doesn't think she has to make an effort at an awards night? And she's proud of it?

• Angry
  • Heart
Reactions: 49
That fuardian article today has made me totally furious, more than anything else she has written or done. I've had it up to here with her crap. My parents were brought up in real poverty for different reasons. My dad was always hungry as a small boy. My mum was raised by a single parent in the 40s and 50s when there was NO state support and huge stigma. My grandma worked full time and was also chaotic ( but truly loving) and my mum had to look after herself. Things got so bad that at one point that she had to go and live with her grandparents hundreds of miles away for a few years.One of my mums oft repeated memories was them hiding when the rent man knocked on the door. Both my parents had long term effects from their childhoods.

When they first married and had me they lived in a caravan miles from anywhere with no transport and with no hot water. Fortunately within a year they got a caravan on a council site in town and then a few years later a council house. When we were kids they were so so poor. Me and my sibs did not really realise this at the time as they did their damdest to protect us from the knowledge. It was only as we got older that we stated to notice the difference. I guess all those around us were similar. It was only starting secondary school and making friends from wealthier backgrounds that started to bring it into focus. And then cos they worked like dogs, my dad working all the hours god sent and both working their way up from leaving school at 14 and 15 with no qualifications we started to become more comfortable. And by God was my mum upwardly mobile and ambitious for her family. And totally obsessed with security. She could never understand when any of her kids gave up a 'good job'. And never understand a good wage not being our major focus in life. Point being , and I'm not saying this is the same for everyone in any way, they did not transfer their traumas onto us. ( well at least not those of poverty , they transferred plenty of other bloody crap🤣) I know lots of people from similar backgrounds to my own. Conversations reveal similar stories.....parents absolutely determined for better for their children than they had. And my oh my, the keeping up appearances. Unreal. I remember my mum , who was ALWAYS dressed to impress absolute charity shop Queen and label snob feeling fit to remind me going for a job interview at the grand age of 32...." you'll have to dress up a bit you know. You can't go in that crap you normally wear".Haha , thanks for that mother". ( much missed RIP) .Jack just has no idea how poor people think, feel or behave.

• Heart
Reactions: 77
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.